I have met the enemy......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
True, true :sigh: and have the poor wee beggars breeding all year round and living in concrete trees instead of the reality of the weather.

Might add value though if they could be claimed to be "wild caught", like wild gathered fungi :dunno:

cheers,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I reckon that with a bit of subtle publicity we could really put a huge dent in the grey squirrel population.

We need to do the same for quite a bit around here - I've never seen such huge flocks of wood pigeon, rabbits and Roe as I have this last year. Be great to see more of it put to use. The new game prep laws have precluded most re-sale sadly - so a few shots eat their own but most are precluded from selling what they shot. Sadly if they could sell, the meat would not be wasted and the population better managed :(

Another example of "unintended consequences" I suspect

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I would like to be able to hunt grey squirrels, to help keep the population down and to eat them. However, with nothing to actually hunt them with.. I guess it will stay on the 'I wish I could.. ' list .. ;) I wonder how easy it is to hunt them round this way, with the ever increasingly bureaucratic hunting laws and required red tape..

OldFingersGreen

Forager
Jan 30, 2009
Manchester
'Pan fried' is one of those daft, meaningless, phrases used to make something sound sumptuous by cooks (or should that be 'chefs'?). I mean, what else do you fry things in?
It's a bit like when you see that development of new homes advertised as 'architecturally designed', as if other buildings were done by the local butcher.

deep fat fryer, hot plate, on a piece of steel on a fire? ;)

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I would like to be able to hunt grey squirrels, to help keep the population down and to eat them. However, with nothing to actually hunt them with.. I guess it will stay on the 'I wish I could.. ' list .. ;) I wonder how easy it is to hunt them round this way, with the ever increasingly bureaucratic hunting laws and required red tape..

Call yerself a bushcrafter? ;) :D Sling, slingshot, stonebow, snare, deadfall are all improvisable partially or completely in nature and are currently legal for taking greys. Landowners' permission on the other hand is a different kettle of fish...

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire

Don't matter what ya got squizzers ain't never easy . Well, blasting dreys with a 12 bore being the one exception.

The Gov have a bounty on them too.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
We had "just the one" a few years back to see what it would taste like, even the little one tried and enjoyed it, next time it will need a few extra bodies chucked into the mix though.

I remember being shown how to prep one by British Red on a meet up, and someone commented "is that a tick", no said Red, i"t's a boy" ;)

Really should have done the tutorial when we were all sober though, 14 around a camp-fire in the dark and a few sheets to the wind is not the best way to learn.

:You_Rock_

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Don't matter what ya got squizzers ain't never easy . Well, blasting dreys with a 12 bore being the one exception.

The Gov have a bounty on them too.

They do? I knew there was talk about one, but as far as I was aware it never happened. Ya got a link so I can read up on it ? Would be interesting reading I think.

Cheers!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Theres a couple here, not searched much though, these just seem to be about wales. I have seen bbc ones for scotland. Can't find too much for the UK though. May not do it anymore, not sure. I know it has been on and off for nearly a century. Kind of weird situation. The same people who wanted the red squirrels back and the greys controlled are the same ones who opposed the bounty. They seem to think that the odd person can go around and do it. Not a bloody chance. I have never shot more than 4 in a day, they aint daft they play with you.

http://www.berwickshire-news.co.uk/news/Outrage-at-squirrel-bounty-hunters.1563310.jp

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/454114.stm

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I reckon that with a bit of subtle publicity we could really put a huge dent in the grey squirrel population.

We simply get a couple of tv chefs and posh restaurants who cater to the 'Meedja' to serve squirrel and lapin as the truly tasty lean meat they are. Great for protein but so low in fat that you could starve on them :rolleyes:
We know it's really the effort to catch them that causes it, but it's a catchy slogan.

I think if folks thought it the latest stay slim fad they'd pay to munch the blighters into oblivion.

cheers,
Toddy

There is already a butchers in Shropshire that sell them - hasn't exactly taken off though. Maybe we need to get Jamie on to it :)

Cheers,

Broch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE