I am complete and utter fool.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
never mind, lesson learnt although, where was your first aid kit? You should always carry at least one large wound dressing, I carry military issue F.F.D's ( first field dressings) as well as a fairly comprehensive, though compact first aid kit.

I once spent spent half an hour trying to stop a wound from a cheap folding saw, bleeding profusely. I was at the bottom of a gully and had a bit of a struggle getting out again.:rolleyes:

The bracket fungus, is birch polypore or razor strop fungus, although thats a rather manky specimen.
great for processing, for insect repellent smudge sticks, ember extender for flint and steel or friction fire lighting and of course; making a strop for your knife.
best wishes, and sort out a first aid kit for when ever you are using edged tools;)
R.B.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
a couple of years ago i stabbed myself in the groin with a gerber multi tool, i managed to cut into (but fortunately not through) my femural artery. blood spurted about 12 feet in the air and completely soaked all of my clothing in the time it took me to drop my trousers and have a look to see what was happening. i lost quite a lot of blood and went into shock. luckily i'd shouted loud enough for someone to hear me and come running pretty quickly, not sure what would've happened otherwise, i honestly don't think i'd be telling you about it if they hadn't though. paramedics took me to hospital where i was glued back together and sent home again.

it was all my fault, all of it. pick any of the simple rules of knife use, i broke them all and nearly paid dearly.

don't feel bad dude, we're all stupid in our own way, and we're all old enough and ugly enough to know better, but we all still get hurt all the bleedin' time. it's the nature of things.

hope you heal soon, try not to pick it!

stuart

Dirty Karlos

Forager
Oct 16, 2007
Hull
www.karlholtby.com
My word! sorry to hear that. I didn't think this would be such a dangerous hobby after mountain biking and kick-boxing. Caution to be taken at all times and engage brain!!!
In fact I'm a bit put off, sure I'll be alright in a day or two though.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
in all fairness mate my injury was nothing at all to do with bushcraft, i was cutting carpet!
please don't be put off, it's much nicer in the bush!

stuart

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
I had an accident whilst using my axe.................on my honeymoon.............nightmare at the time, thankfully medical insurance picked it all up. I learned a lot from my mishap and fortunately only have a large scar on my foot ( and story!!) left from it. Schoolboy error!!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
in all fairness mate my injury was nothing at all to do with bushcraft, i was cutting carpet!
please don't be put off, it's much nicer in the bush!

stuart

Jeez Stuart that's cracker.

But mind you most of my cuts have been from working in the home,hut or workplace when I think about it.
Probably am more careful when out,but still can happen to the best of us anywhere.

I always have at least an antiseptic wipe,plasters and steri-strip in my ciggie case (with cigs of course:eek: ).

Jan 22, 2006
uk
hope that thumb heals well, got a good'n for you:

when you're out, look for yarrow, apparently its a bit of a miracle plant for stopping bleeding (look it up as a hemostatic).

I've been lucky and never needed any but Ive read that once prep'd (one to research) its best used as a powder an dropped on the bleeding.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarrow

I heard that it was an offence for Roman soldiers to not carry any...says it all!

one other thing, if there's big ants nests in the area i'd think twice about camping on the ground. I built a shelter in some woods near Canterbury a few years ago and was only in it for a few minutes as it was too small....i had seen 1meter sized nests in the area. I must have had 500 bites on my back that made the next few days pretty uncomfortable.

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
Bad luck fella.

It will always be in the back of your mind and will constantly remind you to be cautious with sharps.

I am sure it will heal up OK in time.

Remember what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Stewey.:D

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
I feel your pain - oh no, that's my pain - I managed to put a deep slice into my thumb last night while sharpening a draw knife. When I worked at a shopfitters I put a chisel into the thumb joint on my left hand, how I missed all the important stuff I'll never know!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You know what - life is inherently dangerous - and bushcraft doubly so. Thats a good thing not a bad thing. Life all sanitised and safe as so many of the "cuddly wuddly" brigade would have us live would be shorn of all spice and interest. Indeed part of the interest in sharps is being part of a more primitive and somehow more real life.

You got cut and you lived and learned (at least to buy a good FAK). Excellent. So you learned something from the bad as well as the good. Thats real life and living it to the full.

We've all done it - (they don't call me Frodo for nothing :eek: ). Welcome to the club - the entrance fee is "blood sacrifice" :D . Bet you don't want to throw your knife away though do you?

Red

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Get this for gross.
I opened a can of corned beef and as I pulled the two halves of the can apart my thumb slipped and was sliced on the sharp edge of the can totally removing all the flesh on the pad of my thumb!
That bloody hurt.

Dirty Karlos

Forager
Oct 16, 2007
Hull
www.karlholtby.com
Been prodded and poked to death today (ok slight exaggeration), been to two hospitals, second one to see a plastic surgeon to decide if a skin graft is needed. Anyhow they've decided to let nature take it's cause and simply (painfully) re-dressed what's left of me thumb.
Thanks for the replies and everything.
Has this put me off bushcraft? nah, though it has given me a very healthy respect for sharp things and I feel that I will be more cautious in every aspect of life from now on. I've had broken bones and many other injuries (from mountain biking & kick-boxing) over the years but none have been as traumatic as seeing part of my thumb fall off, I keep picturing it. I'm sure I'll be ok in a couple of days.
Thanks again for your comments.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Get this for gross.
I opened a can of corned beef and as I pulled the two halves of the can apart my thumb slipped and was sliced on the sharp edge of the can totally removing all the flesh on the pad of my thumb!
That bloody hurt.

But did you still eat the corned beef? :D

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Mate I have a largeish scar on my thumb from an axe incident, had to have the tendon reattached. I am now much more careful with the axes I have, the way I look at it is you got away with it, learn from it. I am sure there are a lot of cases of people not getting a second chance.
Hope you hand heals really fast, Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE