Il Gobbo abruzzese (the Abruzzese Humpback)

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
Hi all,
here we are with another traditional italian knife, named “Gobbo” (it means “humpback”). Ehrr..no, sorry, not this one

this one, here we are now

This knife is by the Italian region named Abruzzo

And was used, tipically, by the shepherds, which used to drove flocks of sheeps from mountains to the champaign in autumn, and contrary wise in spring

This ordeal was very long (weeks, usually) and was always on the same routes (named “tratturi”), a sort of very old green highways, large from few to more than 100 metres, long, some cases, hundreds kilometers

Of course, especially in the past years, the shepherds was completely out of the civilization for weeks, walking all the day in the hills and sleeping in some sort of shelters like these

So, a knife was an essential tool for everything, everywhere: food, rope cutting, lambing sheeps on births et cetera.

This is an old Gobbo, from mid of the XIX century

Coming back at the present day, this kind of knife became quickly popular in the rest of Italy on the XIX century, so the main knife’s factories made them in numbers. It’s pretty obvious why this knife is called Gobbo - Humpback

Specs of mine:
Overall length: 21 cm
Blade length: 9,0 cm
Blade thickness: 2 mm
Steel: 12c27 inox
Spring: steel 420, with tower in 316 steel
Handle: cow’s horn

Is a slipjoint of course, you may see a draft (not mine) on how it’s work

And some pics about it

Blade has the typical shape of a bamboo’s foil

The Gobbo of mine it’s produced by Saladini – Scarperia (FI) http://www.coltelleriasaladini.it/v...ategory=1&TB_iframe=true&width=800&height=600

Here you may see the screws et cetera (from Saladini Internet site), it’s a a modern version of the classic Gobbo of course

The handle is cow’s horn

On the back of the handle, Saladini’s symbol, the tower

Hope you enjoy, regards, ciao
Alfredo

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Oohh! Now that's lovely! I love folders and the history behind their invention and use. Thanks for sharing and enjoy using that beauty!

havocsdad

Jun 10, 2010
dorset
Fascinating , to be honest I've never thought of the history of knives as such, thanks for opening my eyes and mind
greg

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Thanks for taking the time to show the knife.

Is there any particular reason for it being the 'Gobbo' shape or is the reason lost in the mists of time?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE