Im converted :D

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lewiman201

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2008
wokingham
just a quick note to say...
Thanks to Scots_Charles_River i was able to try hammocking and i must say it is much better in my opinion than the bivvi bag i have been using. So a big thanks to Scots_Charles_River.
As my new dd tarp has arrived today i hope to be off to the woods to spend the night in it :D

Lewis

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Did you find it a lot harder to get up in the morning ? Sometimes when the rain's literally bouncing off the tarp it's nice to just pull the sleeping bag over your head and have another 30 minutes.

lewiman201

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2008
wokingham
Did you find it a lot harder to get up in the morning ? Sometimes when the rain's literally bouncing off the tarp it's nice to just pull the sleeping bag over your head and have another 30 minutes.

Yeah its just so comfy compared to sleeping on the ground i can see what people say about not wanting to go back to thier beds :D

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I've been away on a Scout Leaders weekend and took my hammock and huge tarp.

I was asked to do a short session on hammocking on the Sunday morning, which ended up as three sessions, as word got out how comfy it was and more and more folk wandered down to try it!

Most of the Leaders had never tried a hammock and were a bit dubious to say the least - until they got in and tried it!

I'm expecting to see a lot more Leaders swinging from trees in our area from now on!

Simon

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
The problem with hammocks is that you need trees!

I was told many years ago and have subsequently read, that it's inadviseable to camp in trees. Woods are often damp and gloomy and if it has been raining, the trees continue to drip for a long time.

I bivvied under trees once and a high winds sprung up during the night. A branch as thick as my arm fell across my legs, but fortunately as it was rotten it broke as one end hit the ground first. Gave me a start, though and I feel much more comfortable camping in the open.

Jim

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The problem with hammocks is that you need trees!

I was told many years ago and have subsequently read, that it's inadviseable to camp in trees. Woods are often damp and gloomy and if it has been raining, the trees continue to drip for a long time.

I bivvied under trees once and a high winds sprung up during the night. A branch as thick as my arm fell across my legs, but fortunately as it was rotten it broke as one end hit the ground first. Gave me a start, though and I feel much more comfortable camping in the open.

Jim

That's why we always check for widow makers before pitching the tarp.

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
That's why we always check for widow makers before pitching the tarp.

But you can't be 100% sure - but perhaps it adds a frisson of excitement if the wind picks up!

Incidentaly, my wife like pine cones, and I bought her a coulter pine cone from the States last year. They're the biggest pine cones in the World and are nicknamed 'widow makers'. Workers where they grow need to wear hard hats!

Jim

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
But you can't be 100% sure - but perhaps it adds a frisson of excitement if the wind picks up!

Incidentaly, my wife like pine cones, and I bought her a coulter pine cone from the States last year. They're the biggest pine cones in the World and are nicknamed 'widow makers'. Workers where they grow need to wear hard hats!

Jim

Just had to google the coulter cones, now they are seriously big.

One of those in a hobbo stove would keep you going all night long.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE