I'm camping tonight and I think I may freeze!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
There are all the usual things like: have a good meal with plenty of carbs, wear a decent hat/balaclava, make sure your sleeping bag's up to it, use a decent mat/insulation underneath you, get a fleece liner, use a hot water bottle.

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
I have been known to take my hot water bottle out with me when its either really cold or if ive done loads of walking and my back is achey :eek:

I also sleep on 2 sheepskins which are great insulation.

Enjoy!

Thorfinn

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2006
West Lothian
Last year i went camping with a dome tent, furry rug and a summer pillow and was bloody roasting. Slept in ma underwear. mates in the other tent wear freezin. :D
Make sure you have something good under you like a foam mat as the ground is quite bad for takin the heat out of you. Oh and a hat. ;)

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
I'm not being funny or awkward or anything to you guys, but to be honest it doesn't really get that cold in england, were lucky if we get to -3 down south.

As you have all said, as long as you have a decent layer of insulation underneath you be it a thermarest or closed cell foam mat and a decent sleeping bag you've nothing to worry about. Oh and a warm brew in the morning.

There was a good thread a while ago about tips for living in cold/ arctic conditions... maybe someone could dig it out...

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
billycan said:
I'm not being funny or awkward or anything to you guys, but to be honest it doesn't really get that cold in england, were lucky if we get to -3 down south.

As you have all said, as long as you have a decent layer of insulation underneath you be it a thermarest or closed cell foam mat and a decent sleeping bag you've nothing to worry about. Oh and a warm brew in the morning.

There was a good thread a while ago about tips for living in cold/ arctic conditions... maybe someone could dig it out...
A big fury dog can also be handy as a hot water bottle! :)

Thorfinn

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2006
West Lothian
Last year i went camping about this time and took a tent, furry rug, a duvet and a pillow.......And i was roasting, so much so that i slept in just my underwear. My other friends were in a big dome tent, all eight of them fully clothed and they frooze their asses of. :rolleyes:

As long as you have somthing insulating between you and the ground. As the ground can take the heat out of you really quickly. Oh and a hat ;)

Too warm Thorfinn :(

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
billycan said:

I was working outside night before last and half way up the radio mast it was -4oC. which is pretty cold after spending most of the night in an
air con'd office

billycan

Forager
Jan 21, 2006
Sussex
Hey tadpole, -4 is pretty good! you'd still be nice and warm in most good sleeping bags though. i slept out in my hammock the other week in my golden eagle and was toasty. I'm sleeping out tonight in my new tipi tonight too... but i dont think it will be anywhere near -4oC

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i heard on one of mr mears's shows that on a cold night you should drink a hot drink just before you go to bed, it is easier to keep warm than to warm up apparently
leon

stuartmac5

Oct 14, 2006
southampton, uk
Gonna give it a go tonight again,

Last night in a DD Camping hammock on the inside with an Airic mat and a snooza 300 sleeping bag was lovely and warm. woke up this morning feeling chipper and full of beans. it only got down to 3 oC which was higher than i expected.
one question? how did i start off 4 ft off the deck last night in the hammock and end up with my bum on the floor this morning? do the DD ropes stretch with moisture? :confused:

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Number one rule I learned in my survival courses and my own personal experience.. you should double the amount of insulation beneath you than you have above you. The ground absorbs alot of your heat (conduction), and will leave you chilled very quickly!

Good luck man! ;)

Askdamice

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2006
Windsor Ontario Canada
I saw a Ray Mears trick where you give your feet a good bath in cold water just before you go to bed. I was out a few weekends ago (-21 with windchill) and couldn't believe the difference it made. It felt like I had a couple for hot rocks in my bedroll! I use a wool blanket w/ an army poncho and 4fingers high ground insulation of leaf litter and reeds. Good luck

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
stuartmac5 said:
one question? how did i start off 4 ft off the deck last night in the hammock and end up with my bum on the floor this morning? do the DD ropes stretch with moisture? :confused:

Stretch, if you mean the cord they supply then yes yes they do, but not that much. If you mean the woven tapes they supply with the new DD hammocks yes as well, again not that much (6 inchs to a foot) but any knots you tie into them slip when under weight bearing loads, I use the "ray knot" (not sure what it is called but I will try and find a link) seems to work with no slip

knot that works
Being left handed my knot seems to end up upside down (you see what I mean when you have mastered the knot.) but it still works and will hold my weight without slipping,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE