Ignitable fuse. is it legal and where to buy if it is??

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Lol you make it sound bad!

I happened to find out the info on black powder while looking for fuses.. Fuses which I thought were cool when a video on YouTube by a blacksmith that was making airsoft smokers was recommended due to me watching other black smithing videos.

As to the crossbows, well, I enjoy shooting sports! Just as I like catapults, pea shooters and airguns.

And everyone needs a riot shield!.. You know badger saliva is toxic right? It leads to paralysis which they use to their advantage during their rituals...

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Im not trying to make it sound bad dude :) You do a good job of that yourself :p

These forums are watched... any forum will be... At the end of the day, its not how i or you see it, its about how its seen by these dudes monitoring stuff..it may be all innocent... but you don't want adding to "the list". just be careful. :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Lol you make it sound bad!

I happened to find out the info on black powder while looking for fuses.. Fuses which I thought were cool when a video on YouTube...

Yeah. That's how it always starts. LOL First a video on youtube about simple fireworks, then making your own explosives. As you get more and more excited you buy a book on nuclear fusion......

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
its legal to buy up to 15kg ready made without a licence

Really? But can it be stored?

And must I remind everyone we live in a land of free speech, democracy and intelligible law enforcement!.. Lol maybe I should space out my posts like these!

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yeah, you can buy lots of reloading stuff, but if you have them all together without an FAC and are therefore capable of making a bullet... its not legal IIRC

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah, you can buy lots of reloading stuff, but if you have them all together without an FAC and are therefore capable of making a bullet... its not legal IIRC

Black powder doesn't require one to actually load a cartridge to fire a bullet. Although IIRC somewhere on this thread, I've seen that a FAC is required to own a functioning black powder rifle?

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Yeah, we have some confusing laws, considering any tube open at one end, with a small hole in the other can be used to launch a projectile with black powder

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.....And must I remind everyone we live in a land of free speech, democracy and intelligible law enforcement!.. Lol maybe I should space out my posts like these!

Yes, the right of Free Speech. But posting on an open forum (well within free speech) voids any comparable right to privacy; it's here for anybody, or any agency to peruse: Private individuals, government agencies, potential future employers, etc.

You can post anything you like (subject to the rules of the site owner) but you don't want to post anything unless you're comfortable sharing with the whole world

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yes, the right of Free Speech. But posting on an open forum (well within free speech) voids any comparable right to privacy; it's here for anybody, or any agency to peruse: Private individuals, government agencies, potential future employers, etc.

You can post anything you like (subject to the rules of the site owner) but you don't want to post anything unless you're comfortable sharing with the whole world

I'm comfortable ive not suggested anything sinister. Asking questions is not a crime and not something I'm afraid to do. It only starts to look iffy when people start saying it looks iffy!

So can we move on from the idea that I'm a bad guy that the government want to finger, please. Gah!

Back on topic,

Does that mean I can simply walk into my local gun shop and purchase black powder from him with nothing more than proof of my age?

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I think black power is harder to get hold of than that... at least as far as walking into your local gunshop. I think most cartridges use a more stable substitute than BP. Which i expect would be more readily available.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Saltpetre is a brilliant thing :)

However, those commercially produced fuses burn with pretty accurate timings (thank all the gods :eek: ) while the diyyellowpagesrandomkitchenstring type are not quite so good at the peace of mind thing.

That said, one can become very good at getting one's fuses reliably timed within a second or so per 30. Careful weighing before and after the saltpetre-ing stage really helps.

M

Thing is to check each batch by lighting one and not entirely trusting everything to to the second timings.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
its legal to buy up to 15kg ready made without a licence

I thought you did need a certificate under Control of Explosives Regulations 1991 (COER)?

I've not heard of the 100g exemption either, any further details Samon?

I'm curious as I want to get a cert to shoot blackpower one day.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Just did a little more reading.. Lol

According to the minds on pyrosociety you need a certificate to own and to store bp. But not other propellants.

It was there I found the law on fuses etc too and the 100gram batch. As a cert is needed to store bp, the 100gram must be for experimental purposes and be used not stored or made into a charge etc. This applies to bp you make or get given, I think.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Just did a little more reading.. Lol

According to the minds on pyrosociety you need a certificate to own and to store bp. But not other propellants....

Actually that sounds logical; black powder is usually classified as an "explosive" whereas modern smokeless powders are usually classified as "propellants." The modern ones aren't as easily ignited as blackpowder and thus a bit safer to handle and store (although neither is especially dangerous if you apply common sense)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Actually that sounds logical; black powder is usually classified as an "explosive" whereas modern smokeless powders are usually classified as "propellants." The modern ones aren't as easily ignited as blackpowder and thus a bit safer to handle and store (although neither is especially dangerous if you apply common sense)

Lol but we both know common sense is a rarity these days!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE