Illegal Camping in Stansted?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Think about it this way. I could've come down to England as a Scot and spat at English law, but I'm actively trying to advocate and defend camping WITH permission and yet for some reason I'm being antagonized. I have a feeling I'm getting more flack than people who actually camp without permission. Funny how that works, isn't it?

Last edited:

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Have you thought, it's down to an individual do do what they do and face the repercussions if they are caught or approached by the authorities.

Its is all well and good offering advice to others but maybe this guy was homeless and needed somewhere to stay. Maybe he was the landowner and could have reported you for trespass on his land.

Sometimes its its easier no matter how good your intent to keep yourself to yourself.

I'm well aware of that. That's reasonable and completely understandable, but I didn't want to take the chance. I gave it a go for the first time. This was my first time speaking to a camper with this intent, by the way.

So the moral of the story is: just let people do what they want. Alright. Next time I see something similar I'll do my uttermost best to just leave it be and let possible vandals get away with it.

Sounds good.

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Typical response that I expected.
Let possible vandals get away with it. You didn't stop him doing what he was doing and if you were to encounter possible vandals you may not walk away from it.

I don't agree that people should get away with things like this and I don't agree with vandalism. I had an incident in a local woodland where someone had been hacking away at some burl and made a real mess of it. They have probably done irreversible damage to the tree, In my mind it was someone who knew what they were after making things even worse.

Last edited:

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Come on guys
The OP asked if anyone else had come across experiences where people were camping where they shouldn't be

I have
When I was 'keepering I came across some young lads camping in my patch. They were spending the week camping and smoking quite a lot of things other than they should!
I asked them to move on and went back later to check

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
At risk of playing devils advocate. I see both sides entirely. Had you stuck your nose into my basha when I'm out camping, I might be slightly urked, if you were anything other than friendly and polite. But, at the same time, if I pitched up so blazenly I deserve everything I get really...

But I would suggest the fire scars are the bigger issue. Once a fire scar is in place, others find it is OK to use that spot. What starts as a old bloke on his own minding his own business, becomes a group of drunks leaving litter.

I don't think you were in the wrong. But I also wouldn't have done it the same way.

J

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Typical response that I expected.
Let possible vandals get away with it. You didn't stop him doing what he was doing and if you were to encounter possible vandals you may not walk away from it.
So do you really think that the right, correct and just thing to do is to leave it be? I disagree, but I won't be doing it any more. I've learned a valuable lesson today. If you actively try to do good on BCUK, you end up being scorned.

It's hilariously paradoxical. All I tried to do was advise someone that it's illegal to camp in England and because of that I've gotten a whole bunch of negative comments that have apparently confused my intent.

Let me spell it out for you.

I wasn't ordering anyone. I didn't go there to stick my nose in someone's business. I was trying to do a good thing.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I don't need it spelling out I can read what you typed. People are giving an opinion on your actions.

Oh and the comment about letting vandals get away with it, wasn't saying they should it was supposed to be a quote from yourself.

Last edited:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
"I didn't go there to stick my nose in someone's business"

but you did !

just think of this....that poor old sod has for what ever reason been made homeless, all he has is a tent, he might be trying to hold down a job but it's hard living as he does, some how on Monday morning he has to try and make himself presentable enough to go to work, maybe showering in the local swimming baths, maybe at a hostel or something, it's difficult but so far he's managed to hold it together, maybe moving every week or so to try and stay out of trouble with the authorities or the neds. He has no transport so he has to stay local for work / family / friends.

and then some interfering snot nosed young bloke with a strange accent turns up and tries to do good ! ...... "You can't stay here mate, oh no, it's not allowed you know, best you move on mate for your own good. "

you were lucky not to get a punch in the face and told to "F" off because by god you deserved it !

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
"I didn't go there to stick my nose in someone's business"

but you did !

just think of this....that poor old sod has for what ever reason been made homeless, all he has is a tent, he might be trying to hold down a job but it's hard living as he does, some how on Monday morning he has to try and make himself presentable enough to go to work, maybe showering in the local swimming baths, maybe at a hostel or something, it's difficult but so far he's managed to hold it together, maybe moving every week or so to try and stay out of trouble with the authorities or the neds. He has no transport so he has to stay local for work / family / friends.

and then some interfering snot nosed young bloke with a strange accent turns up and tries to do good ! ...... "You can't stay here mate, oh no, it's not allowed you know, best you move on mate for your own good. "

you were lucky not to get a punch in the face and told to "F" off because by god you deserved it !
Complete and utter conjecture with vile language added on top. Lovely.

You have as much information as I do on the man. That is to say none at all. I went there with entirely good intentions. I got given abuse by the man. I then left him to his buisness. I have done no wrong.

Your constant antagonizing of me is dreadfully boring, Robbi. Calling me a "snot nosed young bloke" isn't getting you anywhere.

Alright. I see it painfully clear. There are some people on Bushcraft UK who despise me for some reason and enjoy seeing the negative where there is none at all. There are some people on Bushcraft who are genuine advocates of camping illegally and ruining conservation areas. Good. You've just announced that on the entire forum.

Edit: I will not have people assume that I went there to try and attack an old "homeless" man. That's utter nonsense.

Last edited:
Right.
everyone take a breath.
step away from the keyboards.
Make a coffee/tea.
have a smoke if you do so.

We've established perhaps the way it was done was not the best
one mod has asked that we revert to the OP's question about has anything similar happened to them.
I'll ask again that we do so.
Without personal attacks preferably.

I'm lucky that my woods is only mine so I know anyone else there hasnt permission to be there.
I've had shooters appear soon got sent on their way (nerve wrackin discussing who's allowed t be there with a chap with a shotty over their arm)

elliott92

Mar 6, 2012
surrey
funnily enough, ive wild camped in that wood a few times. stop using the word illegal. you sound like the kind of person that makes it hard to do, what we do. its a civil offence not a criminal offence. if/when i wild camp there again, if you/anyone else other than a ranger or the actual owner rolls up on me and starts moaning i'll tell you/them to sling your hook.

how about chatting to the bloke next time? offer to have a brew with him, you might learn something

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Mods, just close the thread. I give up. There are a few people on BCUK who it seems actively seek to (I'll say it one last time) see the negative in everything I post where there is none. The majority of you are absolutley fine and a pleasure to talk to, but this has got to stop. All I did was calmly and quietly advise an elderly man that perhaps it's not best to camp there and suddenly I've been made out to be a "snot nosed young bloke" who is ordering an "old homeless helpless man" to leave his place. Utter paradoxical, unjust nonsense without any logical foundation. I just tried to do a good thing and I've been made out to be the person who is in the wrong. Unbelievable. I will now ignore those people with whom I've argued. Everyone else, thanks for your contributions.

Last edited:

Mongoose13

Feb 17, 2011
Don't close it just yet, it's quite interesting, and in answer to the original OP's question, I too have had a similar experience, I on the other hand approached the camp site with caution, announcing my arrival, a chap appeared from his shelter with a smile, we chatted for a while, about the weather, gear etc, and I left.
I did not feel it my place to tell the bloke, that he was camping illegally, but how was I to know any way, he may well have been the owner.

Anyroadup, we all deal with situations differently, and your approach and advice was not appreciated, some folk who camp alone want just that, be be alone.

funnily enough, ive wild camped in that wood a few times. stop using the word illegal. you sound like the kind of person that makes it hard to do, what we do. its a civil offence not a criminal offence. if/when i wild camp there again, if you/anyone else other than a ranger or the actual owner rolls up on me and starts moaning i'll tell you/them to sling your hook.

how about chatting to the bloke next time? offer to have a brew with him, you might learn something

Please note BCUK doesnt condone camping without landowners permission.

Wild camping isnt illegal it means not camping in a field at a campsite

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I have come across people camping before but would not have approached them, just leave them be.

What you should have done is to contact the land owner, easy enough to do. We only have your side of the story as to how you approached the old boy

Faz

Mar 24, 2011
Cheshire
I would suggest next time just contact the relevant authority and let them worry about it. Yes it's a nuisance and it grates people that others can and will so this but no need for the confrontation, especially if a few choice words are offensive. As mentioned, it could have been anyone tooled up with anything or just generally handy.

Way and means of ensuring people like this are dealt with and these days it ain't a friendly word as no one can be trusted.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Ozzy's and Kpeter's responses are perfectly logical and I agree with them. I can see why my actions weren't the best choice. I should've just left it, but I felt at the time I might as well speak to the person. I thought perhaps I would've gotten a man who would be thankful for the advice, but I was wrong. Okay, in that sense I was wrong. But I will not have people dreaming up complete nonsense about me being a "snot nosed" nosey, negative person who seeks to tell people what to do. I will say for the last time that all I tried to do was help the person by suggesting that it might be a good idea to move somewhere else because it's illegal to camp without permission, especially in a very popular public forest. The statements by some people in this thread are completely unfounded and wholly exaggerated.

Edit: In fact, it's worse than that. There are some people in this thread who seem to have dreamed up a story and image in their heads that I actually meant the man harm and went to intentionally disturb him.

Last edited:

Mongoose13

Feb 17, 2011
I come across people illegally or stealth camping, all of the time where I live and see the remains of their camps even more frequently, I leave them totally alone, as it is none of my business, however you approached your scenario, could have been fraught with personal danger. I think you were very lucky, just to be told to get lost, or however he worded it, you then should have done, what all good ramblers would have done, and gone and reported him to the relevant authority.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Yes Mongoose 13 but if he really was the owner poor old TH would have looked a tad silly; what a conundrum to place before a man.I know what i would have done

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE