Identify The Pit Bull

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
i have an american bull terrier an english bull terrier and a rottie mastif mix, and they are all fantastic dogs i have 3 children and not once and mean once have they ever showed any aggresion to them my 2 year old can be testing at times, and they just take it with a pinch of salt.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
American Dental Association?

Americans with Disabilities Act; a federal law. Basically it states, "Any animal that is trained to assist a person with a disability will be allowed to accompany it's owner anywhere other than the kitchen of a restaurant or the operating room of a hospital." (all emphasis was mine)

Notice what it does not say:
It doesn't mention anything about it must be a specific breed (or even a specific species) in order to be allowed. It doesn't mention anything allowing any state or local government to require said animals be "certified." In fact they can be self trained by the owner and sometimes are. And other species have included monkeys to assist wheelchair bound persons reach things from upper shelves; and miniature horses as guide animals; and increasingly, therapy animals for various categories of patients (particularly traumatized veterans) It doesn't specify any particular disability (although many people mistakenly believe it's only for guide dogs for the blind)

But I'm hijacking my own thread.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have a staff cross and she is a lovely thing. One statement I dont agree with is that any aggressive dog is just as dangerous as another.
If I get attacked by a little yapping poodle I would imagine my boot up its posterior but be a possible defence. If the dog is a 10 stone pitty or rottie I would fancy my chances less. I say this because there are a few owners near to me that have some very large dogs like the rottweiler who are about 6 stone wet. If that dog fancied taking off I could not see the owner having much say in the matter. This has happened to me twice. Lucky my dog was clever enough to back down and I stayed calm, albeit ready to attempt to dispatch the animal if required.

Bully dogs are indeed stronger and more determined than many other breeds. One of my cousins had her Lab puppy killed by a pair of marauding Bulls that the owner never claimed later. She heard the puppy yelping in pain and went out to see what was wrong and discovered the two bulls had dug into the puppy's kennel and were mauling him.

She yelled at them and thy rushed her. She was a better shot than we knew; she killed them both with only two shots from her 40 caliber. BUT! The fault was not with the two dogs; it was with the owner who had raised them to be aggressive and compounded it by failing to restrain them. When questioned by Sheriff's Deputies, he claimed they weren't his and lacking proof, the matter was dropped.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I had a staffy that was bought as a puppy by the original owner labeled as an amstaff [illegal breed in the uk]. He was the easiest dog to train I have ever have. I had to get him castrated, because he was unpredicable with other dogs. No visable aggression, he would walk up and try and bite thier neck. Getting the problem cut off and consistant training sorted the problem.
The thing is there too many dogs are owned by people too thick to train them or deal with problem behaviour. I got attacked two weeks ago by two long haired jack russells. The owner was an insiped middle age lady, walking two dogs off a lead on a cycle path. Dogs didnt bite but I could feel its teeth on my leg as I franticly cycled past, all the owner was doing was saying "ooh stop being naughty". If I had a dog that behaved like that I had it would of had it muzzled, and if didnt respond to training euthanised. The same day we walked past a collie off the lead that became aggressive, it was been walked on open grazing common land by again an insiped middle aged woman.
I dont understand why anyone thinks any form of aggression in a dog tollerable, like the numerous dogs that are left in yards that bark at passersby. Breed specific legislation doesnt work, expensive dog licences that come with owner training might be a better idea.

Last edited:

Expat

Forager
Feb 9, 2012
Dorset for good...!!
In the 60's - 70's it was the Alsatian, in the 80's, the Rottweiler - the so-called "Devil dog", and now the Pit Bull that they are trying to ban.
Perhaps re-introducing the dog licence and registration would put a curb on the numpties..???

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
Normal Poodles are quite large im not sure id be happy about been attacked by one, i have a small dog (basset hound X border terrier) she is really confident and always happy to see another dog, while walking her i come acroos quite a few owners with agressive dogs that they cant control i think this is the main issue people buy these dog but then either dont train them correctly or dont give them the excercise that they need.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
And who will organize, pay for & uphold such measures ? :rolleyes:

Dog owners like me :)
I would hope a nominal fee would cover the expenses of running the scheme. Pensioners to be exempt from any fees but still requiring a license. If you stick one bit if paperwork in the way of chimp brains then they might think twice. If the fee is set right it should be affordable for everyone and if you can't spare a small cost then maybe some are not in the right financial position to own a dog, they are afterall a financial responsibility too.
Found with dog and no license then you are in for a fine.
Can't think of any other way as legislation against stupidity never works either. Education maybe? The people causing the big problems are way past common sense.

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
yte3a8ev.jpg

e5uhyme7.jpg

My boy n girl get the pit bull comment all the time , as for the poster the red nose is a pit and the Cain corsa blue would be most people's idea of a so called pit. Having had two pitbulls in the past before and during the ban I was outraged that a bread was dammed to the point of heathy dogs being exterminated , I could see the argument but it should have been the deed not the breed and the type of owners the breed attracted didn't help . Still 22 years later there still about but me personally wish that they weren't as the poor things will always be under scrutiny .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
yte3a8ev.jpg

e5uhyme7.jpg

My boy n girl get the pit bull comment all the time , as for the poster the red nose is a pit and the Cain corsa blue would be most people's idea of a so called pit.....

Great looking dogs! As for the poster, as said, none of them are "pit bulls." The point is that there's NO SUCH breed recognized by any major kennel club. It's whatever people want to call a "pit bull."

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE