I want a defender, I want a defender!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Talk you out of it?

If you like spending most weekends tinkering with them and don't mind pouring money into them, they are fine. If you want to just get in a car and drive it and arrive at your destination (even off road), don't.

They are hobby cars, second cars, cars for tinkering with - like a Caterham or moggy minor. They are not a sensible investment for regular transport with some off road use. I have had several of them. I wont have another. I got bored with fixing them constantly when I realised there are cars that are far more refined on road, nearly as good off road, and do miles in the hundred thousand + without needing a single fix. Unless you like to tinker, get something else.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
If you're considering restoring, then you'll love your lanny as she'll keep you plenty busy but reward you well for it :) Good 110s are fairly hard to find as there'll always be wanted for work trucks, it keeps the prices high. There's a real shortage of good defenders atm, be careful you're not buying a Nottingham lace bulkhead which has been titivated to get top dollar or a ringer, theft levels are through the roof with prices up so :S so DEFINATELY HPI check any you look at!

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Red I have a company car, and I work in the motor trade so I probably wouldnt work on it, we get highly discounted work done on our cars as a staff benefit! its just for abit fun for the weekend, driving company cars can get abit boring!

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Talk you out of it?

If you like spending most weekends tinkering with them and don't mind pouring money into them, they are fine. If you want to just get in a car and drive it and arrive at your destination (even off road), don't.

They are hobby cars, second cars, cars for tinkering with - like a Caterham or moggy minor. They are not a sensible investment for regular transport with some off road use. I have had several of them. I wont have another. I got bored with fixing them constantly when I realised there are cars that are far more refined on road, nearly as good off road, and do miles in the hundred thousand + without needing a single fix. Unless you like to tinker, get something else.

total tosh !! Had me td5 since it were two years old , going on for 8year old now and only spent £200 on it !!! barrin tyres and oil ,mot !! thats a good motor in my book !!

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
I would go for the 200 or 300 TDi myself - classic shape with a more frugal engine. I have a 300TDi in my Discovery and imho it is the best of the 'real' Landrover engines without all that electronic crapola.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
I would go for the 200 or 300 TDi myself - classic shape with a more frugal engine. I have a 300TDi in my Discovery and imho it is the best of the 'real' Landrover engines without all that electronic crapola.
Totally agree iv had 2 300tdi and they've both been good

Mar 14, 2012
uk
im getting one as soon as i have the money and im of legal age to drive it oh and when i can insure one and im touring africa in one when im a few years older :rolleyes:!
so i can help talk you into buying one and i can give you advice on which one to buy but i cant help with your original post :D
Cheers Ed

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
must admit - i did have a issue with the cpu !! Took it too the garage and he wiped the memory ?? saying it was showing a lot of `faults` it was running sluggish beforehand ?? But never had a problem since he wiped it ???

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE