Iisakki: Jarvenpaa Aito Puukko

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It's no good, I've had a hankering for one of these for a while now and it's just not going away.

1244.jpg

Anyone got one? What do you think of it? Any good?

If anyone has one they want to swap or trade I'd be very interested. Bark handle or leather, I like them both.

Not too worried about the sheath, I'd probably make a different one anyway.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I used to have one, i traded it off years ago, very poor quality i thought, the grind was further to the left than Red Ken was

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
That's what originally attracted me to it, bought one and then regretted it, i could have been unlucky i guess, i was quite disappointed in the overall quality of it though

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I had one of these and traded it to Blackfeather a few months ago. Good little knife I could get it extremely sharp and held it pretty well. Sheath is a little poor though.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland

Iisakki Järvenpää was perhaps the best quality factory when it came to making a puukko for decades but in Finnish circles it is very well known that the quality has lowered greatly since the War. Marttiini is a better choice if you want to have a factory puukko but even better would be ordering a handmade from one of the smiths. Marttiini Ilves 132, also known as Lynx knife 132, costs roughly half of the price you would pay for Iisakki and it is very close to the model chosen by the Finnish Defence Forces for its official puukko during the 1950s.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Got one with the bark handle.
The handle is great. Warm and grippy even in the most wet or cold weather/situation.
The blade shape is fantastic, but the steel is a bit so-so. A bit too soft for my taste, and the factory grind was not the best.
The sheath is a bit cheap.
Overall I like the knife, soft steel and all, and use it a fair bit.
I'd definitely buy this knife again.

/ Karl

Frederick89

Tenderfoot
Feb 15, 2010
Modena, Italy
I'm with Martti: go custom and get exactly what you want.

If you don't want to wait that much you can ask Arto Ronkainen that makes rather good knives with no waiting list. 3 mm thick blades, 0,8% C steel, 64 HRC claimed. Not really custom made, but nice quality.
http://www.apr-tuote.com/english.html
http://www.britishblades.com/forums...r-scandi-knife-maker&highlight=arto+ronkainen

My vote goes anyway to smith Pasi Hurttila. He made me a birch bark knife and it's probably my best fixed blade so far.
http://www.hurttilanpaja.suntuubi.com/?cat=10

He was and is a user of bark handed knives and has put some light changing to his construction style: thicker, higher and untapered tangs in order to avoid the handle benting that might occur with stacked layers and bit "fatter" handles and blades.
This is in the opposite direction of the current trend of finnish makers that goes slimmer and thinner every time more, but it's a fact that a slightly bigger handle is more confortable for prolonged use.

Birch bark grips like G-10 while feeling like velvet, it's waterproof (really), durable, strong and always warm.

Frederick89

Tenderfoot
Feb 15, 2010
Modena, Italy
You're welcome. If you think to carve really a lot I suggest you also to concider the rhombic section of Tommi styled knives. Compared to a flat blade with same bevel hight a rhombic section gives both more bite and more accuracy in finer works. This drawing was published also on finnish knife forum Puukkosivut.

I have tried 37 scandinavian knives, including a carver from Svante Djärv (the same ones sold by Woodlore) and I have to say that the rhombic section is really another world.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I have tried 37 scandinavian knives, including a carver from Svante Djärv (the same ones sold by Woodlore) and I have to say that the rhombic section is really another world.

Actually rhombic was far the most common blade profile in puukkos during the 19th century when most of the museum examples were collected. Although curly birch handle was more common, rhombic blade combined with birch bark handle can be seen by some as a match made in heaven.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
It's no good, I've had a hankering for one of these for a while now and it's just not going away.

1244.jpg

If anyone has one they want to swap or trade I'd be very interested. Bark handle or leather, I like them both.

Not too worried about the sheath, I'd probably make a different one anyway.

no, no swapping or selling. but you are quite welcome to take mine out for a test drive if you like. pm me a snail mail address and i'll try to get it in the post.

cheers, and.

Quill

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 29, 2004
Wisconsin
I have one and like it. No problems with it. The sheath looks nice but it is a bit thin. I do not carve with mine. Didn't buy it as a carving knife. Cleaning fish, game or cutting up vegetables it does great. Makes tent pegs and other small projects fine. It is in this group.

Knife1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE