I phone which one ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AndyJDickson

Sep 29, 2011
Northern Ireland
I had the same dilema as you a couple of months ago. I really didnt use/want my phone for anything else but phoning and texting. When the renewal come up I was talked into an HTC. I love the phone and enjoy the android software. I had a Ipod Touch beforehand so I know I phone and wasnt fussed having a phone and a touch. The only problem with the HTC is the memory space. I recommend the galaxy s2. its by far the best phone I have seen in a long long time

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
My only issue with the Galaxys, awesome as they are, is that they are HUGE. Hardly something that will slip unobtrusively into ones pocket... iPhone 4 on the left, Galaxy on the right.
gsmarena_015.jpg
ft

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I have the waterproof Motorolla Defy (android)- it is brilliant- loads of free outdoor apps, I don't worry about slipping it into the pocket of my waterproof or the lid of my rucksack on a rainy day, and although the body is more compact than an Iphone, the screen is bigger.

I bought a larger battery for about a fiver including postage from ebay and now it lasts a good couple of days.

*Dusty*

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2011
N Ireland
buy the iPhone first, if you don't like it the resale on it will still be excellent and you can use the money for an Android.

I use the iPhone, key thing for me is backup. You go the Apple store as I did yesterday and they simply replaced the handset to eliminate any possibility of a hardware issue being the root cause of my problem.

I don't want to customise the UI, I wouldn't know how to anyway and don't really see why people do it anyway. iPhone just works, is good for people who just want something intuitive :)

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Most smartphones now are just poor copies of the iphone, the concept, the software and the technology. With the original iphone, apple blew everything else out of the water and the reality is, the competitors are all just frantically trying to catch up - by copying them. They have copied the look, the innovation, the functionality, the interface, the style - everything. I very much dislike itunes because of the way it forces you to behave, but the fact is that the iphone, particularly the iphone4 is a staggeringly good product, that is imitated by all the others. Some people are just determined not to like it, as if it would hurt them inside in some way if they did. They love their desire, galaxy or whatever other iphone copy they use, but hate the iphone - hello!!! :D I dont understand it, but it's their problem not mine. My biggest issue with the phone is the cost, they are horribly expensive.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
No offence Rik, but you're getting to be a bit of a bore.

What phone do you have Martyn lol, my word your a fanboy now and becoming Apple sensitive/tiresome ;). The iPhone is very good but Apple took ideas from other folk to get the iphone, please be under no doubt or illusion on this, they were not innovators just simple developers.

Android is the biggest selling phone OS system, people from all budgets can now get a 'smart phone' without getting into the whole Apple ideology.

I only upgraded from my HTC G1 to the Galaxy S2 because I thought if I'm going to spend a few hundred quid on a phone (I don't like contracts) I'd buy the best available at the time and the S2 seems to be that.........for now, something will be better soon I've no doubt but I'm positive it ain't the 4S.

Don't get me started about Apple computers:)

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Most smartphones now are just poor copies of the iphone, the concept, the software and the technology. With the original iphone, apple blew everything else out of the water and the reality is, the competitors are all just frantically trying to catch up - by copying them. They have copied the look, the innovation, the functionality, the interface, the style - everything. I very much dislike itunes because of the way it forces you to behave, but the fact is that the iphone, particularly the iphone4 is a staggeringly good product, that is imitated by all the others. Some people are just determined not to like it, as if it would hurt them inside in some way if they did. They love their desire, galaxy or whatever other iphone copy they use, but hate the iphone - hello!!! :D I dont understand it, but it's their problem not mine. My biggest issue with the phone is the cost, they are horribly expensive.

I think that's an extremely arrogant and closed minded way of looking at it.

To be honest i have recommended the Iphone to many people over the last few years when asked, overwhelmingly the reason many of these turned down the Iphone was because of the almost fanatical following that some people have over them.

It's a phone, to my mind it's not worth 10 mins out of my day to think about, so i sure as hell don't care strongly enough to argue over one.
To that point anyone that does just seems kinda "odd" to me.

No offence intended at you because i do not know you and have no idea if your like that, rather i'm just pointing a certain level of enthusiasm bordering on fanaticism for a inanimate object does tends to put some people off.

With regard to copying.
As i said before both types of phone will do more than most users will ever use them for, speaking as someone who has had both Iphones and Androids they certainly are NOT a copy of each other.
They both have advantages and disadvantages, i have a Iphone 4 sitting in a desk drawer because i prefer my Desire HD, that's my choice i prefer the ability to change my battery if needed, to swap out memory cards and i use flash.

It's only a phone though.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
It's a phone, to my mind it's not worth 10 mins out of my day to think about, so i sure as hell don't care strongly enough to argue over one.
To that point anyone that does just seems kinda "odd" to me.

No offence intended at you because i do not know you and have no idea if your like that, rather i'm just pointing a certain level of enthusiasm bordering on fanaticism for a inanimate object does tends to put some people off.

Probably worth stopping then eh? :D

Look, my first computer was a 386. I was building my own 12 months later, by the time the first pentium class came out, I was running a water cooled, peltier system, made with copper plumbing, a heater matrix from an old vauxhall astra and a pump out of a fish tank. I've run every operating system Microsoft have released since MS DOS and several versions of Linux. Anyone who can remember installing Windows 95 onto a blank HDD, can surely remember what a joke "plug & play" was back then, as well as what often was days spent trying to configure drivers for various expansion cards, but it didnt matter. Aside from several ipod's, my Iphone is the first apple product I have ever owned of any significance. I am about the furthest you can be from an apple fan boy, but I am most definitely a fan of the iphone, simply because it is a superb product. It would be much easier to make that point if someone else made the damned thing, but they didn't, apple made it and credit where it's due. The only fanboys are people who are so dug into their favourite trench, they refuse to open their eyes to anything else. If someone else makes a better phone, even a better copy, I'd probably buy one, but until they do, I'll stick with the iphone because it's an amazing piece of technology, that is silky smooth to operate and effortless in use.

Last edited:

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
I've got an iPhone fantastic phone no problems good backup system excellent after sales service nuff said regards dave

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The title of this thread Rik, is "Iphone, which one???". Reflect on that please.

You got a bad xmas rota or something? You are being a tad curt to put it politely.

Check out posts

Chill out mate.

Reflect on that chap.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com

Ho ho....

Hold the line please caller.....

I love forums for exactly this type of pavlovian behavior about something fundamentally trivial like ' which mobile phone'.

You might as well start a thread on which flavor vesta curry is best... Or paper clips give me your advice....

I have an iPhone 4 it's better than the Palm Treo it replaced and that was better than the Nokia I had before that...

I don't consider myself to be an Apple fan boy... But I do own 3 of their products the phone an iPad and a iPod.. All of them work well, do what I want and are nicely made.

Thats all I want from them.. Buying a phone is not a religious statement for 99.9% of folk ...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE