ID's Please.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Can anyone ID this plant. I think it may be Deadly Nightshade. Also, the Fungus below is a new one on me (not literaly...Id see the doctor immediately if it where).

Plant: Large bottom leaves (Basal ?) with a single thin stem supporting the wide spikey leaved with a berry in the center.
LLangollen_2020_Small.jpg

LLangollen_2024_Small.jpg

And the weird fungi with my little axe for scale.
LLangollen_2033smalljpg.jpg

Cheers for looking.
Intrepid.

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
Yes it would be it,Paris quadrifolia,very poisonous,two-tree eaten berries can lead to severe symptoms.At least it is so where I live.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lover's knot, herb paris, for the first one. Grows in damp woody bits. The berry is poisonous though.
Sorry, no idea on the fungi :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
Dunno about the dead mans fingers, I'm not sure that it's quite the right shape for that. I'll have a delve in the book pile and see what I can find.

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
And......... after looking it seems it probably is! There are two types of Xylaria, longipes and polymorpha and just to confuse things more the common name dead mans fingers seems to be used interchangeably between the two.

Yours looks like a very irregular polymorpha. With any luck Xylaria herself will pop in a minute to confirm that.

Apr 17, 2008
Leeds/Bristol
Helloes! I think it's Xylaria Polymorpha. It might just be a younger specimen as they start of like little mole fingers and a light bluey grey and elongate and darken to the black as they age. The ones in that photo don't look quite black yet to me so they're probably still growing.

DeadMansfingers.jpg

Young Xylaria Polymorpha

Xylariapolymorpha.jpg

Old X. Polymorpha.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE