"I don't need one of these" (repeat until temptation passes)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I like it too. Ive always liked mopeds but have no time for scooters.

My friend had a Fizzie, I was always so jelous of her.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
In my early years (16 - 23ish) I rode a Honda Amigo moped. You had the option of using the motor, pedalling or on steep hills - both!
It was not really up to life in Wales so I ended up getting real motorbikes (Superdream, Yam Classic) until the need for towing capability hit me along with the Open Canoe bug ... and I have had vans ever since.
That old Moped took me everywhere!
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=h...com%2Fsuper2%2Fhondapower%2Fhonda.htm;580;382

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Don't drool. If u want one build your own customized how u want it

Get yourself an old mountain bike preferably one with a solid frame a normal triangular front section where the rear suspension attaches to the back of the saddle stem. Then go on eBay and get a "bicyle engine kit" and fit it, the instructions are self explanatory. The rear carrier. You can then have built to you own spec along.with side carriers

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Ohhh dammit why did I have to on eBay and have a look. Have you seen those prices?!!!! For a complete kit it's looking very attractive. Same the engine's not a 4 stroke though.

Thanks for that info. VERY tempted now.

Don't drool. If u want one build your own customized how u want it

Get yourself an old mountain bike preferably one with a solid frame a normal triangular front section where the rear suspension attaches to the back of the saddle stem. Then go on eBay and get a "bicyle engine kit" and fit it, the instructions are self explanatory. The rear carrier. You can then have built to you own spec along.with side carriers

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
They are cheap. I'm surprised. That's cheap motoring, whichever way you look at it.
Would such a thing need an MOT?
I've been out of the loop on building motorbikes for a while now, and forget.
I seem to remember you can get a daylight only MOT, so it doesn't need lights. Brakes would be what concerns me. Would it pass a brake test?
The other thing is, would it have to be registered, to get number plates?
I guess it may depend on the CC, or top speed.
Not being pedantic or anything. I'm not beyond turning the engine off and pedalling to go past the cop shop......

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
To be honest I don't know but seriously doubt they are road legal
I've never had a problem but then if I'm near a cop I kill the engine knock the kill switch and pedal like ell. So far I've only.been stopped once and I told cop I'd just bought it that day and the engine was a nail
But these mod's have been around a long time in the UK. I've seen old Raleigh racers with 2 stroke lawn mower engines on them there's a guy not far from me who has the same setup

BTW the engine kits are around 70 quid. Old mtb 40 quid equals 110 quid
I would imagine the Motoped designs probably cost upwards of 500
But I can't see any reason why one couldn't mount a 4 stroke engine

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
Hmmm, I'd probably risk it too. Not that I actually need that sort of thing, and would never use it, but.
Looking round the web, if it's less than 50cc, and capable of no more than 30mph, then it's classed as a moped. It would need an SVA, which it has zero chance of getting. Without that, can't get MOT tax or insurance.
If its bigger engine and faster, it's into Motor bicycle territory. Same thing, still needs an SVA to register it.
Only difference is the licence category required to ride it.
Now if you happened to take the chain off while on the highway, and put it back on for offroad use, or Zombie apocalypse, I can't see there would be an issue. The fact that the engine is attached to the frame, and not in a box on the back, shouldn't make much difference, if it's not functional.
Dunno if I'd want to explain that to a magistrate though.

Obviously, taking the chain off would mean you can't pedal it............

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Why not go for an electric bike?
Because the stupid regulations restrict electric bikes to a (powered) top speed of 15mph on the road.

You can get some bloody powerful motors on off road bikes, perfectly capable of 40mph. Doesn't sound like much to a petrolhead, I'm sure, but that's fast off-road and plenty fast enough to outrun a zombie or two.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The middle one reminds me of the old British Army Husqvarna dispatch rider bike, always wanted one of those. Nice looking machines those, the last ones reminiscent of an old café racer.

wandering1

Nomad
Aug 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Well I spoke to my scoobie last nite mountain bikes modified with engines by law cannot be used on the road or on public paths towpaths bridleways etc however on private land it don't.matter... (but I kinda figured that anyhow)

There are full electric mopeds on the market that can top 60mph but they cost a fortune (seen one or two about )

Brynglas

You don't need a motor! I've got one of these..
0ab49264ddfc2d48d69a88ad69508347.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE