I just wondered how many of you........

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The toilet cistern contains water enough for a couple of days for one person.

In UK/ Ireland where it rains- maybe a barell to collect rainwater from the roof?
Boiling for a few minutes will make it usable

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I imagine Gaudette is talking for the majority of members here that are UK based. Many of these things are area specific so most of the advice from overseas isn't going to assist.

Yeah y'all don't have hurricanes or forest fires yet (though we'll see just how real "climate change" is in time) But the stocking for a few weeks is good advice for almost any type natural disaster (I remember reading of flooding in the UK not that long ago)

My old housemate rest his soul used to keep an extra month of grub.
Not for the zombie apocalypse but because he was self employed and it was part of his safety net incase he was unwell or there was no work available and he couldnt afford any shopping for a while. A month he figured would give him enough security to find some work
Its not a bad thing perse to have some back up storage can be a challenge at times im sure

It's a good idea in that circumstance - like pre spending your savings on what you'll need so you don't 'accidently' buy something else. :D

He was a clever chap.
He wouldnt of starved i'd of covered him
He also kept a months rent money aside and had a stock of baccy too. He never needed it but it kept him free from stressing about it.

Yeah having a small amount of savings is always a good idea. Most advice here for "prepping" for the chance of losing a job is to try ti have at least months income in reserve (apart from long term investments and savings)

Speaking of cash, it's good to remember that if the electricity is down, then so are the ATMs, Credit/Debit card readers, etc. Even if the shops are still open they'll likely only be able to process cash sales in that case.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Our grocery store runs the cash registers on a backup battery/inverter system. The only sensible plan. Otherwise, they can't even get the cash drawers to open!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Our grocery store runs the cash registers on a backup battery/inverter system. The only sensible plan. Otherwise, they can't even get the cash drawers to open!

Yeah, you're right. Most here have a back-up power system too for the lights and registers as well as the coolers/freezers. I guess it's the overfilled communications clogging the comm lines? In any case, most only take cash until full power is restored.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My household back up (1.2kW) is good for 500W for 8 hours.
LED lights suck so little power that the inverter doesn't even notice a couple of them.
My neighbors know that they can stay warm in winter in my house.

Combined hotwater tank and toilet cisterns, I've got maybe 50gal.

When the wildfire burnt the line some years back, somebody even stole the gen set from the police station!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE