Hypothetical backpack discussion

Jun 1, 2011
Germany
Hi guys,

i was just having this idea... i dont know if anyone of you can get anything out of this or if the idea is just whack but here we go:

do you know the feeling that you have a bunch of backpacks / rucksacks but none of it are fitting your exact personal preferances and likes (such as number of internal pockets, padding, weight, aso.)? Good! I have that feeling all the time and i just wanted to start this thread so that people can discuss what theire "dream pack" should have and maybe someone here knows a pack that fits those wishes just perfect! I'll just go ahead and start with my "dream backpack".

Ok for me.. it should be more of a daypack kind of pack with 30 to 50 liters capacity. The looks of it should be more on the civilian side (so no molle / pals webbing across the whole freaking pack). Color should be on the dark side (black / dark grey). The shoulder straps should be well padded so it won't be awkward to wear if fully loaded out to the seems. Although i said no molle, i'd like it to have some kind of webbing / bungy strap on the shoulder straps (cause i like to carry my multi tool (Victorinox Spirit) or my flashlight (JETbeam BC10) in a molle holster of some sort (maxpedition single sheath or something like that) on the shoulder straps. There should be a waiststrap that is fully removable. I'd rather not have a chest strap.

Pockets:
Side pocket for fitting a 32 oz / 1 Lit nalgene bottle in.
Front pocket with internal sleaves and pockets to organize stuff (Pen sleaves, credit card sleaves).
1 big main compartement
1 smaller sized compartement (for having the capability to separate something from the main compartement) (I personally like a pocket like this for carrying some kind of organizer pocket with my EDC and some items i just use all the time (Maxpedition EDC pocket organizer). So i can just throw it in the pack that i'm currently using.

Optional Gadgets:
I would really appreaciate a flexible raincover that comes out of the bottom of the pack.
Plus some D rings on the bottom to carry a sleeping bag / tent / sleeping pad there.

So ... maybe someone knows a pack that fits MY personal needs just perfect.
Otherwise feel free to just discribe your own dream pack ... maybe someone can help you :)

Please excuse any gramatic / spelling / writing errors that i might have made, since english isn't my mother language :)

Have a great day :)

Greetings from Germany
David

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...i was just having this idea... i dont know if anyone of you can get anything out of this or if the idea is just whack but here we go....Greetings from Germany..."

Hello and welcome.

Good luck with your search, it took me many years before I found my ideal pack which is the Crux AK47.

with 30 to 50 liters capacity - yes (47 liters)
The looks of it should be more on the civilian side (so no molle / pals webbing across the whole freaking pack) - yes
Color should be on the dark side (black / dark grey) - yes
The shoulder straps should be well padded so it won't be awkward to wear if fully loaded out to the seems - no (but I find it to be very comfortable)
i'd like it to have some kind of webbing / bungy strap on the shoulder straps - yes
There should be a waiststrap that is fully removable - no (their back/strap and belt is made as one piece)
I'd rather not have a chest strap - yes (it is removable)
Side pocket for fitting a 32 oz / 1 Lit nalgene bottle in - no (no side pockets, but you can hang and attach stuff to the sides easily enough)
Front pocket with internal sleaves and pockets to organize stuff - no (see above)
1 big main compartement - yes
1 smaller sized compartement - yes (the top pocket)
I would really appreaciate a flexible raincover that comes out of the bottom of the pack - no (it is as waterproof as it needs to be)
Plus some D rings on the bottom to carry a sleeping bag / tent / sleeping pad there - possibly, there are things to attach to, but it wouldn't be very comfortable.

:)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Yeah well i kind of had and eye for the pygmy ... but it looks way to tactical for me... thanks for the answer anyways.

Nah, the Pygmy isn't that tactical looking at all in real life. Besides, add a couple of patches and you can tone it down no end..

P1000472.jpg

DSC00128.jpg

Jun 1, 2011
Germany
Hello and welcome.

Good luck with your search, it took me many years before I found my ideal pack which is the Crux AK47.

with 30 to 50 liters capacity - yes (47 liters)
The looks of it should be more on the civilian side (so no molle / pals webbing across the whole freaking pack) - yes
Color should be on the dark side (black / dark grey) - yes
The shoulder straps should be well padded so it won't be awkward to wear if fully loaded out to the seems - no (but I find it to be very comfortable)
i'd like it to have some kind of webbing / bungy strap on the shoulder straps - yes
There should be a waiststrap that is fully removable - no (their back/strap and belt is made as one piece)
I'd rather not have a chest strap - yes (it is removable)
Side pocket for fitting a 32 oz / 1 Lit nalgene bottle in - no (no side pockets, but you can hang and attach stuff to the sides easily enough)
Front pocket with internal sleaves and pockets to organize stuff - no (see above)
1 big main compartement - yes
1 smaller sized compartement - yes (the top pocket)
I would really appreaciate a flexible raincover that comes out of the bottom of the pack - no (it is as waterproof as it needs to be)
Plus some D rings on the bottom to carry a sleeping bag / tent / sleeping pad there - possibly, there are things to attach to, but it wouldn't be very comfortable.

:)

Hi man, thanks for the detailed comparison :)

that sure is a cool backpack! But i kind of dont like it's looks :)

Greez David

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE