Im carving a green man

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Jon
That is an stunning first attempt at carving without any training. :You_Rock_

At your age now is the time to try and make a living at this before you get trapped into something you dont like by commitments.

Alf

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
I can't really say anything apart from what has already been said. Its very good and truly inspiring work. It makes me want to start carving again.

Make every cut with pride

Andy

In Wood

Nomad
Oct 15, 2006
Leyland, Lancashire.
Hi Jon
As you may gather from my site name I do carvings "In Wood", if that is your first wood carving I doff my cap to you sir, that is excellent. The most important thing you have said though is YOU ENJOY IT. :)
That is what it is all about, not the money, not the fame, but to love what you do.
Jon, keep going and keep enjoying it. I hope we meet some day and exchange stories and carving tips.
I have never posted pictures of my carvings as I have 1) not signed up to a photo bucket site and 2) I do not feel my work warrants fame or praise, although I have sold many, I prefere to give them as gifts or exchanges.
There will always be those who do not carve as well as you, help them if you are able, there will always be those who carve better than you (thought few looking at this) listen to and watch them.

If you truly desire to do this as a job, start by building a portfolio, as someone else has said, take pictures of every piece even in progress works, nock up some business cards on your computer and go to craft fairs, to look and sell. Start small but always think big, if it takes off pack in your job and go for it, if not keep doing it for the love of it.
One word of warning, if it takes off, you HAVE to do it and as we all know something you love doing some of the time can be a bu@@er if you have to do it all of the time.

I sincerely wish you all the very best of luck.
;)

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
"Happy is the man who can make a living from something he does for love"

What more can I say that someone else hasn't already....oh yes, how much for a piece like that?

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I echo all that has been said before. If I could turn back the clock, knowing what I know now, I'd have pursued a career as a craft worker, wood, leather and whatever stemmed off from that when I was your age. Build yourself a portfolio. Take photos and make a professional presentation portfolio - one that you can keep adding to all the time. If you want to get some qualifications in the meantime, do the craft work part time, but keep doing it. You know, a career in arboriculture or/and forestry would probably suit you down to the ground (I say this as a parent who would like to see my child getting some 'proper' professional qualifications). Such a career would not only provide you with an income (for family security - you're going to get yourself a wife and kids some day) it will also provide you with a source of raw material to make stuff from and give you many contacts within the trade. Start small and think big, but remember to have a plan B.

The green man is excellent Jon. Keep us posted as you progress.

Eric

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Another astonishing piece of work there Jon.

I'll second Eric and Robin's last posts. Pursue it because it's what you love, but be sure to get your exams etc. as a fallback. Boring advice over;)

Now, in the short-term, put me down for one of these carvings (after Red). And name your price.:D

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I remember when I first looked at some of your work (and the quality of) it on here and automatically assumed you were much, older. (Imagine my confusion on a later post when you mentioned still living with your parents). I sat open mouthed when I realised you were only 17 then.

Your work should be used as an inspiration to everyone. (Even though some of us that have been trying things like this for a while may well feel slighly demoralised at the superb quality of your first attempt.:eek:)

As has been said. If you ever do decide to start selling your work I can guarentee you'd get great interest. take the advice offered already on this thread as it is all good and seriously consider things.

A saying I always loved is. " Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life."

Good luck whatever you choose to do and post more pictures soon

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
You're getting some good advice from everyone on here Jon, all that I can add is I think that what ever you do , or want to do in life, you will achieve. You have good qualitys, patience, inspiration and talent, Everything will fall into place for you, dont sweat it.

Simon.

Arth

Nomad
Sep 27, 2007
west sussex
You have a talent there and to do a greenman as a first project as well.
You could sell your art at wood fairs and craft fairs

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
wow! I cant beleive the ammount of interest in my work! i put this thread up less than 24 hours ago and we are already onto the second page!

Thankyou so much for all the advice that you have given and this is something that i am definately goting to persue.

Im off to university next year to do a Carfts and sculpture type course so i think this will improve my skills further... I think a lot skills are learnt at home though and im so glad i havnt just sat around watching the TV for the past years like i know some people my age do.

Im so thankfull for my skills and do never take them for granted...i am thankfull for my hands with which i make these things with.

Your comments make really do give me a lot of energy to continue my work!

Many thanks!!!!:)

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
ok heres an update... ive been working hard on it the last few days. Im getting there, a couple more leaves to carve, then i'll sharpen the design up in places and add final touches. The background needs leveling out and i may deepen some of the design around the edges to make it stand out more.

gm3.jpg

gm4.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE