I was not happy with this article

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
The world consumes about 90 million barrels of oil, a lot of gas and coal per day. This is a lot of energy and other things, how exactly could we possibly create equivalents at a similar scale, every day all year round?

No idea... but we can start somewhere.

The only other option is to wait for the natural resources to run dry and be left with nothing but a cheeky smile on our faces that we've stripped the planet and got nothing to show for it.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
The world consumes about 90 million barrels of oil, a lot of gas and coal per day. This is a lot of energy and other things, how exactly could we possibly create equivalents at a similar scale, every day all year round?

Simple. We can not.
And as Dewi remarked the natural resources are running dry. At least the ones that are accessible to us.
The way I see it, is that we need to stop coming up with ideas, "solutions" and ways to patch up what we are doing today and what we need to do that, go back to the drawingboard and start with a clean slate, completely rethinking our current way of living. and our use of resources.

Last edited:

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
No, we can not. The future will have to run on a lot less energy and other things, which means (back to) a lot simpler existence for a lot less people than now.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Puzzled to why you think the average person would be able to make the fuel for free? The equipment needed to do it yourself costs... and its not cheap, so that expense would need to be added to the purchase price of the car. Then there is the permission to house it wherever you're going to put it... doubt councils will just allow the generators anywhere.... and finally, does everyone have the room for a hydrogen generator? What about the people with no driveway or garden?

http://www.reuk.co.uk/Tax-on-Biofuels.htm

No tax on biofuels as long as you do not sell them an and you limit to 2500l a year, or about 100,000 miles. Setting up your own hydrogen generator in the country shouldnt be that hard to get past the council, but I agree with what you say about the problems if you are in the city. The process of water seperation isnt hard water+ cathode +annode and a few solar panels, its not too expensive, and probably cheaper than producing diesil!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
No, we can not. The future will have to run on a lot less energy and other things, which means (back to) a lot simpler existence for a lot less people than now.

Which would certainly end capitalism, but at the same time cause the, shall we say, less understanding in society to believe they're being ripped off... end result... civil unrest.

Personal opinion, sooner or later we have to accept that all means of developing electricity is going to have its negative aspects... we need to choose one of the options and get building.

Meanwhile if some of science wouldn't mind solving the thorium puzzle instead of spending huge amounts of resources telling us what a satellite can tell us in a 24 hour period, we might have a bridging technology while other technologies are being researched. And if we solve the thorium puzzle before China does... we get to sell them technology... but I'm guessing we'll um and arr until China solves it, then we'll have a good old whinge as we pay the Chinese another 6 billion to secure the technology for 2030.

Doubt China will be too fussed either way... they've been promised a doubling in energy prices by 2030, which is nice.

Seriously though, there is nothing wrong with those who can getting solar panels installed... nothing stopping people trawling through products to find the most energy efficient and if needs must, and nowt to prevent any of us converting to hydrogen when the inevitable conversion guys get their fingers out.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
http://www.reuk.co.uk/Tax-on-Biofuels.htm

No tax on biofuels as long as you do not sell them an and you limit to 2500l a year, or about 100,000 miles. Setting up your own hydrogen generator in the country shouldnt be that hard to get past the council, but I agree with what you say about the problems if you are in the city. The process of water seperation isnt hard water+ cathode +annode and a few solar panels, its not too expensive, and probably cheaper than producing diesil!

Well yeah, I'd get away with a sneaky setup here if I juggled things round a bit, but there will be literally millions of people who won't be able to... it'll be the privileged few.

Are they categorising it as bio fuel then? I was under the impression it was being bundled in with LPG, which is a significantly lower tax than petrol or diesel, but still being taxed.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Thats 180 miles to the gallon - I'm guessing you drive a moped?

Yea definatley a moped, damn ipmerial metric, but its still 25000 miles ayear 2500 quid off your costs.
Are they categorising it as bio fuel then? I was under the impression it was being bundled in with LPG, which is a significantly lower tax than petrol or diesel, but still being taxed.

I was judging it by brew your own beer law view points, personnelconsumption, if you dont sell it they cant tax it. A little searching only bought up the tax on bio fuels, so im thinking you get 25000 miles untaxed (now).

Which would certainly end capitalism, but at the same time cause the, shall we say, less understanding in society to believe they're being ripped off... end result... civil unrest.

They would obviously just find a way of loading tax in other ways, if you used a thimble full of corn oil or a barrel of crude, they would still want exactly the same tax total off it. Capititalism is a dream. In a communist society at least the control is given recognition, in ours we are averse. And allergic to the point of being in denial about the control of the state(he says trying to stay on the right side of being political) you cant get planning permission to buld a house, a tax system geared to revenue( the government gets far more out of cars than motorists get out of government. It isthe way all governments all over the world are since the romans and doomsday, capitalism and free markets are just part of the conspiracy to delude the masses ( and a great dream it I too) there is no politics or polititians, just ways of runnin things that are a little different to others and is therefore not up for debate.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
More like 20,000 miles, but nevermind... point is, tax free bio fuel.

Doesn't work with hydrogen though... its going to be catergorised the same as LPG... same warning stickers, same regs, same taxes... quite how they'll calculate the base price is beyond me, but I'll keep an eye on the stock market. They usually know who is setting the price.... buy low... sell high :D

It's not political... its idealogical. Capitalism is anyone can rise to the top, communism is everyone is equal (yeah right) and totalitarianism is just do as you're told you peasant! :lmao:

Hydrogen will become a capitalist dream on its own... sell water to the public for a profit without having to make sure its suitable to drink. What could be better than that? Selling water to the flooded! (apologies to those flooded, it was a pun)

Only way things change for the better is if we embrace things and say yes a little more often. Nobody really knows what the future holds... but the future doesn't happen if we procrastinate. Strong forward thinking decisions for the benefit of the country and to stop the waste of resources.

The irony will be one day that the cure for cancer or its like will be oil... but the oil will all be gone. It'll happen. Then we'll be looking back to the good ole days over on BCUK when we'd have a debate about stuff and call each other names because we didn't agree... in the best possible taste of course :p

And yes... I made a Kenny Everett joke! It's a new year... I'm allowed!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Propulsion by electric motor has been the preferred system for super-heavy machinery for decades. Electric motors create max torque at zero revs.

So sure, a hydrogen-fuel-cell electric vehicle would be practical for heavier vehicles.

Hence my earlier reference to diesel-electric locomotives.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hydrogen can run a standard petrol engine... so question 1... how long does you standard petrol powered car last?......

......Question 3. How long does it take you to recoup the cost of a standard petrol car after purchase? Its irrelevant... you're not buying a hydrogen car to save money, you're buying it because its zero emissions. ......

A standard gas engine? Usually about 200k mikles

Actually if you want people tpo buy it, it'll have to be worth what they spend so YES, every decision I make is based on money.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Do many people really commute hundreds of miles a day? Sounds like a real need to encourage/allow them to live much closer to where they work/shop/worship/etc. Preferably walking distance.

A lot of folks I know work at jobs that change locations every few months; when you finish building one bridge, dam, whatever, the next one may be hundreds of miles away. That said. most people live within a half hour drive of work.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....Personal opinion, sooner or later we have to accept that all means of developing electricity is going to have its negative aspects........

That's a fact with this and all other technological problems. Every problem has a solution and every solution presents a new problem.

-The internal combustion engine was originally seen to reduce pollution (horse manure on the streets) but resulted in the current problem
-Discovering fire enabled man to cook food (making it safer) and stay warm (surviving freezing weather) but created burning hazards.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Ummm. No. LPG can't be used in a petrol engine without mods.

That's an odd reply considering I said...

dewi said:
.....Just like LPG, hydrogen can be fed (with modifications) into a standard petrol engine........

So I'm saying LPG and hydrogen with modifications into a standard petrol engine :confused: So why are you disagreeing with me? I'm confused (which is not hard at the minute)

A standard gas engine? Usually about 200k mikles

Actually if you want people tpo buy it, it'll have to be worth what they spend so YES, every decision I make is based on money.

So you won't be buying a hydrogen-powered car then... fair enough. My statement was you're not buying it to save money, but to drive on zero emissions... if you choose that you want to save money rather than emissions, that is totally up to you. Doesn't speak for anyone else though. I don't even buy into the CO2 warming theory, but I would still like to drive something that has zero emissions.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not huge mods.

Lots of cars in Australia are modded to have an LPG and a petrol tank. Switching from one to the other is just a matter of pressing a button on the dash.

A few over here as well, but usually between LNG and diesel. The biggest downside being the extra tank taking up much of the cargo bed. Is CNG popular there yet?

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My 2006 Pajero is running on lpg with no modification. The engine is lpg compatible from the factory.

Some are sold over here as LNG vehicles from the factory as well, but they ain't dual compatible. They CAN be modded to be though. I have no idea how complicated or expensive (or inexpensive) those mods are, but they are indeed mods.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That's an odd reply considering I said...

So I'm saying LPG and hydrogen with modifications into a standard petrol engine :confused: So why are you disagreeing with me? I'm confused (which is not hard at the minute).....

Sorry then; I misread your statement.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE