Ice fishing tips

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Red Fox

Dec 31, 2012
Cheshire
Does any one know any good ice fishing tips please, as i would like to have a go in finland i have just got one of these from ebay$(KGrHqEOKikE6Z2g1q6gBPiwosB)(w~~60_35.JPG and i would like to basicly know what tipe of lores or bait are best and the best size hooks ect to use .Thanks very much

kanukkarhu

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2012
Western Canada
Wow. Now we're talking my language. Something I can understand! :)

So much depends on species, water conditions etc.

I like what we call "Swedish pimples." It's a kind of 'jig' and it's excellent for the trout family. A lot of times for smaller species, we'll just tie in a smaller lead jig head, painted of course. Usually white in brown water, and chartreuse is another favourite. In the boreal forest, I reckon that your water is likely going to full of tannins (from allocthonous refractory organics... BONUS POINTS for pulling up some old college limnology words!!! Woot!) and so the water is likely to be brown-ish. Bright colour jigs work best in that water, IMHO. If the water is clear, I'd use silver. You can get the pimple with a little red "tag" attached, and that red seems to work for me.

For pike and tougher species, I just use bait (such as smelt) on a weighted line.

As far as tackle goes, you can go the limit from fancy tip ups, down to a wee stick frozen in some slush. Make a loop in the line, tie a piece of bright flagging tape on it, and hang the loop off the very end of the stick. When you no longer see the tape, a fish has taken your line. We used to fish this way with only the terminal tackle and a spool of line (which you can freeze in slush so that it still turns). Put a stick through the spool's centre.

Most times, unless you're just plunking some bait down a hole, you want to jig a bit. You can use anything to hold your line. I make my own line holder thingys. Some you can build so that they balance on a stand and tip up when you have a bite.

It's important to use heavy line. You're not fighting the fish - you're hauling it in. 20 lb test isn't uncommon here. And in fact, braided nylon (which also makes excellent leather making thread, by the way) is really my preferred line.

I should stop. I could drone on and on.

Hope I've helped a wee bit. :)

ATB,

KK

Last edited:
The hand lines they sell for fishing off a pier will work, like KK said your hauling them in. we use "smelt" as well or the biggest minows we can get, rig it with a float so the bait is about 6" off bottom, watch the float close when it starts to dip set the hook (or try to :) ) when the fish gets close to the hole go easy till its head is started up, that can be a problem with a large fish.

kanukkarhu

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2012
Western Canada
Yes, good point - keep the bait/lure about 6 - 8" above the bottom.

Hook size depends on species, and it's the same as any other time in that regard. I personally will tend to use a slightly smaller hook than many people.

I think the key to the thing is a good stout, strong line.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE