I was walking in the woods and found this...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
So in your opinion kids should be left to do anything they want as long as it fits under some vague title as "playing"?

at what point did i say that?

like i mentioned before, it is most likely however i could be completely wrong (which again i also pointed out) that its a few kids with a father learning limited bushcraft skills by watching tv. so it takes them almost all day to put up a crap shelter..... so what, they might want to come back and spend another full day improving it?

but you seem to think tearing it down is the better option.

to me the best option would be to not complain about it on the web and put a small note along the lines of "to whom built the shelter, nice effort but its crap, ring me on the below number and i'll show you how to put a stick against another"

"sarcasm mode off"

gixer

Dec 16, 2012
Midlands
at what point did i say that?

like i mentioned before, it is most likely however i could be completely wrong (which again i also pointed out) that its a few kids with a father learning limited bushcraft skills by watching tv. so it takes them almost all day to put up a crap shelter..... so what, they might want to come back and spend another full day improving it?

but you seem to think tearing it down is the better option.

to me the best option would be to not complain about it on the web and put a small note along the lines of "to whom built the shelter, nice effort but its crap, ring me on the below number and i'll show you how to put a stick against another"

"sarcasm mode off"

I have no problem with a father passing on any type of skills to their kids, i do have a problem when they bugger off home and leave a dangerous eyesore on my land.

If they came to me and asked i would offer as much help and guidance as i could, but it would be on the understanding it would have to be solid, well camouflaged and it came down after a few weeks.

You cannot just walk onto someone elses property, build what you want, how you want, leave it there and expect to come back and find a nice little post-it requesting they build it better next time.

We have had eyesores like this built in the past, at those times i had been too busy to do anything about it, the local yobs were like moths to a flame once the word got around that there was some slapped up type of shelter.
So it's not just the structure it's the type of people it attracts that needs to be taken into consideration as well.

Is there any evidence that this eyesore was built by kids?

markie*mark0

Settler
Sep 21, 2010
warrington
I have no problem with a father passing on any type of skills to their kids, i do have a problem when they bugger off home and leave a dangerous eyesore on my land.

If they came to me and asked i would offer as much help and guidance as i could, but it would be on the understanding it would have to be solid, well camouflaged and it came down after a few weeks.

You cannot just walk onto someone elses property, build what you want, how you want, leave it there and expect to come back and find a nice little post-it requesting they build it better next time.

We have had eyesores like this built in the past, at those times i had been too busy to do anything about it, the local yobs were like moths to a flame once the word got around that there was some slapped up type of shelter.
So it's not just the structure it's the type of people it attracts that needs to be taken into consideration as well.

Is there any evidence that this eyesore was built by kids?

is there any evidence that it wasn't?

i'm sorry ladies and gents, I bow out to your superior "point & blame" skills..... goodnight

gixer

Dec 16, 2012
Midlands
is there any evidence that it wasn't?

i'm sorry ladies and gents, I bow out to your superior "point & blame" skills..... goodnight

It would be a shame for the thread to get closed because a couple of members have nothing to offer except a few school play yard type taunts.

We have had this happen on our land, i have destroyed these type of eyesores in the past because they have caused problems.

You obviously disagree which is fine, one day when you work hard your entire life, invest everything you have into buying your own land, earn 100% of your living off your own land, have your kids, grand kids and all their mates playing on your land THEN you can allow whoever you want to do whatever they want on your property.

As it is i am within every moral and legal right to destroy these things and i will continue to do so.

We have had hikers and backpackers stay on our property and we have played as good hosts as we could, down to inviting some of the cleaner more social ones in for a full breakfast in the morning and even the use of our showers.
We even had a pair of guy asked if they build a fire, instead of leaving a fore scar i went and bought the JCB round, set the bucket at a nice angle and height and they had a nice roaring fire in the JCB bucket with the rear giving off a fair amount of heat.

Difference is they asked permission and they did not leave dangerous eyesores around after they left.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
All their rubbish? Not mentioned before, interesting. You've still no right to impose your opinion of a solid structure on them, I would go ape if I found some 'bushcrafter' deemed it their duty to destroy my efforts, how dare they.

I've cleaned up several sites near me where local youngsters have camped for the night and left the area full of empty cans, bottles, cheap dome tent, burnt sleeping bag and a nice gas stove (than you very much) but I'd not dream of doing what you did where someone or a group have very clearly made an effort to build a shelter, perhaps their first and maybe their last if they think this vandalism (and be under no doubt or illusion, you carried out an act of vandalism) will happen again.

I'd best go cook dinner before I really get hot under the collar :aargh4:
If you check back in the thread I took all that I could out of the woods and stacked the rest neatly for removal later. Please don't insinuate that I'm being untruthful when you're not reading the thread correctly.

I've improved the shelters main beam which is ready to go. The rest of the wood has been stacked neatly ready to go again when I or the original builder have time to fix it. This is help, not mindless vandalism.

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
If you check back in the thread I took all that I could out of the woods and stacked the rest neatly for removal later. Please don't insinuate that I'm being untruthful when you're not reading the thread correctly.

I've improved the shelters main beam which is ready to go. The rest of the wood has been stacked neatly ready to go again when I or the original builder have time to fix it. This is help, not mindless vandalism.

you did say that, i saw you do it guv :)

also, glad you have fixed the most important bit, hopefully whoever built it will do a better job finishing it offthis time, just hope they dont litter like that again.

i still dont think all shelters should be destroyed on sight but i do get why some should especially if they are built on private land.

im not sure this is going to end in hugs maybe we should all agree to disagree/not continue the discussion/punch a wall, oven door, baking tray or call each other names out loud but write it on the net? or something :)

btw, just watching latest star trek film, its wicked............

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
you did say that, i saw you do it guv :)

also, glad you have fixed the most important bit, hopefully whoever built it will do a better job finishing it offthis time, just hope they dont litter like that again.

i still dont think all shelters should be destroyed on sight but i do get why some should especially if they are built on private land.

im not sure this is going to end in hugs maybe we should all agree to disagree/not continue the discussion/punch a wall, oven door, baking tray or call each other names out loud but write it on the net? or something :)

btw, just watching latest star trek film, its wicked............

There are appropriate locations and inappropriate locations for these things certainly. I hope to be back there at the end of the week to put it up correctly this time, if I'm not beaten to it.

I stand in the middle between gixers universal destruction and Rik_uk3's universal leave it alone. It's dependent on land ownership, quality and location of structure etc...

Indeed, I dare say you're correct and we'll have to agree to disagree as a collective forum.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Good job on tearing it down

I've dismantled several of these types of shelters on my property.

They are an eyesore and a health hazard to both humans and wildlife and it's just plain laziness and ignorance that they are being left up.
Kids will be kids, but they should also be taught to play responsibly.

The ones i've come across in Scandinavian countries i can understand as building a temporary shelter could well save the persons life.
In the UK though it's hardly going to be a life or death skill that needs to be mastered.

I put people that build these eyesores on the same level as people that spray graffiti on other peoples property.
If they want to build these types of shelters then they should buy their own woods and they can do whatever they like.

The countryside is for everyone to enjoy and no one person has the right to do what they want when they want without taking responsibility for their actions.

Those that do not have a problem with these type of builds i wonder how they would feel if they woke up tomorrow morning with one of these monstrosities in their front garden.
Hey they're only kids having fun

Property? land? you own it then fine, you don't then leave it alone. :)

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Bet animals use these shelters. And a haven for bugs too. As long as living trees aren't damaged and folks aren't using polythene and stuff I don't see a problem with leaving these out to be reused, developed or left to rot - provided the habitat is big enough to accommodate it comfortably

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Bet animals use these shelters. And a haven for bugs too. As long as living trees aren't damaged and folks aren't using polythene and stuff I don't see a problem with leaving these out to be reused, developed or left to rot - provided the habitat is big enough to accommodate it comfortably

A very fair comment. I had noticed that the original constructors had flattened an area to place their original beam up against on the live supporting tree. Not to keen on that, but as you say. I think dead wood is fair game. It's all going to rot at the end of the day anyway.

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
i would have thought it was better to leave them be - the exception being if its your land - as anybody inclined to build one will either improve the existing or re- use the materials.

rather than chopping down some new materials.

assuming, as has been said previously, its all natural materials.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
It's funny how trends change, 10 years ago i would not have seen any! Now i could go out to some of my favourite waliking spots and within an hour i could photograph at least 6, all in woods with public access.

Some are really bad, children just having a go at a den i suppose, but some are very good indeed, people who obviously know what they are doing, i personally don't see anything wrong with any of them and it actually makes me smile when i see them.

I nearly always wander off the path to give them closer inspection, and i would never destroy anyones work, as a woodsman in recent years i have been positively encouraged to stack branches/brush and tops, to form a wildlife corridor, save work burning up etc, and provides a haven for allsorts, don't see that someones attempt at a shelter is any more than that really, also anything that gets kids out and may even encourage them to re visit a previously built shelter or den, is great in my view.

Imagine being 10 and with the help of dad/brother/other family members and friends, spending a couple of hours building one, then returning and somebody has destroyed it, how would you feel?

Anyway each to their own i suppose.

Ivan...

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
It's funny how trends change, 10 years ago i would not have seen any! Now i could go out to some of my favourite waliking spots and within an hour i could photograph at least 6, all in woods with public access.

Some are really bad, children just having a go at a den i suppose, but some are very good indeed, people who obviously know what they are doing, i personally don't see anything wrong with any of them and it actually makes me smile when i see them.

I nearly always wander off the path to give them closer inspection, and i would never destroy anyones work, as a woodsman in recent years i have been positively encouraged to stack branches/brush and tops, to form a wildlife corridor, save work burning up etc, and provides a haven for allsorts, don't see that someones attempt at a shelter is any more than that really, also anything that gets kids out and may even encourage them to re visit a previously built shelter or den, is great in my view.

Imagine being 10 and with the help of dad/brother/other family members and friends, spending a couple of hours building one, then returning and somebody has destroyed it, how would you feel?

Ivan...

couldnt agree more ivan

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk

Ivan...

+2. Spot on.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Couldn't disagree more.

If it was visible enough to be spotted and dismantled, you didn't do a good enough job building and disguising it.

Leave no trace isn't just good practice, it's an encouragment to practice to get it really right.

M

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Couldn't disagree more.

If it was visible enough to be spotted and dismantled, you didn't do a good enough job building and disguising it.

Leave no trace isn't just good practice, it's an encouragment to practice to get it really right.

M

...that's what they were doing, practising.... ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE