I am beginning to like big knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DavidEnoch

Feb 22, 2007
Dallas, Texas USA
I am beginning to become a fan of big knives. I first learned about "Bushcraft" from doing research for hatchets. I now have several hatchets that I like. Then, from reading the Bushcraft forums, a found out about the Mora knives. I like them very well for general light duty camp work. My last foray has been into the larger knives. My favorite has been an 18' Khukri that was made in India. The disadvantage of such a big knife is that it is as heavy as my largest hatchet. But I have found the Khukri to be very good for a lot of bushy things.

One thing I like a Khukri for better than a hatchet or smaller knife is for cutting poles and stakes for a shelter. I normally use only dead materials. Shelter sized poles are pretty springy and give a lot when hit by a hatchet. But, with a Khukri, you just swing through the pole. You also don't have to be as precise with your swing with a long knife as you do a hatchet. A short swing with a hatchet may be dangerous to you and an overswing my damage your hatchet handle. I hatchet is a better splitter but the Khukri isn't bad.

I did an experiment last summer. I found a downed tree that was about 12" at the base and 4" at the branching. The tree was about 40' long. I had three hatchets, a Norlund hatchet with a one pound head, a "Trapper's Hatchet with a total weight of about 1 pound, and a BRKT Mini Axe which is another small axe with a total weight of about one pound, and lastly my 18" Khukri. I would completely cut through the trunk with one tool, move down about 16" and cut through with the next and so on, all the way down the truck and branches. The Norlund was clearly the champ for cutting though the trunk. Every chop bit deeply without much work from me. The Trapper's Hatchet bit well and did a surprisingly good job. The BRKT was a big disappointment . It didn't bite nearly as well as the similarly sized Trapper's Hatchet. The Khukri was probably second to the Norlund in chopping but took more work to swing it. When I got to the limbs though, the Khukri was the clear winner. It lopped off springy limbs easily and much more safely than any of the hatchets. I then started splitting up all the trunk sections of the tree. The Norlund was the best splitter. The small hatchets and Khukri were about the same as splitters. One advantage of the Khukri is that part of the blade stuck out past the other side of the trunk and you could baton the knife directly. With the axes, I had to take small limbs and use them with the baton to push the hatchets deeper than flush with the surface.
I also used the different tools to make small kindling, stakes, and other thinks like I would if I were camping. What really impressed me was how much easier it was to do these chores with the Khukri than it was with the hatchets.

I am re-grinding a 12" India made Khukri now. It still had the 1/4" thick backbone but is much lighter than the 18" model. I am grinding the area closest to the handle to a much more fine bevel for "knife work". I am leaving the curved section of the blade at a more axe like bevel, and I am going to thin out the bevel on the end of the blade to see if by choking up on the blade, I could use that portion of the blade for skinning type task. I am hoping that this blade will work out. My hope is that with this Khukri and a multi-tool knife blade, my bushcraft chores will be covered well.

I will have to say that a saw will do a lot of things easier than either an axe or a Khukri.

David Enoch

Boston973

Feb 3, 2009
Mass
While i was in thailand I and most other in my company perchased some really cheaply made but awsome Kukri's. The big draw was that the Thai soldies that were training us were all using them so we figured they must be the best.

I got two. One i put in my assoult pack and the other i wore on my hip. I figured they were junk so i would need a backup. I beat the crap out of that thing and it was awsome. They ended up lasting me a year until i sold it to a freand.

Shortly after I purchased a kabar kukri, wich is really awsome. But I have to say that for some reasone they seemed way more effective in a jungle enviorments like hawaii or thailand. When i used it in the states it just does not bite the same. Of course i am not in shape like i used to be so it could be that.

For me I sapose it just depends on the enviorment I am goin to be in.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
David,
I've recently become the owner of large Kukri, I had intended doing some modifications to it but find that it is pretty good as it stands. I'd like to see some photos if you have them of your modified 12", but I doubt I'll do anything drastic to mine soon.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
After wanting a kukri for a long time, a trip to Nepal last summer was the perfect opportunity to get one. We ended up getting them from the garrison PRI shop in Kathmandu amazingly cheap. I haven't had a chance to use it properly yet, but it's nice. My only concern is the scabbard as it seems quite flimsy. Has anybody else had this problem and what have they done about it? I haven't found any commercial scabbards anywhere.

Cheers,
Claudiasboris

pwb

I bought a couple of Kukris years ago.
They are good tools,one I used a few times but I find I now prefer a hatchet. My brother used the other one quite a bit while serving as a Royal Marine and It was heavily modified.
My brother didn't like the handle so I put on a wooden one, made from the end of an old axe haft and also blackened the blade.

DSC01606Small.jpg

My only concern is the scabbard as it seems quite flimsy. Has anybody else had this problem and what have they done about it? I haven't found any commercial scabbards anywhere.

As far as sheath modifications all I did was make a cover from DPM material with a canvas tip the original sheaths are quite robust wood covered with leather.

DSC01608Small.jpg

Cheers,
Pete.

DavidEnoch

Feb 22, 2007
Dallas, Texas USA
Puub, I really like the new handle. I want to do something like that on my 12".

Saturday, I got the the basic grinding done. The first two or three inches from the handle were ground to a flat bevel all the way to the top of the blade. That is still a pretty thick bevel and is really still too think to replace a thinner knife. I could hollow grind a little to make it still thinner which would help with sharpening stakes and whittling but I don't like hollow grinds very much. I tried chopping with the stock bevel on the chopping portion of the blade and find that it is too blunt of an edge for the light weight of the 12" blade. I will have to grind down the chopping edge some as well.

As for a scabbard, for my 18" model, I made a Kydex sheath. Here is a picture of it:

111-1116_IMG.jpg

I left the bottom square since I figure it will be in a pocket of a pack or strapped to a pack most of the time.

David Enoch

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Seeing some great ideas here, really enjoying the thread.
From my point of view, the handle on mine is very secure, its the two opposed cones with central collar design. I find it sits firmly in my grip and the collar locks into the gap between middle and third finger. I can understand that it wouldn't suit everybody, but for now, it feels good for me.

I'll whack up the write up I did for BB......

ATB

Ogri the trog

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Wow, nice mods on both knives. Thanks for the advice. I think I might copy the paracord idea seeing as my woodworking isn't so great!

When I got my knife I was advised to wrap DPM tape around the scabbard to make it more tactical. I guess that either'd do the job but the fabric one would be more undo-able.

Cheers,
Claudiasboris

pwb

When I got my knife I was advised to wrap DPM tape around the scabbard to make it more tactical. I guess that either'd do the job but the fabric one would be more undo-able.

Here's another version, this time using canvas from an issue kit bag and a re-made belt loop following the original design.

DSC01808Small.jpg

Just looked at your British Blades write up Ogri , good stuff :) .

Pete.

pwb

Boston973

Feb 3, 2009
Mass
Very nice. Personally i never like the wooden sheaths and kidex alwase feels strange to me. My newest Kukri came with a great sheath here are a few pics.

IMG_0489.jpg

IMG_0485.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

madcow

Feb 19, 2009
Netherlands
While I like the Kukri, I find that i can the same and more with a small axe.

But it's just a matter of personal preference.

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Nice collection of sharp stuff there, Boston!

I agree: I don't like the trad scabbards. I don't mind kydex but it's always a struggle to get the blade out (or maybe it's just me). I'd like to make a cordura scabbard but have only vague ideas of how to and can envisage all sorts of problems (can my GF's sewing machine cope with 1000d cordura?).

Claudiasboris

madcow

Feb 19, 2009
Netherlands
I think that the machine will cope with it but if the needle will is an other question. There are leather needles for sewing machine too. Or at least stronger needles

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
As a now dedicated kukri user I was rather amused that the chap on the USA link assumed that the blade was cursed if the blacksmith had prayed over it! How sad that he could not accept that the smith was putting his heart and soul into the job.

http://www.survivalprimer.com/KukriService/Kukri_Handle_Shape_Best.htm

I use the kukri house suripate and have remade the sheath in a similar manner to the churi sheath I have posted pics of. The suripate has a longer straighter blade so does most of the things that people are trying to achive without the need of large mods.

Sandsnakes

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I have a kukri that I picked up about a year ago. It has a wooden sheath that is covered in black leather, tipped in brass. the belt attachment is loose fit and will drop off the bottom of the sheath if it is not suspended on your belt. The blade measures about 12 1/2 inches along the top of the spine and has a total length of 18 inches. Many people complain about the sheath quality particularly the leather, but mine seems to be very well made. I have also heard / read many complaints about the handle, particularly, the raised band in the center of the handle. I have to agree with Ogi the trog in his post regarding the handle. I have relatively small hands and I find it very comfortable with the band sitting between my middle and third finger as well. I used it and my Gerber small hatchet to chop down a couple of small trees to make walking sticks out of. The Gerber was used first and it did a very fine job as I expected. Then I used the kukri and found it to be just as good and possibly a bit better at chopping down a small tree.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE