Birthday party friction fire.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MegaWoodsWalker

Forager
Jul 10, 2014
Connecticut USA
Today little guy during his 10th birthday party wanted to see his uncle spin a coal so off to the front yard the entire gang went. Not all bushcraft is done in the woods for fun or survival. Sometimes entertainment as well. I actually did two friction fires. One was on request the other was for my normal practice. I try to do this at least twice a week.

The birthday cake. Darn shame I don't eat this stuff anymore cuz it looked good.

First friction fire. Black locust on yucca.

I had the kids fluff up the jute so it was ready for the coal.

Everyone was done and moved on to other things so I got out one of my striker knives and caught a spark on milkweed ovum. No pics of that but decided to do a Black locust on two stick mullein coal. Used the striker knife to rough up the spindle as there is no need to work the fireboard for another burn-in or V-groove. One of the pros to a two stock fireboard.

Coaling nice.

I like when both the fireboard and dust pile ignites. Something that seems to happen more frequently with pithy fireboards.

Later on looking for wood to run the hobo stove. No snow but the sled is still useful.

Getting ready to light the stove.

This time of year flames can race across a yard easily so stopped to get the fire extinguisher we took out for the earlier antics. Then the batteries died so you won't get to see us roasting marshmallow. Sorry about that. A short sub one minute video of the family friction fire number 1. It's short because yucca is so darn easy. LOL!

[video=youtube;uErjUMECaYU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uErjUMECaYU[/video]

Thanks for looking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE