`If you think I am a Tengu...`

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
At 18 my six foot tall son weighed about the same as Georann, and he could eat all day then too :rolleyes:
Within a few years he'd put on another two stones and it kind of stayed there ever since.

Most of us are heavier than we need to be these days. We've never been so well fed and had so little need of the calories in our everyday lives. Trying to lose weight and keep it off is not easy though. :sigh: :eek:

Tengu, for your height and if we use heavy build, then the calculators reckon you should be between 10 and 12 stones, somewhere around the 75kgs.

Put it this way; every extra kg of weight is like a bag of sugar that you're carrying all day, everyday, day in day out, in every single thing you do. 30 kgs is a 'lot' of sugar.
I keep trying this pep talk on me, but it's not working, I just don't eat that much sugar :rolleyes: :)

Good luck with it if you do try :)

cheers,
M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
First line of an old Japanese poem...

Well, actualy I am not.

Having a conversation with my flying friend. He wanted to know how heavy I am.

I weighed myself, it turns out I am 115kg.

But thats too much; he says to lose 30kg before he can take me up.

Which is crazy...I am no lightweight but that is over a quarter of my weight...if I lost that much I would be a skeleton.

Do you think I should go on a diet?

Depending on what he's flying, he should be able to accomplish the same thing by reducing his fuel load by 30 kilos (or about 14 imperial gallons) and shorten your air time.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I'm a gentleman and refuse to talk about my weight:)

Besides, carrying a few extra tens of kg is both good for the heart (all that cardio when walking or driving) and excellent in survival situations, as everyone knows fat is the best thing to have when food is unavailable. Tubbies are the original preppers!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I said it was a Piper, and so designed for fat americans....

I must have missed the post saying Piper. That said, Piper makes a lot of planes, from 2 seaters up to midsized business jets.

When I was about 14 or 15 years old and around 178 pounds (81 kilos) my Scoutmaster took me up for my first flight in his Piper Cub (probably the smallest 2 seat they ever made) He weighed 240 pounds (109 kilos) so our combined weight was 418 pounds (190 kilos) Probably pushing the limits of that little airplane but we flew over an hour on the avaiable fuel load.

I was already 6'1" tall and he was 6'4" tall but we had no problem with fit.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I think Im going to stay on the ground where I dont have to worry about weight.

Flyings for people with pneumatic bones.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
115 kilos is about eighteen stone.
I'm 5'10, male, do manual labour involving quite a bit of heavy lifting and have a bit of muscle on my body. I'm just over 14 stone and I'm carrying extra weight that I don't need.
If I lost a stone and a half (maybe two if I'm honest) I would be about right for my build I reckon.

I used to climb at about eleven stone but I am just bigger everywhere now, bigger arms especially.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Tengu,

If you wish to do it effortlessly and do a paleolithic diet at the same time. Read Gary Taubes Why we get fat:And what to do about it.

Its a reduced version of Good Calories:Bad Calories, this tome is over 700 pages long, but Taubes is scientific and easy, makes a lot of sense to a bushcrafter as well.

Sandsnakes

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
115 kilos for 5'8" sounds about right for the UK.:rolleyes:

Health wise,( not to mention aesthetics) it's advised not to depass in kilos your centimeter height after the meter........ for example if you're 160 cm tall then 60 kg should be your max.

Last edited:

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
No point asking us if you should go on a diet, best to ask yourself. If the answer is yes you're the only one that can make it happen.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Thats not even technically underweight, its the bottom end of normal. In my defence Im quite an athletic 18 year old (I swim a lot) so thats perfectly normal and healthy. The best bit is I can eat as much as I like and it never seems to pile on!

The BMI scale is nonsense, you will see in 10 years when its hard work to stay thin. :)

I wouldn't count on him seeing it in 10 years. I'm 6' 0" and somewhere round the 60Kg mark at 42.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE