Idea for design,,,need help on materials.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

freenarative

Oct 18, 2012
oldham
Ok the design below is a VERY ROUGH idea I had. All I need is a 2' (approx) bar of half decent metal. I'd be after nothing too hard because all sharpening would probably be done in the field so softer steel perhaps (?Any help with the metal here?) and if anyone has something fitting in theirs scrap/offcut bin and wants to sell it????

Ok, forget the hinting; Does anyone have some metal sitting in their scrap/offcut bins that would work for this project. I'm a poor old man but I'd give a fair fee if someone could help for this weekend project?

Oh, and forget the handle in the below photo. I decided on a composite antler/wood/leather handle.

http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/freenarative/media/2013-05-10205917_zps6d899fd5.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Dunx

Apr 8, 2013
West Wales
Looks like a near enough 2 foot tanto blade with handle to me ??

A samurai machete like they did on "Sons of Guns" ?

3.jpg

Just without the guard??

Or am I way off the mark?

Last edited:

freenarative

Oct 18, 2012
oldham
Very similar. Most "long knives" I find are too deep in the blade or the points are the wrong shape or the handles are too 'eavy. I just wanted a long knife that would feel nice in my hand. I have the cold steel shanghai shadow and its nice. I like it as a work blade as the weight and handle are... OK; They're not perfect, But they are ok. The problem is the blade length is too short and way, WAY too wide.

Dunx

Apr 8, 2013
West Wales
So you actually after something like these?

fantasy-51_L.jpg

Perhaps modifying an existing blade would be the first step to take so you know what you want an what works?

Although the intended use of the item would help selecting materials for thickness etc....

freenarative

Oct 18, 2012
oldham
Perhaps modifying an existing blade would be the first step to take so you know what you want an what works?

You know, sometimes an extra mind on an idea works wonders. Thank you for the thought... and the link hidden in the picture. (the joys of drag'n'drop)
The project begins anew with the cry of "TO THE SHOP!"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE