If you can pick one???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

smokyjoe

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2012
london
This has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find a thread anywhere so I thought I would ask??
If you could have any knife with you in a survival situation which one would you pick??
And please don't say "the one that's in my pocket or on me at the time" you must pick the one you think is the best for the situation. Pic will also be welcome

Thanks SJ

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Knives as always are very personal and I have many knives for many tasks. That said your post states a "Survival Situation" so with that in mind I'd be happiest with my Wilkinson Sword Dartmoor Survival Knife.....

183I2071_-14004_100.jpg

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
-Boreal climate? An axe
-Tropical or semi-tropical climate? A machete
-Overall? A Bowie or a Kabar with a 4.5" - 7" blade

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...If you could have any knife with you in a survival situation which one would you pick?.."

Presuming I'd be 'surviving' somewhere local(ish) and that the only tool I can have is the knife and its sheath then I'd choose my Alan Wood Woodlore, mostly because it is the only one I have which has a sharpening stone, Swedish fire-steel, compass and lots of cord attached to the sheath.

first_aid_pouch_sheath_belt.jpg

If I can have additional bits and bobs then I'd add a couple of pack ponies with half the contents of my shed strapped to their backs. :)

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
If we are talking which edged tool, and presuming we are working in our climate, I'd probably take my gransfors small forest axe over any knife.
If knives only, either my enzo trapper or cold steel trailmaster, it'd be a tough choice though.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Interesting I've not seen the neck sheath with sharpening stone bit before?

It isn't listed anymore, this one was one of the first produced when they started to flog the Fallkniven stones, I do not doubt that if you were to order the knife you could ask to have your sheath made with a stone pouch. I rarely use the neck sheath preferring a plain belt sheath instead.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I reckon I'd want a double edge billhook.
But I cant provide a pic at mo sorry.

Dunno if I'd consider my double edged billhook (yorkshire pattern) for two reasons, its big (24" long) & heavy (~1.5kg), and can't baton it.

Definitely consider a single edged pattern though.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I most often (at least once a day use my pocket knife - predominantly a Opinel #6 Carbon or a #8Stainless limited edition.

Pictured here amidst my two main sheath knives
IMG_0364.JPG

But I think if you were going to stick me out in the countryside with no access to any other blade I'd go for my billhook.

I can use it for fuel and construction, sharpens up well, and different areas of the blade can take different edges - so things like fine work and food prep can be done with it too. As it's a robust tool it's also going to last longer than I am.

Please excuse a stock image, I don't have a picture on this computer of my billhook. Here's a modern type from the net.

Please also have a wee read of Radio 4's entry for them in the History of the World in a 100 objects. LINK

Last edited:

Balloonatic

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2013
Hertfordshire
Probably one of my hymalayan imports Khukris. They have a karda and a chakmak (a small skinning knife and honing knife) which are useful and the blade is up to most tasks. All in all a pretty versatile knife in all situations.

Shovel

Forager
Jul 12, 2012
Wherever I choose to live.
Alpine or Boreal Forest:Something between a boys axe and a hatchet. This is due to need to process firewood and build a warm shelter. Maybe a Tomahawk type thing.

Jungle/Tropic: Parang. I don't know anything about surviving in jungles, but this seems like the best choice because it can process wood and light vegetation. I figure there's a reason it is used in jungles.

Deciduous: A Kukri, because I can handle medium vegetation and wood. The karda would be useful for smaller tasks like skinning and carving.

Desert: A scandinavian ground Ontario Rat 7. Long enough blade to keep my fingers from dying while skinning Prickly Pear and Yucca, and cutting open Barrel Cacti. Also, if I have a snake pinned down with a stick, it keeps my hand farther away while killing it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE