Ikea is bushcraft friendly

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mittenz

Jul 10, 2008
London
I stumbled across this clip on the ikeahacker website (apologies if its been posted before)

[video=youtube;rzXOVbYUamc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzXOVbYUamc[/video]

basically it's a guy making a bow drill from ikea wooden hanger and then using it to make a fire out of an and some other ikea pieces. I was left grinning and feeling i should try it out myself. Anyway i thought i would share, as its a nice watch for entertainment purposes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dark_Lighter

Sep 11, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Just done this. only i used the dowel part of the hanger as the spindle, its thin but it does the job "and waste not want not"

To be honest this is the first time ive managed to get fire from the bow drill method as the only other time i try is when im already in the field and struggle (previously blaming the wood or weather.lol). From attempting this i now realise why.... i wasnt applying no where near enough downwards pressure.

so thank you very much for sharing this video, and giving me the opportunity to earn the grin im now wearing....roll on the next time i go out camping :D

Last edited:

mittenz

Jul 10, 2008
London
I really do like this video i have watched it to many times now, glad i finally posted something good lol.
Dark_Lighter glad you actually got some use out of it.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Simply brilliant. I will never be able to walk round IKEA again without thinking how I could burn it down.

Good find!

I've had that for years; I worked there.... ;)

I think it is a brilliant find, but the downside is that it is quite an expensive experiment!!
If you add the cost of the items you'll be surprised;it's almost €25!!
For that kind of cash you could have a Mora Clipper and a firesteel, for instance.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE