I would like to try archery...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I'll look into that Dave, thank you...

Bit far out for me mate!!! But thanks for the offer David....
Yeah, thought you were a bit further North in Essex, now I look again I see it would take about 2 hrs. I've shot with some longbow archers from Panther, they come up for our 3D shoots. Nice friendly chaps. Try a few clubs. Advantage of ours is really beautiful grounds.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Place just off the A64 near Monkscross Shopping Centre, York.

That would be the York Archers http://www.yorkarchers.co.uk/index.html I was a member for a few years and can say they are definitely biased toward recurve and compound bows. There were a handful of longbow archers, but beginners are encouraged to shoot recurve and target. They have space for a clout shoot, which was used by most of the longbow archers. If target is your thing, then go along as they are a good bunch. If you want to shoot longbow at field targets in a woodland setting then look elsewhere.

This might be useful to you Resnikov. http://www.yorkshirearchery.co.uk/YAAclubs.html

Al

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Can anyone tell me the Legal point if view if you just poddle off to the local woods and shoot at a target by yourself in a safe manner?? If its public access woods but shooting down into a Gulley???

How much of a reaming would one potentially receive??

In that scenario I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up discussing what you were doing with an armed response unit.

When I joined the York Archers, I was told in no uncertain terms that my bow and arrows should only be in my car if I was on my way to or from the club or home or another place I had permission to shoot, if that was on private land then I should have written permission and that permission carried while shooting.

To all intents and purposes regard a bow as you would a gun and you'll not go far wrong.

Al

chairmanphil

Apr 4, 2011
oxfordshire
does anyone know of anything around abingdon in oxfordshire? can't seem to find anything but maybe i'm looking in the wrong place. sorry if this is a hijack :)

Partickpebbles

Dec 18, 2010
South Milford
There are no Feild Archery clubs near me, the one in york is a Target Archery club ( i think) Plus the one in York I have issues with its webite and lack of IT skills. Post a form in and write a cheque? Common this is 21st Century. Wheres the web form and paypal! <rant over>

Local Park it is then!!

Realbark

Aimless Wanderer
Jan 18, 2011
South Lincs UK
Me and the missus fancied a go at this. We have booked a "taster" 2 hour session for a fiver each with the Silverspoon Bowmen for 26th of this month. Looking forward to it! (apologies for hijack)

Last edited:

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Bit of a hijack but archery related. Anyone know of an archery clubs in Yorkshire (Leeds area) that shoot longbows? Would love to have ago.

Just sent you a message re. clubs in your area.

I shoot in a GNAS affiliated club and a NFAS field/3D club, I love going to both but I have to say that the two disciplines and the type of archer they each attract could not be further apart! If you want to shoot, have fun, meet nice people then shoot field, if you want something heavier, more disciplined, encounter stick-in-the muds and miserable old trouts (nice people too though!) and you are happier having lots of rules then shoot target (in my experience!)

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
I really don't get this perception that target archery clubs are less friendly than field clubs. Its down to the people, not the type of archery! I've met plenty of people who shoot one or the other, or both, and there are all sorts in both camps. And the bow isn't the decider either - lots of clubs have archers that shoot more than one style, and many target (GNAS) clubs hold longbow only comps (how many comps have you known that exclude longbows?). The only thing that I would suggest makes field a likely choice for a member here is that the whole experience would seem to fit better with the bushcraft theme.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains

I shoot in a GNAS affiliated club and a NFAS field/3D club, I love going to both but I have to say that the two disciplines and the type of archer they each attract could not be further apart! If you want to shoot, have fun, meet nice people then shoot field, if you want something heavier, more disciplined, encounter stick-in-the muds and miserable old trouts (nice people too though!) and you are happier having lots of rules then shoot target (in my experience!)

I must say I am in Marc's camp on this one based on my own experience of the two disciplines!

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton

Must admit this in one reason when I took up the longbow for re-enactment I stopped trying various target clubs since the general comment I got was:

"Longbow? I think we have one other member who plays at archery with one"

Needless to say I never joined an archery clubs since and my bow has sat gaining dust for the past 10 years.

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
I must say I am in Marc's camp on this one based on my own experience of the two disciplines!
Oh, I know ;) Fortunately my own experience is quite different.

Must admit this in one reason when I took up the longbow for re-enactment I stopped trying various target clubs since the general comment I got was:

"Longbow? I think we have one other member who plays at archery with one"

Needless to say I never joined an archery clubs since and my bow has sat gaining dust for the past 10 years.

So 'various' clubs had one 'general' comment between them (albeit a stupid one)? Incredible....what's more incredible is that anyone keen enough to buy a longbow is prepared to let it sit gaining dust for 10 years rather than get on and shoot it.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
There are no Feild Archery clubs near me, the one in york is a Target Archery club ( i think) Plus the one in York I have issues with its webite and lack of IT skills. Post a form in and write a cheque? Common this is 21st Century. Wheres the web form and paypal! <rant over>

I was looking at this one in Otley. Buy of a drive but not too bad...

http://www.riggwelterfieldarchers.co.uk/

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Oh, I know ;) what's more incredible is that anyone keen enough to buy a longbow is prepared to let it sit gaining dust for 10 years rather than get on and shoot it.

Reason for the longbow in the first place was for medieval re-enactment but after I moved down south I gave up re-enactment and from the comments I had at the various clubs I lost interest in the bow. Must admit I did only try target archery since didn&#8217;t know about field archery at the time. Problem I have now is following a bike accident a few years ago I now have a knackerd shoulder so not sure if i'll be using it again. But I have dusted it off and need to give it a coat of linseed oil and a new string to see if it is still useable.

To be fair I did get the comments from the competition archers and that was over 10 years ago so the attitude towards traditional bows may have changed.

Last edited:

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
I was looking at this one in Otley. Buy of a drive but not too bad...

http://www.riggwelterfieldarchers.co.uk/

I am a member here, its excellent if a little hard work..............take plenty of arrows!

Just like to add to the above comments, I have found the GNAS club to be very longbow friendly and a good proportion of my club members shoot the longbow, they seem to be the backbone of the club. I mainly shoot compound at targets which seems fime but get some grief when I shoot my AFB with ali's...........a funny bunch them archers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE