IKEA strikes again

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Look what I've just been given by the wifes sister, apparently most shops sell them, they are sold as hot pot stands, somewhere to stand hot pots when you take them off the cooker.
It had 4 clip on plastic feet that I have discarded as I see a very nicely made grid for an open fire.
Bit on the heavy side as the rod diameter is 7mm, afraid I have no idea on price, but it could also be a good source for 7mm diameter stainless steel rod for many other uses ?
grid.jpg

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I've been using one of these for about the last 5 years and they are fantastic. I recon they will last forever. They cost about £7 in IKEA and are well worth the money. A bit on the heavy side if you want to cart it around but otherwise ideal.:D

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Damn, I was in Ikea today getting some stainless steel drainer pots to make a hobo stove. Looks like I'll have to pop in again next week. Luckily I drive past it just about every day :D

andy_pevy

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2006
Sandhurst
Your Lucky my local Ikea is
176.04 miles, about 4 1/2 hrs :rolleyes:

Or what happens to me, I get dragged to Ikea which takes about 3/4 Hour which is not so bad. :drive:

Then 4 1/2 hours of 'Browsing'.... :dunno:

Followed by a bill of at least £176.04 :yikes:

Pack the car with 'Stuff' that SWMBO 'Needs', that will get saved for a rainy day as soon as we get back home. :censored:

In reality, the 'Stuff' never sees the light of day and eventually goes to a car boot sale.....

Aaaaarrrrrrgh :aargh4:

B****dy Ikea.

Andy

tyfy

Forager
Nov 4, 2006
Peebles, Scotland
I was in IKEA today and got a couple of these to play with but on the way out I saw this and picked one up.

I just noticed on the site that it is galvanised steel not stainless but the plan had been to turn upside down and could be used as a grill for the cultery stand with some cutting.

I recon something this size could make 2 grills

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I just noticed on the site that it is galvanised steel not stainless but the plan had been to turn upside down and could be used as a grill for the cultery stand with some cutting.

I've got one of those too. Guess what, I use it for putting cutlery in.

Yes, I know I'm weird. :D

These are good too (ceramic sharpener) http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00044933 and much cheaper than anywhere else I've seen them.

Oh and I use it for sharpening knives. :eek:

tyfy

Forager
Nov 4, 2006
Peebles, Scotland
Looking forward to seeing the result..

Only because you asked:D

Started off with this and cut it in half
CIMG3357.jpg

Then I cut off the thick wire edging to leave the mesh part that would fit over the cutlery stand and with a bit of reshaping with a pair of pliers it fits over the top
CIMG3359.jpg
CIMG3360.jpg

CIMG3361.jpg
CIMG3362.jpg

still needs to be tidied up but fits snugly.

Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE