Any tailors / clothing modders? Ventile smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
I have a keela ventile smock (kestrel old style, no side zips).

I'm looking to have it converted into a jacket with a few changes.

Basically the neck gusset I want removed, the kangaroo pouch removed for 2 chest pockets, a full length Zip ( and iff possible a baffle and buttons added over it. Also a waist (in addition to existing hem) synch.

Does anyone have any idea how much a tailor would take to do this? Or what sewing machine skill level is needed, I'm willing to try myself.

The biggest issue i foresee is the baffle for the zip. I don't have material for it. I'm looking to make it into a windproof SAS smock style.

It isn't used a lot due to the neck baffle causing no end of annoyance.

For those that don't know, it's a Country Innovation Kestrel smock, single layer ventile with polyester lining.

I picked it up very very cheap hence my willingness. (Thanks ebay)

Any input appreciated.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was about to suggest the same person :)

It's often easier to make something from scratch than it is to radically alter a garment…..cheaper too, because it's time consuming deconstructing before re-constructing it.
Cost wise ? :dunno:
The local alterations shops charge £10 an hour.

M

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
If you're going to have a go yourself, I've got some Ventile for your baffle and any other bits. It's quite dark olive and so may not match the bulk of your 'project' but you can have it if it would be useful.

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Polecatsteve,

If you do decide to have a go yourself, check out what is required re machine capability and needle types - I recall some years back someone attempting to do alterations on Ventile and found that double/triple material thickness at the hems was difficult. :)

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
If you're going to have a go yourself, I've got some Ventile for your baffle and any other bits. It's quite dark olive and so may not match the bulk of your 'project' but you can have it if it would be useful.

That's incredibly kind of you thank you. It may be into next month before I gather the nerve! I dare say I will try myself. What's to lose?

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I was about to suggest the same person :)

It's often easier to make something from scratch than it is to radically alter a garment…..cheaper too, because it's time consuming deconstructing before re-constructing it.
Cost wise ? :dunno:
The local alterations shops charge £10 an hour.

M

I'd agree wholeheartedly, it will be very tricky to get a perfect finish, if it's a used Jacket and has been used in sunshine at all then it's likely to have sun bleached areas, so when you remove the front pocket you will see a darker patch where is was. also the actual thread holes may be visible, the holes will be very difficlut to remove.

I've attempted a few alterations added pockets and even added a hood on one jacket, and it's fine if you have identical colour but most of my alterations have been internal or slightly hidden by pockets or seams, you can usually see the difference. and right down the front of a jacket is the most obvious place to do it. be careful my friend you could ruin it forever.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE