I would be greateful for your advice/opinions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
Hi :)

I am about to receive a new Canon 450D as I have decided to take a step into photogrtaphy much more than I previously have.

I thought as a starting point, I would upload into Flickr a collection of photos I am partial to which I have collected over the years by playing with a variety of compact cameras. They are a snapshot if you excuse the pun of where I am starting from so that I and others can compare my progress.

I would be interested in any comments or opinions you all have on my piccies at present, especially what would have made them better photos.

www.flickr.com/photos/fallow_way

Best Wishes

Paul

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Paul,

Great shot of the Damsel. I love it.

The shots of the foot hills would benefit from more foreground interest; rocks, stumps, etc. One trick is to get closer to the ground, this would have brought the texture of the heather into frame to a greater extent.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
Sounds like all of your walks are going to take twice as long now ;) I guess you will have lenses on your christmas list from now on.

Getting down on the ground for landscapes is sometimes great - as said above. I dont know how wide an angle your compacts gave you.

You seem to be looking up and down etc to find intersting subjects.

Did you use a tripod for the macro shots?

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
No Tripod Rob.

Matthew - yes, i have come across the 1/3 rule/guide and have started looking at images with that in mind and it does make sense.

Thats for your suggestions guys, as I said, I`ve been a `happy snapper` up until now so now that I am taking an interest in developing my skills, these comments are really useful.

Paul

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The rule of thirds is a great starting point towards thinking photography.

Just to add another three, I usually reckon a "good" photo often has three elements to it.

This might be interest in three places or a prominent object, an interesting background and good lighting or atmosphere.

Take a look at pictures you like and see how often it is true.

Look at pictures that don't quite work and see what is missing.

When I take pictures I'm usually looking for good ways to include all those elements in the frame, if you can get some of them on the thirds, all the better.

As with all these "rules" the most important thing about them is that they help you to think about your shot as a finished photograph, they are a way of making you previsualise you picture.

It doesn't mean you can't break the rules, but try to think about them first.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Thanks Wayland,

Can you say if any of them are photos I could develop on, by that I mean there is something promising in X photo and I just to refine how I take that sort of photo?

thanks again for the advice.

Paul

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I think your natural history shots are great, carry on what you're doing there and you won't go far wrong at all.

The landscapes need a little more in the foreground for my taste.

Moving in a bit closer to the heather in the foothills of Wales for example would create more depth and makes the heather a more important element in the picture, one of the three with the hills and the sky making the others.

Does that make sense?

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
All in all a very good portfolio of work so far.

Personally i am not a lover of "weird" borders, preferring a simple thin black border but it is individual taste.

You are obviously thinking about what you are taking and how best to photograph them which is great. High and low viewpoints are one of the ways to break away from the "happy snapper" routine of standing up, camera to eye.

As has been said already, think about rule of thirds and a bit more foreground in your landscapes even if it's only a few rocks (and in this case a change of shooting position)

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k98/ArkAngel_06/DalesWaterfallcopy.jpg

or a fence

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k98/ArkAngel_06/CrimpleValley.jpg

just something to "lead" you into picture.

Otherwise great work, keep it up:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE