ID these prints please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 18, 2011
UK
This one was taken today near to my town.

DSCF5164.jpg

DSCF5165.jpg

There are two prints in this photo (trying to get the step span)

DSCF5166.jpg

I found this one later a few 100 metres away, scratches, there were a few others about, it looks like the same animal maybe.

DSCF5174.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That’s a good one??? Could be an Otter, You got any Coypu in the area. It’s got me stumped.

Good call on the Coypu, that was what I originally thought, but I've seen badgers leave that type of track on hard surfaces all the time, the fifth toe hardly ever registers. Looks like giant rat when you first see it.

Feb 18, 2011
UK
cool, thanks.

Now you're on what is this?

I captured this pic in early 2010 in the morning before the snow thawed.

mysteryanimalfootprint.jpg

Whatever it was, it cleared a 6 foot fence at the back of my house.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
On the squirrel pic you can see 2 circular impressions at the base of the print which is charateristic of grey squirrel front paw tracks.
As for the badger track (if it is brock ) that must be quite a big animal.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
A one penny piece is 20 mm that would make the track around 6cm long isn’t that a bit large for a squirrel fore foot normally around 3.5 x 2.5cm ?

The track is actually about 3.5 by 2.5 cm. The snow makes it look bigger because of the scuffing, which makes up about 3cm behind the actual print itself.

Lumber Jack

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2011
I'm from Yorkshire, lad.
It's not a badger. I'm certain of that. It tapers too much toward the rear. The print of a badger is much more "rounded". There's also too much of a gap between the "toes" for it to be a badger foot. They seem to be long and somewhat slender. I'd go for coypu. I'm guessing this photo was taken somewhere in the vicinity of a river. The track itself, is wet.

Last edited:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I don't think it would be wrong to say it's moving at pace and hitting down hard on the hard ground. Perhaps by the side of a road.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I don't think it would be wrong to say it's moving at pace and hitting down hard on the hard ground. Perhaps by the side of a road.

That is pretty much spot on. I've seen badger sign like this before and it has always been exactly the case. If it hadn't been part of a good series of tracks and had been just the one isolated print, I would have been puzzling over it too. It is a badger running at a serious pace and flicking it's front feet back to gain more traction and pace. I'd say it was either fleeing from perceived danger or it was after something irresistable and fast.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE