I can't get wood.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
Tried everthing and spent ages on the internet and still nothing. My old chopper needs good wood and frankly all I can manage is soft. The thought of spending hours rubbing a soft shaft regardless of the attention to detail involved is not going to make it hard.

I've been after a length of Ash to make two axe handles having been talked into giving it a go at the last Bushcraft meet. I know there is an old caveman trick of turning most wood into ash but it's not the same thing.

It appears the local wood turner in my area has over night bought up Warwickshire's stock pile of Ash and he is busy whittling it in order to fill an untapped market crying out for Rocking Horse Sh.t.

Anyway as an alternative to Ash is there any other wood more readily available I can use to make 2 small hatchet handles.

Please don't suggest Hickery as this has been sold previously to the as forementioned Wood Turner to supply the local donkey sanctuary with dentures....Apparently.

Thank you.

Last edited:

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
har har, hehe harhar de har.

Oh as for a sensible response, sorry im in the same boat - although i find keeping an eye on where the Wildlife Trust are doing management is a good way of pilfering bits (with permission of course). Actually they are usually very nice and helpful.
Local tree surgeons (i thin they prefer arboraculturalists now though).
i do know of some places but im afraid nowhere near you.
I do have 2 axe blanks in the back of the car though drying away so very much in the same boat!
Good luck, keeping eyes peeled seems to be the key.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Shame your so far away. I just found loads just lying there but along way to come and fetch it
Banks.jpg

NiceAsh.jpg

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Worst case, you can buy kiln-dried dimensional ash from a lumber yard. Also, many hammer and pickaxe handles are hickory or ash.

dkabat579

Jan 24, 2010
New York, USA
I always knew I had a 5-year-old's sense of humor but I'm surprise at how much I snickered at your title. I don't know about its availability but I've used black locust for a number of axe/tool handles and it's worked out pretty well. According to some sources I've seen it has almost the shock resistance of hickory, plus its very solid and has excellent decay resistance. We don't get much ash or hickory in my area but black locust trees seem a time a dozen.

The other thing is that, if you just sort of drive a day or two around after a storm with heavy winds, you can find fallen trees all over the place and people will literally beg you to take logs of it off their lawns. We had one of those about a month ago and I've got a basement filled with locust, birch, maple and spruce logs all gotten for free.

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
I wish you'd change the title of this thread. So far I've resisted all of my childish impulses to reply :D

Honestly I never intended this thread to anything other than for getting some info to help a guy bashing away by himself; trying to get a good tool that will not fold with heavy handling and when in company won't prematurely shoot off leaving a messy axe wound behind.

Right then best option so far is eye open for wind fall then.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Depends how far you're prepared to travel for it.

I have a little pile of felled ash (Oct last year). You'd be welcome to a piece or two but I'm the other side of Shrewsbury from you.

The reality is I suspect the cost of shipping or travel just outweigh the value.

Cheers,

Broch

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Honestly I never intended this thread to anything other than for getting some info to help a guy bashing away by himself; trying to get a good tool that will not fold with heavy handling and when in company won't prematurely shoot off leaving a messy axe wound behind.

Right then best option so far is eye open for wind fall then.

You bad bad man :lmao:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If you were closer you could fell your own. I burned an 8' tall pile of ash, elder and blackthorn today

Kept all the big bits but logged them into 2' lengths which I guess is too short for you

If you are going to be in South Lincs give me a pm and bring a saw!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE