I was not happy with this article

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
http://mumpsimus.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/ending-world-with-hope-and-comfort.html

Author doesnt seem to like survivalists.

Or understand them.

They mention Anne Frank; Well, her family tried to find a way out of the situation, -that they failed is sad but more satisfying than others who did nothing to survive.

People try to survive, (if they have any sense.) Do you think our ancestors sat down and did nothing when things got tough? No, they worked to get ahead...Thats how they became our ancestors.

I know some of us have had it tough, but we did our best.

I myself have gone though apathetic times.

Tengu (Whose friend is stranded almost helpless without support over Christmas, -they are old, and have had enough terminal illnesses to kill an army, -but have bounced back. My father is closest to her (an hours drive away!) and at least there is the phone...What do we do?)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Warning to anyone who tries to read that article... I read it... start to finish.

Matthew Cheney, what you've written is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent blog post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone who has read it is now dumber for having read it. I award you zero points for effort or fact, and may you wake up tomorrow with a boil on your bottom so big that when it hurts to sit down, you think about how stupid your blog post was.

You've been taken in by someone who hasn't bothered to read anything Tengu, they haven't bothered to research... they have, as said, rambled incoherently. Rambled on about alarmist theories and predictions, based on nothing more than believing an argument fed to the gullible. Did you know they removed gullible from the English dictionary last year? Scandalous!

Ignore, wash and repeat until you feel clean again Tengu, and thank whatever deity you worship for the fact that you're sane and Matthew Cheney needs help.... lots of help.

With your friend, ring them on the telephone. Speak to them and talk about something good in your life. I was 'terminally ill' and the last thing I wanted to hear was doom and gloom... I wanted brightness, hope and most of all... I wanted a beer!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Anyone who uses the phrase

a global warming denialist

deserves a special place in hell

Denialist?

Pillock

My personal favourite was right at the start with the.... Unless massive changes are made in the next few decades, it's highly likely that the Earth's biosphere will alter drastically enough to kill off most forms of life..... even the most swivel-eyed environmentalist loonies are predicting a 2.5C increase in the next century which wouldn't kill off the common house fly! Uncomfortable, if true, but it ain't killing off most life forms.... that's fantasy land right there from our Matthew!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Anyone who uses the phrase

deserves a special place in hell

Denialist?

Pillock
UKDU6Hf.gif

I don't think that many people on either side of the global warming issue really believe that climate change is going to bring about an environmental apocalypse in the foreseeable future. Civil unrest, political instability, and masses of refugees fleeing from home lands that are no longer viable places to live might cause an apocalypse or something like it.

Despite that it isn't very controversial to point out that an apocalypse would be a bad thing, and would be best avoided if at all possible - and anything that makes people fantasize that such an event might have a significant upside is just wrong. No matter how many chickens or bullets you have.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
The one question of climate change is the chicken and the egg, did co2 make climate change or the warming made more co2.
250px-Vostok_420ky_4curves_insolation.jpg

The picture is from this article which supports a 25000 year minor 100,000 yea major ice age cycle due to the orbit of the planet and its axial tilt. Its not the only article on the net, there is a little more reading if you need!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milankovitch_cycles

According to it were at the peak of the temperature and co2 major 100000 year cycle and were about to come down in a crash (again), so our increased co2 we may be grateful of, turn us into the temperature of the carboniferous, unless the comet that struck earth hasn't knocked us too far out of a nice warm orbit, the dinsaurs may ave survived it though.

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
Ok ill wade in here and offer my tuppence. Go grab a tea or a beer. This might take a while.

Firstly I aprove of the term climate change denier. To take current scientific evidence (and not some graphs that someone has put on the Internet) and disagree with it is denial. The reason we are encouraged to use this term, is to get rid of tge term global warming non-belivers. This is a scientific matter, belief does not belong here. You may choose not to believe that germs exist. Fine, but science currently suggests they do and you'll still get sick. Washing your hands from time to time would probably make things nicer anyway.

Right now let's look at the bit about a couple of centuries =insta-apocalypse. This isn't exactly what the author is saying. He's referring to data that suggests if we don't make changes in the next few decades it will have irreversible effects in a few centuries time. This is linked to the fact that an increase in temp DOES lead to increased CO2 and vice versa. It will cause a snowball effect. Well it would if the snowball wouldn't melt.

Now what i think the aricle suggests is not that he disagrees with trying to stay alive and that we should all give up. He disagrees with mushy entertainment etc that focus on the good and not the unimaginable horror that would accompany a pan global life limiting event (trying not to use apocalypse for the same religion removal proposes*) he feels this is fueling a desire to see or live in an era in which it occurs because we think it would be fun, cool to shoot s**t and generally get rid of the idiots. Its a thought I've had many times I must confess. Maybe it would be awesome and fun for the few that survive but maybe we should focus on trying to fix the fixable problems rather than romanticise and accept the issue as inevitable.

Right time to get to the disagrees.

I, like many of you here, was indoctrinated into the 'be prepared' culture from an early age. I have my camping bag ready to roll mostly so if I fancy a trip with short notice I won't forget to much. I research and practice skills so that when I inevitably do forget stuff I won't have to come home, buy more stuff or die. It would work as a bug out bag but I don't classify myself as a survivalist. That said being prepared isn't a bad thing and if s**t hits the fan as the preppers say, you best belive I ain't going to lie down and wait for my brains to become zombie chow.

I think the article also goes a little awry when he starts teetering just short of shouting "all survivalist are white middle class neo-nazis". Its called Godwin's law - basically if you bring your argument to Hitler or nazis, you've lost. I'm sure there are plenty of gun nuts that think hollow points will save them from an uninhabitable planet and look forward to proving it. There are also lots of survivalist that would just rather live in the woods with fewer rules saying they can't.

Finally, and sorry if you've finished your beer or tea by now, books and movies are entertainment. Yes they can make you think and motivate you to make positive changes but no one wants to read a book about billions of people dying and on one page in the middle someone living slightly longer. If you want that story then actually ignore my suggestions of removing religion from this issue and pick up a bible.

Rant complete. sorry for the typos.

* I think PGLLE could catch on

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
I finished reading Station Eleven, a moderately good post-apocalyptic novel. Unable to see the points he was trying to make. The novelist proposes the disaster and works their characters through it. There are total disaster and the end of all things novels if you want them but SE isn't one of them.

Back then when nuclear war was a real threat I was a Community Technical Adviser for Wiltshire and we planned to operate in the margin between disasters handled by the emergency services with help as needed by the armed forces and volunteers and the possible total obliteration.

Margins are an important concept and remain so today. Short of the world catching fire as in the film no matter what drought, flood etc happens then life certainly and humanity probably would survive. A bug out bag etc might increase that margin.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We know what a denier is chaard ( a deliberately emotive term), but what's a denialist?

Oh BTW, given that the IPCC deny there was any change in global mean temperature in the decade to 2012, do we assume they are global warming deniers? :)

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Chaard, what you've written is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent blog post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone who has read it is now dumber for having read it. :p

Fill the kettle or get a keg, this may take even longer...

Firstly I aprove of the term climate change denier. To take current scientific evidence (and not some graphs that someone has put on the Internet) and disagree with it is denial. The reason we are encouraged to use this term, is to get rid of tge term global warming non-belivers. This is a scientific matter, belief does not belong here. You may choose not to believe that germs exist. Fine, but science currently suggests they do and you'll still get sick. Washing your hands from time to time would probably make things nicer anyway.

Your first paragraph really is dumbing down the argument. Firstly, not a single soul on Earth can deny climate change. Its not some scientific theory, nor is it up for debate. Climate change is what happens on most planets depending on their orbit around the sun and the natural cycle of the environment on that planet. There is evidence of climate change on Mars, on Venus and even the ice moon of Jupiter. The scientific study of climate change, again, isn't up for debate. Arguably the migrating humans from thousands of years ago knew of climate change... hence the reason they migrated.

What you really meant was global warming deniers. So lets take that current scientific evidence and see if we can justify whether the science should be believed or not. The argument for global warming is a fractional increase in temperature over 135 years... an increase of 0.8c. Coupled with this is the rising level of CO2, some 72ppm over the period since 1880 to 1998, then a further 36ppm (approximately) from 1998 to present day.... and the suggestion has been made by certain scientists (not all) that the CO2 is driving temperature increases. Taking your statement of "This is a scientific matter, belief does not belong here", you have to accept the simple truth, which is that multiple sources have reported that the temperature has flat-lined for the past 18 to 19 years, while at the same time CO2 being released into the atmosphere has exploded. If the science of the global warming alarmist (just as you approve of 'denier', I approve of 'alarmist') is to be believed, then since 1998, if there is a correlation between increasing CO2 and temperature, we should have seen an increase of 0.4c in that period.... and the data sets by various organisations do not show that, nothing even near it.

The alarmist points to the receding ice fields of the north, whilst conveniently ignoring the extra 220 billion tons of ice in the south. The alarmist points to so-called 'extreme' weather events, when historic record shows us that this isn't the most turbulent time for weather events, not by a long way. And the alarmist is quick to point to the NASA data, demanding that you agree with the 'rise' in temperature that is shown there, but not taking into account that the land temperature that has been used as a standard for the past 135 years shows flat-lining, but the recently introduced land and sea temperature scale, shows an overall increase. Why? Because the data sets used for gathering are not evenly spread. For instance, there are 167 measuring stations in the north to get the best readings possible. In the south, there are 8.... not 80.... eight!

To the layman, if you add 2 and 2, you get 4... but then the alarmist argues that this data must be 'corrected' through homogenisation. This is done with the best of intentions, but data sets taken for decades and are proven to be accurate are altered to harmonise them with other data sets. It happens in other areas of science without any fuss because its not dishonest, it is simply correcting for localised variations. The problem is though, when you do it with temperature data in particular, a steady temperature can be made to look very much like an increasing temperature. Again, nothing wrong with that, unless that data set is to be used as evidence so governments can tax based on that evidence. It then becomes very wrong.

But you don't need to be told by me. The IPCC themselves know that the temperature rise expected since 1998 hasn't happened, and they are honest about the fact that they don't expect any further rises for the next decade. Respected climate scientists, the very people who suggested the CO2 theory in the first place have publicly stated that their models were wrong, that the expected temperature increase hasn't happened and the science is back to square one. If you'd like a list of their names and their statements, I'll be more than happy to get them if there is any doubt in your mind.

So, why, if the IPCC and the very climate scientists who began the 'alarmists' on their journey agree that the science needs looking at again, do we have thousands of people still believing that we're heading for an apocalypse? Very easy. The governments, who at first were reluctant to accept the early science, now accept that early science and are determined to act on it by taxing it. They've worked out a carbon credit system that will have developing nations paying a tax to the already developed nations. Not only that, but they've calculated a way to allow big business a way out of doing any environmental improvement, because big business can 'buy' carbon credit from companies or organisations who are not using their full allowance of carbon credit.

Minor flaw is, the science has done what science does best. Its proved the early science wrong, the models to be flawed and the CO2 theory to be on shaky ground to say the least. Nobody predicted that increasing CO2 would actually be beneficial to plants and cause areas of the planet to bloom. Few predicted that the warming oceans would prove beneficial to the coral reefs, arguably the 'liver' of the sea.

Politics meanwhile has done what it does best. It has taken a scientific theory which was believed true, a theory that has been proven incorrect by the very people who stated it, and it has corrupted it. Turned it into a sound bite message that it pumps through its media outlets whilst at the same time feeding the scientific organisations which profit nicely by sticking with the early science and trying desperately to prove it to be true by whatever means necessary. Huge conspiracy surrounding global warming? Nope... just greed and politics have taken science and corrupted it as has happened again and again throughout history.

Back to climate change. Nobody can deny the climate is changing and it will for as long as this planet remains. We, the humans, who live here don't own the planet, we have no control over it. That rather large volcano in Yellowstone Park in America... if that puppy decides its time to come out and play, nobody will have the luxury of discussing the wolves or anything else for a good couple of centuries. Its unlikely, but not impossible.

What is infinitely more possible is that sea levels will rise and fall. Temperatures will rise and fall. And just as the green fields around Egypt turned to dust, so will many others, whilst elsewhere on the planet a dust bowl will become green again. Our influence on that is debatable. Should we be polluting the waterways with chemicals? Should we be polluting the soil with chemicals? And what about the air?

The real enemy is pollution, the poisoned rivers, the mismanagement of finite resources... none of this is addressed by the current political push on manmade global warming. Their solution isn't to decrease pollution, but to tax it... and frankly if you're earning a billion pounds for dropping chemicals into the sea, and the government demands 100 million, then gives you permission once you've paid.... you still earn 900 million! The sea is still polluted, the chemicals still being dumped, but the government is 100 million better off... thats it.

Rather than fight the impossible... the change of climates... the environmental movement should switch back to what it should have been doing all the way along. Highlighting the pollution, highlighting the waste of natural resources.... applying pressure for renewables to replace finite resources... but most of all not letting the politicians get away with allowing their big business buddies to pollute our planet for a few silver coins. Not allowing the politicians to distract from the real environmental issues by using a debunked scientific theory from two decades ago.

Now... I'll go sit over in the corner and wait for the inevitable 'alarmists' who will now claim I'm not a climate scientist... that I should blindly believe the media and political hype surrounding their ''preferred' scientific reasoning.... and reaching out for links that often have already been proven to be flights of fantasy. As was highlighted in another thread on this subject... the alarmist can rant... the alarmist can rave... but they have a tough time arguing the facts because to them there is nothing else to prove... the 'science' is proven we're told.

Chaard said:
This is a scientific matter, belief does not belong here.

Chaard

Forager
Jul 9, 2013
Reading
Thanks toddy. Good to be back and have some spare time again.

Boatman- really good to hear from someone who has read the book in question. Would you reccomend it as a decent read?

British red- pretty sure denialist is a word - I googled it and OED have a great example of it in a sentence you should check out (link)

Also you could be right! We might all be ok and worrying too much but steering away from non renewable fuel seems like a good idea wouldn't you agree.

Dewi- thanks for resorting to insults (yes I get that you recalled what you wrote in your 1st post. Still not very nice). As I say to red i think whether i'm right or wrong the goal is the same. Lets focus on that. I'm just agreeing with the majority of experts. Yes that might make me a sheep but a trusting one :) a bit a little knowledge is often a bad thing. Just look at the antivaxxers!

Also let's not tell people reading something will make them stupider unless were talking about The Sun.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Dewi- thanks for resorting to insults (yes I get that you recalled what you wrote in your 1st post. Still not very nice). As I say to red i think whether i'm right or wrong the goal is the same. Lets focus on that. I'm just agreeing with the majority of experts. Yes that might make me a sheep but a trusting one :) a bit a little knowledge is often a bad thing. Just look at the antivaxxers!

Also let's not tell people reading something will make them stupider unless were talking about The Sun.

I apologise Chaard, it was most definitely meant as a joke and not an insult... its just my sense of humour, which is often taken the wrong way. I genuinely had no intention to insult you, it was just a pun from (as you say) the reference to the first post. Even the reference in the first post is a reference to Billy Madison... a film quote. It's a pun, nothing more.

Can I just say though, you're not agreeing with the majority of the experts. Nowhere near the majority. If you can show me evidence that the majority support the view you've expressed, I'll be happy to look at it. But you can not.. I've tried to find it, and it does not exist.

You said it yourself... This is a scientific matter, belief does not belong here.

Either the science is provable or it is not. But there is room for debate... it is only the alarmist that refuses the debate by labeling their opponent a denier and claiming consensus. Unfortunately for the alarmist, there is no consensus... far from it.

Again, apologies if you thought I was insulting you.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
British red- pretty sure denialist is a word - I googled it and OED have a great example of it in a sentence you should check out (link)

And what, pray, is wrong with "denier"? Why do we need a new and longer word for one which has been in common use for yonks?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE