Illegal Camping in Stansted?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hullo, all! How are we today? I've just had a rather peculiar encounter. I'm glad it was brief.

I was in lovely Stansted forest doing some ID today for my course and came across a tent out in the open. In a conservation work area, no less. I have to say it slightly angered me, especially after seeing the large fire scars and logs everywhere. Keep in mind this was 1) Out in the open in a public area and 2) In an section of the woods that previously had no entry signs. I walked to the tent, knelt down and there was sat in the tent an elderly man with a rather unkempt appearance. I told him calmly that it's illegal to camp in any woods without permission, especially in one such as Stansted. He then became somewhat irate and told me it was none of my business. I told him I meant him no harm and that I wasn't a ranger, but he rather disliked my presence there. The feeling was mutual, but I again explained the situation and told him it was probably best that he leave. He told me he was the land owner, but if he was, he would have presented himself better and I would've fully accepted his being there. The man looked homeless, but that's not really an excuse to camp illegally and make a mess. I've left it at that. I'm not entirely sure of the relevant authorities to contact anyhow.

EOyxPrN.jpg

Has anyone had a similar encounter?

Thanks.

kristophish

Native
Mar 17, 2012
nuneaton
Personally i agree with the man. It was non of your business. Truth be told i illiegal camp and am sure a lot of people do. Tho i leave no trace of me being there. He hadnt finished his camp so u dont know what kind of state he was going leave the site in. Just my thoughts anyway

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Personally i agree with the man. It was non of your business. Truth be told i illiegal camp and am sure a lot of people do. Tho i leave no trace of me being there. He hadnt finished his camp so u dont know what kind of state he was going leave the site in. Just my thoughts anyway
You're free to advocate yourself as an illegal wild camper and defend someone like that, but I don't think that's a good position to take, especially on BCUK. Yes, it was none of my business to approach him, but one can't hide behind "it's none of your business" all the time. That's not even a valid argument. Stansted is an incredibly popular woodland and he was camping out in the open in area that had no entry signs. I pass it often. There is work being done there. If he was going to show even a modicum of respect to the land and its actual owner/s, he would at least camp out of sight.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I personally remember a thread of yours that was deleted about hollybank woods- where you, I believe, had been camping without permission and had started a fire (not allowed either). You did leave no trace however it is still illegal. That is from memory so I maybe wrong on that. The man a hadn't left yet so he may well have tidied up- nobody knows wether he did or not- if he did then good. To be frank if I was homeless I wouldn't be worried about camping where I shouldn't be, however we don't know if he is homeless or not. Just because someone owns land doesn't mean they have to dress like the aristocracy- som he may have told the truth, or he just wanted you to go away. He wasnt doing much harm as an old bloke on his own - he wasn't exactly 50 drunkards having a rave. I would have said nothing and just left him. I would've returned in maybe three days to see if there was a mess- if there was I would've cleared it, if there wasn't I'd've have been pleased.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I personally remember a thread of yours that was deleted about hollybank woods- where you, I believe, had been camping without permission and had started a fire (not allowed either). You did leave no trace however it is still illegal. That is from memory so I maybe wrong on that. The man a hadn't left yet so he may well have tidied up- nobody knows wether he did or not- if he did then good. To be frank if I was homeless I wouldn't be worried about camping where I shouldn't be, however we don't know if he is homeless or not. Just because someone owns land doesn't mean they have to dress like the aristocracy- som he may have told the truth, or he just wanted you to go away. He wasnt doing much harm as an old bloke on his own - he wasn't exactly 50 drunkards having a rave. I would have said nothing and just left him. I would've returned in maybe three days to see if there was a mess- if there was I would've cleared it, if there wasn't I'd've have been pleased.
Yes, that's true. I did camp a few times illegally. I learnt the lesson. I haven't done it since and I don't plan to. If he were camping in a secluded area I would have less of a problem, but no, he was camping in an area that is frequented by dog walkers and wasn't even remotely hidden. There are signs of conservation work being done in the exact area in which he was camping. That's not on. I'm not saying he's a bad person. I wasn't even crusading. I simply told him that it's best to not let people see him and that it's illegal to camp in English forests. I was stating the facts. I left him to his business. People can do what they want. Like I said, I wasn't on a crusade, I just don't agree with his actions or the manner in which he spoke to me. I told him I myself have camped before and I advised him. I didn't raise my voice once. I simply advised him.

Last edited:

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Yes, that's true. I did camp a few times illegally. I learnt the lesson. I haven't done it since and I don't plan to. If he were camping in a secluded area I would have less of a problem, but no, he was camping in an area that is frequented by dog walkers and wasn't even remotely hidden. There are signs of conservation work being done in the exact area in which he was camping. That's not on. I'm not saying he's a bad person. I wasn't even crusading. I simply told him that it's best to not let people see him and that it's illegal to camp in English forests. I was stating the facts. I left him to his business. People can do what they want. Like I said, I wasn't on a crusade, I just don't agree with his actions or the manner in which he spoke to me. I told him I myself have camped before and I advised him. I didn't raise my voice once. I simply advised him.

I'd agree- he would have been better hidden away and somewhere not undergoing conservation work. He may not have known the area well and at an old age he might well have not have been up to walking far. The bottom line is no it wasn't great what he was doing (I'm not defending him) - but a lot of worse acts are committed in the countryside and when he's gone he's gone- if you ever feel someone is genuinely posing a threat, tell a ranger.

Here's the rub and my personal view not BCUK's.
If I was camping. (With permission or without) and someone else who I didn't know rolled up on my camp nosed in my tent where I was and told me I shouldn't be there I would react the same way.

I can see your viewpoint and even why you did it.
But do you know he's not the landowner? Based on the way he presented? I know landowners who are all tweed and jolly hockey sticks and I know others who are jeans covered in plaster mix.

Mod hat on here. Let's not bring past occourances up please folks let the past stay the past mod hat off

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Here's the rub and my personal view not BCUK's.
If I was camping. (With permission or without) and someone else who I didn't know rolled up on my camp nosed in my tent where I was and told me I shouldn't be there I would react the same way.

I can see your viewpoint and even why you did it.
But do you know he's not the landowner? Based on the way he presented? I know landowners who are all tweed and jolly hockey sticks and I know others who are jeans covered in plaster mix.

Mod hat on here. Let's not bring past occourances up please folks let the past stay the past mod hat off
That's all fair, Tanith. You make good points. It was wrong of me to assume based on his appearance, but my immediate assumption was also based off the rather strong language he used, even when I had only spoken a few words. Perhaps we're all different. If I were advised (not told, but advised) to leave I would say I understand and most probably leave the area. In all honesty, the reason I felt inclined to speak to him was because I've seen a lot of fire scars and general mess in forests and I didn't want that to happen again. I'm not happy with his camping in a conservation work area, but again, there's nothing I can do. This thread wasn't a crusade thread. I don't wish to take any of this to the authorities. I just want to make it clear that if one's going to camp, with permission or not, at least don't do it in an area of importance.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Thoken just my two Pennys worth but your Damm lucky it wasn't a junkie and they didn't stab you with a dirty needle.....

Sent from somewhere?

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Stansted is an incredibly popular woodland and he was camping out in the open in area that had no entry signs.

If there are or were 'no entry' signs about and it's an incredibly popular place others as well as yourself shouldn't be there.
In that case it's really not for you to tell others what they can and can't do.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
If there are or were 'no entry' signs about and it's an incredibly popular place others as well as yourself shouldn't be there.
In that case it's really not for you to tell others what they can and can't do.
I wasn't the one camping. This place was right beside a path. I already said how visible he was. As soon as I spoke to him I left the area completely.

Yes, it wasn't my place to speak to him, but you're mistaking my intent completely. I didn't tell him to do anything. I advised him. My words were entirely non threatening. I simply told the man it might be best if he leave the area.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Jeez ! you couldn't make it up could you,

a young Scottish bloke who's given up the right of open access by moving south telling what could be a homeless middle aged bloke he can't camp in the wood on his own doorstep.

Weekender is right, you were lucky you weren't stabbed, keep your nose out of other peoples business in future.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Jeez ! you couldn't make it up could you,

a young Scottish bloke who's given up the right of open access by moving south telling what could be a homeless middle aged bloke he can't camp in the wood on his own doorstep.

Weekender is right, you were lucky you weren't stabbed, keep your nose out of other peoples business in future.
Oh look, another hostile person with another hostile response. You're reading too much into this. That was not my intent at all. All I hear is conjecture from you. The antagonizing is very tedious. I have a feeling you know full well I didn't mean the man any harm. I've said countless times before I didn't tell him to do anything.

Last edited:

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
I find it quite comical that even when I defend legal camping in favour of illegal camping and try to do my bit to inform others that it's illegal to camp, I still get antagonized by some of you. The majority of forum goers are fine, but there are a few who've made it a goal it seems to see the negative where there isn't any. Quite amusing. I can't win.

Edit: I try to genuinely do a good thing and I end up being scorned. How utterly fascinating.

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Have you thought, it's down to an individual do do what they do and face the repercussions if they are caught or approached by the authorities.

Its is all well and good offering advice to others but maybe this guy was homeless and needed somewhere to stay. Maybe he was the landowner and could have reported you for trespass on his land.

Sometimes its its easier no matter how good your intent to keep yourself to yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE