I owe the forum an explanation.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Theres been a thread or two recently, regarding people waiting for knives from me. I feel I owe an explanation as to why some have had to wait longer than they had any right to do.

As some of you may know, I developed type 1 diabetes a couple of years back, its caused me nothing but problems. Things are getting much better now, I can control it properly now, but I have been a real mess for the last 2 years. What has made it worse, was some tablets I was put on by the doc. Statins, for cholesterol. Turns out I was getting a lot of bad side effects from them ( thanks Clem for making me aware of how bad they can be) but all the side effects, mimic diabetic complications. Really high blood sugars, memory problems, loss of muscle mass, eyesight problems. It all boiled to head when after a prolonged period of high blood sugars which I couldn't control, I went down with diabetic ketoacidosis, and was taken to hospital in a diabetic coma, suffering from multiple organ failure. This was last year. And the road to recovery has been a long one. Its only since the beginning of this year that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel as it were, I was suffering from depression and axiety after it all, and really buried my head in the sand for a bit. It was the only way I could cope at that time. Its been hard.. trying to make knives, not knowing how you're gonna feel from one day to the next. One day you can feel fine, the next.. cant stop shaking and your eyesight goes blurry and wont settle down. I've tried to make knives while having a bad day, but only succeeded in filling the scrap bin or cutting myself. Its just wasn't worth the effort and cost of wasted materials.

Ive hardly left the house in a couple of years because of all this, which hasn't helped.. I've not been out shrafting in a long time. I have taken up fishing in the last few months though, which I feel has helped a lot. just getting out and about is making me feel better.

So for anyone waiting for anything from me, I offer my apologies. Your work will get done as I feel I'm over the worst of it all. I have my head in the right place now, and the motivation to sort this mess out.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Hope things are on the mend for you Mark, i know where you are coming from, i've been through the mill myself the past two years, including having to learn how to walk again.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Hope things are on the mend for you Mark, i know where you are coming from, i've been through the mill myself the past two years, including having to learn how to walk again.
Yeah, I know Mark. Glad to hear you're on the mend also. Thanks mate :)

You got round to any carvings lately?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Yeah, I know Mark. Glad to hear you're on the mend also. Thanks mate :)

You got round to any carvings lately?

Oh yes, carvings abound at the moment, doing a couple of spoons a day at present, good exercise for arms, hands and mind, just got to get my legs working properly and then i shall be away, i think my legs will get better once this cold, damp weather disappears.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Oh yes, carvings abound at the moment, doing a couple of spoons a day at present, good exercise for arms, hands and mind, just got to get my legs working properly and then i shall be away, i think my legs will get better once this cold, damp weather disappears.
Yeah, its been a miserable winter. The fishings been hard too. I reckon once this cold front that's coming is out of the way, Spring can kick in properly and we'll all be happier for it. Saying that, its been feeling very spring like the last few days. The dawn chorus has changed, mating season is here, the ramsons are up. It's all good :)

Glad youre keeping busy mate. You work well with wood.

Reactions: Nice65 and Kepis

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I wish you well Mark.

I've been in a similar situation and know just how hard it it to push yourself to the bear minimum to look after yourself let alone attempt anything beyond that.

You're seeing a light at the tunnel and by the sounds of it it's not an oncoming train so fingers crossed you continue to recover.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I wish you well Mark.

I've been in a similar situation and know just how hard it it to push yourself to the bear minimum to look after yourself let alone attempt anything beyond that.

You're seeing a light at the tunnel and by the sounds of it it's not an oncoming train so fingers crossed you continue to recover.
Lol, cheers Steve. If it is a train, it better move out of the damn way!

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
As one of your customers who has been waiting over a 12 month, I'm pleased that you have felt able to come on the forums and explain things.
I wish you nothing but the best for the future and your recovery.

However I hope you appreciate that this is too little too late for me.
Please can you confirm as a show of good faith that you will cancel my order and refund me fully.

I understand we have been discussing this privately and things became heated. But you have to appreciate that although you are part way through making my knife it is not special or personal enough to prevent you from selling it on. It is after all one of your own knife designs in premium materials.

Please understand having waited so long and put up with so many broken promises, no matter how good it is, it will be forever tainted for me.

I know you do excellent work and know that whoever finally owns it when completed will not be dissappointed but it really is no good to me now.

So I ask again.
Please can you confirm here and now in public that my order is cancelled and I can have a full refund.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Best wishes Mark. I've had my own battles with depression and anxiety over the years, some I've won and some I've lost, but currently the war's going well for me, I hope that yours is too.

All the best,

Stuart.

Reactions: HillBill

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
You're seeing a light at the tunnel and by the sounds of it it's not an oncoming train

Brilliant :D

:lmao:

Glad to hear you're making progress, I hope it continues. I'm no stranger to long term medical problems myself having had lymphoma and suffered damage to major bones from heavy chemo and working too hard as a tree surgeon. One bone graft and one titanium hip later I found myself in a "what just happened?" situation and life hasn't been easy since. It hasn't prevented me being an annoying gobshite on the forums though, nor should it you. Bit of damage repair will serve you well. :)

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I knew Mark would come good in the end, sounds like you have been to hell and back and im sure anyone waiting on a MH knife will be more than willing to wait just a little longer until your sorted, hope your back on your feet asap big hug mate.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'm very pleased to hear that you've turned a corner and that things seem to be going your way at last. I for one have had a fruitful relationship with you over time and I hope we'll see you back to your best soon :)

Dreadhead

Glad to hear you're on the mend Mark, many people don't realise that there's no sick pay waiting for self employed craftsmen when health takes a turn for the worse. Also good to see you back on the forum. Mend up and hopefully we will start seeing more of your work again :)

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Well done for coming on and explaining things, and its nice to know that your health is getting more manageable, its a pity it took you so long to explain to your many customers the reasons for the delays, because if they looked at your facebook page or seen you on EM, they would never have known, you seem to have had quite a few knives up for sale since Jan 17, so why dont you give Ken his money back , and at least make one of your customers happy.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm glad to see you back and I wish the best of luck with your health. I too have both diabetes and high blood pressure (as well as high cholesterol) It's a real b**ch when your meds conflict with each other. Getting old ain't for sissies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE