I.s noise?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Just bought the canon 70 to 300mm I.S lens and are well chuffed but.....does the is on any body else's lens make a noise? Its not terrible just a kind of a clockwork noise that stops a few seconds after taking a pic. Everything else seems to be in order but the kit lens is doesn't make his noise!?!
Anyhoo ta for your thoughts
Dave

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The lens has motors in it that shift elements of the lens around to counteract the camera shake.

I have the 70-200 f2.8 IS L, I've never noticed noises but you can feel stuff shifting if you're hand holding.

If you're in doubt go to a dealer and try another version of the same lens and see if it's the same.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thanks Gary as thinking that I would do that, the usm is pretty quiet but was surprised by the noise. The noise goes if I turn the i.s off.
Will try to get to a dealer.
Ta Dave

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
If it's a 'whirring' noise that starts when you press the shutter to the first stop (focusing) and stops about 5 seconds after you release the shutter button, with a slight 'clunk' then that sounds normal to me - I've got it on my 70-210 and the 100-400.

If you watch through the viewfinder at the same time as listening while hand-held, you should notice the whirring co-incides with the picture becoming more stable, and stops just as the picture goes 'wobbly' again.

HTH

Steve

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Sorry forgot about this thread as been in Scotland.
Thanks for the comment Steve will have a look as suggested.
Dave
Just an update ,you are bang on Steve it is the i.s working not sure why the kit lens doesn't make the same noise but anyway it does as you say cool!

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
The lens has motors in it that shift elements of the lens around to counteract the camera shake.

Lens manufacturers have traditionly taken great pains to centre lens elements and ensure that they're all on the same optical axis, to achieve optimum optical performance.

Surely 'jiggling' lens elements around to achieve image stabilisation must degrade the lens's optical performance?

Jim

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Lens manufacturers have traditionly taken great pains to centre lens elements and ensure that they're all on the same optical axis, to achieve optimum optical performance.

Surely 'jiggling' lens elements around to achieve image stabilisation must degrade the lens's optical performance?

Jim
maybe....

but I've heard Canon know a thing or two about lenses ;)

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Yes ( I think!) pretty sure. Does as said and when the whirring stops the movement in the view finder is increased.
Anyway as everything woks think thats the end of it.
Must go Spring watch is on!
Ta again Dave

Ropeman

Forager
Apr 16, 2005
Aberdeen

Jim

I'm sure it would if I made one but Canon and Nikon seem to have worked it out.

It's essentially a gyroscope, the glass stays central but the body 'moves'.

Dec 6, 2008
lincolnshire
Sorry forgot about this thread as been in Scotland.
Thanks for the comment Steve will have a look as suggested.
Dave
Just an update ,you are bang on Steve it is the i.s working not sure why the kit lens doesn't make the same noise but anyway it does as you say cool!

I have the canon 55-250mm and this does as yours does,i also have an image stabilised 18-55mm kit lens and i cant hardly hear the IS motors on that one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE