I like Hammocks.

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
This new top does up right to my nose.

I like this thing.

a-dsc01315.jpg

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
The top is fixed on on both sides with velcro.

Lying here, I think that was a mistake.

I only need velcro on one side.

a-dsc01316.jpg

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
This is the velcro join.

When its stuck together straight, its draft proof. It does leak if you get it wrong.

The ends need sorting out as I have a gap at the end and its funneling cold air down onto my toes.

a-dsc01318.jpg

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
This shows the length that came apart.

I need a piece over the end, with the top under it.

Ive not quite fgot it the right shape.

Its still pretty good though

a-dsc01325.jpg

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
It got down to -2 C

The windchill was at -4.

My feet got cold and there was a cold line along the velcro seam on one side.

Need to get some insulation behind the velcro.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
THe wind kept thrashing the tarp against me.

The noise was something else.

Need some weights tied to the corners to keep it under control.

Wasnt going to get out and try to deal with it in that storm though.

a-dsc01326.jpg

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
No water came down the ropes.

All in all, a good test.

A couple of bits need fixing, but I am getting to where I want to be.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Oh...

I forgot.

I spent the night in jeans and short sleeved shirt in the hammock.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hey No Idea, thought this link might be appropriate to what you're doing, you might be able to pinch the idea to apply it to your own insulation-thingy you have going on. As I understand the footend is stiched to the shape of the hammock (triangle cut basicly isnt it) and the head end is rectangular but has a cinched cord with a cordlock to close it once pulled over you.

I tried something similar with my poncho last time I was out but had the same prblem as you - a draught around my feet.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Hello Highbinder

Hadnt thought of using a poncho.

I carry emergency thin ones in my pack, but to date havent even taken one out.

That link looks useful. I had a good look, but didnt understand. Need to think about it for a day or two and see if it sinks in.

I sort of think I need a sewn on triangle at both ends, with the lid coming out underneath.

Not happy with the shape of the lid either.

It sort of works but it needs a complete rethink.

Not sure I can explain why.

The lid needs sewing on on one side instead of velcro, as that would make it lighter and cut down on heat loss a bit more.

If I get it right, I think it would probably be useable without the tarp or net in reasonable weather.

That would save more weight....

Need to think about this.....

One of the kids has just finished sawing up his rudder in the middle of the kitchen and started drilling holes in it, the other is whinging about the rain ruining his new fibreglass that he did yesterday. Somehow it didnt dry......

Could be some time before its next quiet enough for me to do some thinking.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
In practise the poncho was too short. It covered my feet and up to my chest but no further. If I could put it over the ridgeline on the diagonal it'd be long enough but then I would have no way of fastening the edges shut to stop a draft. Maybe I could add velcro to the edges?

After reading that link what I'm planning on trying to make my own version up. This is how I've broken it down in my head:

- If I take a rectangular piece of nylon, drape it equally over the hammock ridgeline so that both sides drop down just below the hammock, in effect like this |____|
- For the foot end cut the corner off (triangle piece) so it follows the shape of the hammock better, so it looks like this \___|
- Stitch the foot end and the bottom length shut, leaving a small hole to allow the suspension to go through at the foot end
- At the uncut (head) end fold over the tip to stitch a channel and then thread some bungie cord through with a cord lock on either end so I can pull it tight over the head end once I'm in.

I wa going to make it out of nylon so it wouldn't be waterproof, more just to stop the windchill and help keep the ambient temperature within higher, but I gues you could make the top section (leaving the bottom bit breathable to stop moisture building up) waterproof and use it without a tarp.

The other version I saw (can't find the link) differed in that it used one side as a giant flap. So the main section went from the ridgeline around the hammock tight, kinda like \___/ , but the other side was just squared of |___| and acted like a big flap you lifted up over the ridgeline to get in and dropped back down once inside. That design required a lot more sewing to get the shape to mimic the hammock which is why I gave it a miss - never used a sewing machine in my puff.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Sorry Highbinder

Missed your post.

Sewing machines.

I always thought of them as womans stuff and wouldnt touch them.

However, one day it occurred to me that they join panels together, so I started thinking of them as a welding machine, with string, and havent been without one since.

Using one....

No point using girly thread as it snaps.

I got a huge cone of sailmaking thread. Its waxed so it doesnt let water through the holes it makes.

Threading the machine is a pig. When you get one, get whoever you buy it off to coach you until you learn how to thread it.

You really need to learn how to do this and each machine is different.

It uses thread from the top from the cone and has another store of thread on a bobin that lives under it.

Make sure the previous owner teaches you how to spin thread on the bobin and how to get it back in.

This is important as even if you put the bobin in upside down, it doesnt work.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Feet. THe machine has sets of feet for different things.

Ive no idea why. I just use the strongest one I can find and forget about the rest.

Tension.

THe machines have an adjuster on the front that changes where the cossover from the stitches it makes end up.

When you fidget with it, you soon learn what it needs. Thsi also varies with different threads. Mine doesnt because I sew everything with the one thread because that way it works.

Cloth, tarp, whatever you are going to sew.

I look at this stuff as flexible sheets of plastic.
You can draw your lines on it like plywood - just dont let it move.
Then you can bend the edges over like tin and stitch it.

When sewing, just do an inch at a time as it can all move otherwise.

Dont try to get teh needle to go through more than about 6 layers of cloth. It will usually break.

Keep a good supply of needles in. I use the strongest ones I can find. - usuallly 100s heavy duty. Ive currently got 7 boxes with 5 in each so I dont have to get upset each time I smash one.

Dont drag the material through the machine as this breaks needles too.

I usually use a zigzag stitch as this gives a bit and doesnt snap.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Thinking about your shell...

How about using waterproof on the top and nylon on the bottom?

Gotta go feed the kids.

Later....

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
How about using waterproof on the top and nylon on the bottom?

Exactly what I was thinking. As long as its breathable enough to stop your breath condensing (which was the problem I had with bivvy bags, eww waking up all soggy) I'd think it'd be fine in all but heavy rain. Only prblem I could see is the rain would come down off the waterproof and then run off off the breathable bottom and if the bottom was tight against your underquilt or hammock it might soak through. Guess as longas theres a bit of a gap between the underquilt and the base of the sock you'd be fine.

Going to order some material when I get paid and have a go

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Hi Highbinder

Im not sure thats going to work.

You are 9/10ths water.
You breathe in.
The breath in you gets in ocntact with the wet sides of your lungs and tubes.
You breathe it out.

The air you breathe out is warm and slightly damp.

If it gets to condense on anything, you will get a puddle.

You need to make sure there is enough air flow past you to stop it condensing.

If you pull material over your head thats waterproof, breatheable or not, it will most likely get wet.

My guess is that to make it work, you would need to have the cover over your hammock separate to the cover over your face.

Ive cocooned my body in insulation ot keep it warm, with an openable side in case I get too hot - which would make me leak more water into my bedding, and then made a channel above it with netting to give my breath somewhere to dissipate without soaking everything.

I think that pull up sock thing will only work if you split it with one side covering from your feet to your neck and the other side over your head and enough over your chest to stop the water getting in - maybe with a little netting to stop wind and rain.

When listening to what I am saying, please remember that Im not an expert on this stuff.

Hang on I will do a scribble....

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
The dark green would be the sock from one end, and the light green would be the sock from the other end, with the netting to keep the rain out in the middle.

It would probably need an extra line to keep the light green sock off your face.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE