I want to buy a good all purpose knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
I didn't say that you couldn't get a scandi sharp unless it was a zero edge, or if that's how it was read, I didn't mean it that way. I have tried my own scandis with and without stone ground micro bevels and the ones without such secondary bevels out-cut those that did. Both could still shave and slice paper and all those other tests for sharpenss. They just didn't cut wood the same way. I strop everything.

What I really meant though was that I have seen a heck of a lot of scandis which were sharpened badly because keeping the bevel flat was difficult and what you end up with is a short, thick, secondary bevel, or convex which is a long way removed from the micro bevels that we were just talking about.

I am with Hoohoo on the food prep. When I have been on canoe trips in Sweden and Norway, prime "bushcraft" country, knives get used most for food prep, whith fire wood prep being the number two function. If a Scandi is used, it works best if it is very thin, like the Mora, but given same stock thickness, a flat grind will still cut food better.

My apologies mate, I misunderstood :eek: I agree about stropping, and that's how I set in microbevels too, stone-ground makes them too rough whereas if you do it with a strop, the full cutting edge will be polished even if the entire grind isn't :) I know what you mean about problems sharpening scandis, my first Mora clipper is that way! Reserved for kitchen duty now . . .

I don't necessarily prefer thin blades, though on principle I don't like anything thicker than 3mm. My 'do everything' blade is my Scandi-ground Bernie Garland knife, in 3mm with a 19 degree bevel, but my Enzo's still a great knife in 3.5mm with a 15 degree bevel. I must admit to really liking the high grinds on Finnish knives. To be honest, I've never had a knife thicker than 2mm with a grind bigger than 20 degrees, so I've never really had a problem with scandis as far as food preparation goes; certainly nothing serious enough to warrant choosing a different grind.

Pete

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
For an all-round blade, I tend to agree with Chris. I generally prefer a thin blade with a flat grind, small bevel, flat grind, convex bevel, or convex grind. If it can't clean a bluegill, or slice bread, cheese and beefstick with ease, I don't really consider it an all-rounder.

ingram1b.jpg

If it's a scandi, I prefer a thin blade, 3/32" thick or less.
That Gene Ingram is nice:)

It's not a bad idea, sometimes, to think outside the Woodlore box. ;) :pokenest:
Usually
so I've never really had a problem with scandis as far as food preparation goes; certainly nothing serious enough to warrant choosing a different grind.

Pete
You've never tried a 4 or 5mm woodie to slice carrots then?

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
You've never tried a 4 or 5mm woodie to slice carrots then?

The thickest knife I have is an Enzo at 3.5mm; take a look at the grind on it:
enzo2.jpg

It has a 15 degree bevel, and I can assure you, has no problems cutting carrots :D

All my other scandis are 2 or 3mm :) Whether I like the Woodie is a whole nother matter, I think it's a terrible design personally. But I disagree with the notion that the grind is the problem!

Pete

pitta-pitta

Banned
Dec 5, 2009
Huddersfield
Lots to think on over the Christmas Turkey. Is it just me but I tried to type the name Bernie Garland over on British Blades and his name won't come up. I just get ****** *******. Is there something I'm missing or is it just a computer bug? I was trying to see what people there thought of Bernie's work. It just keeps blanking it though? Any suggestions?

paulbibby

Tenderfoot
Nov 4, 2008
Kempsford Cotswolds
Lots to think on over the Christmas Turkey. Is it just me but I tried to type the name Bernie Garland over on British Blades and his name won't come up. I just get ****** *******. Is there something I'm missing or is it just a computer bug? I was trying to see what people there thought of Bernie's work. It just keeps blanking it though? Any suggestions?

sigh
its all got childish im sorry to say pitta pitta
a vendetta has been started by little people who speak lots but say nothing.
its a situation that is in a sorry state much to the blame of a small minority of insecure little people.. pay no heed to it!!
research bernie and you will find many happy and contented owners of his knives also take a look at roger harrison of Bison bushcraft

pitta-pitta

Banned
Dec 5, 2009
Huddersfield
sigh
its all got childish im sorry to say pitta pitta
a vendetta has been started by little people who speak lots but say nothing.
its a situation that is in a sorry state much to the blame of a small minority of insecure little people.. pay no heed to it!!
research bernie and you will find many happy and contented owners of his knives also take a look at roger harrison of Bison bushcraft

OK mate. I thought it was me going mad. When I typed his name it read on my draft but then dissappeared when I posted. It makes it hard to ask for proper advice. I can see Bernie Garland is a good maker and he's on my short list. Anyway, enough excitement for one day.:confused::confused::confused:

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
. Is it just me but I tried to type the name Bernie Garland over on British Blades and his name won't come up. I just get ****** *******. Is there something I'm missing or is it just a computer bug? I

Hes banned there and here I do not know why or wish to be involved in any discussions about it as this has no bearing on the quality of his work which is much admired.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
OK mate. I thought it was me going mad. When I typed his name it read on my draft but then dissappeared when I posted. It makes it hard to ask for proper advice. I can see Bernie Garland is a good maker and he's on my short list. Anyway, enough excitement for one day.:confused::confused::confused:

It's to do with the person rather than the knives mate. Bernie (the person) is like marmite :lmao:

PeterHW

Forager
Dec 31, 2005
U.K.
I bought a knife from Roger Harrison and unfortunately had to send it back.....it might be the only bad one he has done...so I cannot comment further....but the grinds were badly off centre....and I do mean badly....but in fairness to the guy he took it back and refunded my money....and no one is perfect....every maker will have a bad day....but I was suprised it was not noticed and "pulled" before it went out....

Also....be aware that some types of woods offered for grips whislt being very pretty can be a bit "soft" and show "dinks and dents"....you can lift these out with steam from a wet cloth and heat ( iron works best but be careful )....or you can buy wooden grips which are very hard and from my perspective are better suited...

I happened to order "applewood" on that knife...my choice and no-one else is responsible...but the grips were very soft in comparison to other woods....YMMV...but it is worth noting this when considering what to choose...

The thickest knife I have is an Enzo at 3.5mm; take a look at the grind on it:
enzo2.jpg

It has a 15 degree bevel, and I can assure you, has no problems cutting carrots :D

All my other scandis are 2 or 3mm :) Whether I like the Woodie is a whole nother matter, I think it's a terrible design personally. But I disagree with the notion that the grind is the problem!

Pete

See you do have other grinds than Scandi thats a Sabre grind :D nice fat secondary will soon sort it out ;)

the Woody profile is fine much better in 3mm and higher grind for most stuff or at least a Dital taper on a 4mm blank and higher grind etc
also works well scaled down in size

im playing with some with high sabre grinds nearly full flat which should work fine

still not my fav Bushy knife which is about to become one in 6mm thick ive nearly finished :eek::D with a Hybrid grind
:mexwave::mexwave::mexwave:

ATB

Duncan

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Being a bit of a knife geek I own and use knives from:
Stuart Mitchell; Bernie Garland; Guy Stainthorp, John Millington; Elma; Karl Erik Lindblad; Joel Delorme (JoJo); Mykul Morris (USA); Harry Boden; Bowen Blades (USA); Barry Scott (Yep him!); Stuart Barker; Chevin; Paul Baker; Wilkinson Sword; Driftwoodwalker; Shing and quite a few more.

I find that I tend to carry my Elma knives most often as they are affordable and do the job brilliantly and on a double dangler can be carried on a belt but in the pocket to reduce the profile! He does a mean sheath and matching firesteel if asked too. He and Joel Delorme could probably make a couple of matched knives in different styles for that amount too (worth thinking about)!

Stu M does make exceedingly good knives and I use a couple as neck knives regularly and they are excellent!

My latest is from Mykul Morris in the States (bought to accompany a friction folder of his, which is my EDC) and I can't wait to test it out in the New Year. It's certainly well designed and made!

I'm not on commission but very pleased with all my purchases from here and over on BB. Each knife has its own strengths and uses but as long as you know what your going to use it for, you should be spoilt for choice.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
See you do have other grinds than Scandi thats a Sabre grind :D nice fat secondary will soon sort it out ;)
Howdy mate! I disagree :) However, I can't seem to find many people who agree on what a Sabre grind is (between high scandi and full flat). I just consider it a fairly typical Finnish Scandi grind. There's no questioning that it's Scandinavian :p At any rate, I prefer to think of it as a Scandi simply because I don't really understand the point of seperating 'High scandi but not a full flat' from Scandi :p And, of course, because it is scandinavian. It does have a microbevel though, full on secondaries don't do much for me except on proper full flat grinds ;)

the Woody profile is fine much better in 3mm and higher grind for most stuff or at least a Dital taper on a 4mm blank and higher grind etc
also works well scaled down in size

im playing with some with high sabre grinds nearly full flat which should work fine

still not my fav Bushy knife which is about to become one in 6mm thick ive nearly finished :eek::D with a Hybrid grind
:mexwave::mexwave::mexwave:

ATB

Duncan

I have been interested in one of your woodies for a while; I don't think that it's a fundamentally bad knife, I just think that the thickness and geometry don't pair up well at all, and the blade profile wouldn't work for me. I think that a high scandi and 3mm steel would do it a world of good!

Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE