Hypothermia Claims another Hiker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi Everyone!

It's a sad occasion when a hiker loses her life in the outdoors. I believe there are several safety lessons we can take from her story. So I'm sharing this link.

Hypothermia Claims another Hiker

A reminder to be thoughtful and kind when discussing the deceased.

Please be safe out there! Learn to recognize the symptoms of hypothermia and know what to do when it strikes.

- Woodsorrel

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I just dont get the dissonance between someone described as an `experienced hiker` and someone who was not dressed correctly, nor had what we would regard as an effective survival pack.

I just dont get the dissonance between someone described as an `experienced hiker` and someone who was not dressed correctly, nor had what we would regard as an effective survival pack.

This is an interesting question, Tengu. But experience does not preclude an error in judgment or underestimating weather conditions. It just reduces the likelihood.

That she was an ultralight hiker may also have factored into her gear choices.

- Woodsorrel

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Sad tale but she was so badly equipped/clothed for that area her solo walk is akin to a suicidal act

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm surprised that as an experienced 'ultra light' hiker the lady didn't have a couple of those weigh nothing foil blankets in a pocket. If nothing else they're waterproof when necessary.
Shame to lose your life for lack of such simple kit.

The report comments that cold and wet are killers. 4.4 to 15C and wet. That's just normal weather. I thought the report was about someone caught out unprepared in below 0C.

Just goes to show though how easily things can go wrong.

M

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
One thing that strikes me on reading such reports is that there's no way of knowing her state of mind immediately preceding her going off alone, sometimes folk do the strangest things, often completely out of character and with no discernible reason.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
To us Toddy that is bordering on a summer day, much above 15c and Geordieland becomes the land of disposable BBQ's and way too much summer clothing

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Aye, same up here. It's been around 8C here today….I'm in a sleeveless summer blouse and bare feet :)….and that was out in the garden too.

Right enough, the last time I weighed 100lbs (just over 7stones) I was about seventeen, and I don't live 4,000 foot up a hill.

M

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
One of the biggest problems is though Hypothermia is relatively easy (with a little knowledge) to recognise when someone else is showing or even starting to show symptoms it is often very difficult to recognise the symptoms in yourself. An early symptom is 'mild confusion and making bad decisions' Most people even quite experienced hikers, hunters, campers etc. tend to labour under the false misapprehension that it has to be really cold and that they have to be really feeling the cold, it simply isn't true and often by the time you are starting to go down with it you simply are not capable or able to realise it.

D.B.

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
Not so long ago i was at my hunting permission and decided to camp overnight.i had a hammock no underquilt and a 1 to 2 season sleeping bag. I didnt have much in the way of spare clothing.i wore everything i had and managed a chilly few hours sleep.all th8s was on a unusual cold night in October.
I was up at about 5 am shivering and a sense that all was not well.i made a brew and subsequently knocked it over spilling the lot.i needed a hot drink so made another.i picked myself up and walked to my car 50 yards away to a heater and sleep.why i didnt make that decision earlier still evades me to this day.

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Be aware of the conditions that can/do cause Hypothermia, If/When you start to feel not necessarily cold but uncomfortable think of a song that you know well and sing it through in your head, it is not always easy to appreciate that you are starting to make bad decisions but it is strangely noticeable when you cannot remember song lyrics to a favorite song.....it at least gives you a jolt or a clue that things may not be quite right.

D.B.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Be aware of the conditions that can/do cause Hypothermia, If/When you start to feel not necessarily cold but uncomfortable think of a song that you know well and sing it through in your head, it is not always easy to appreciate that you are starting to make bad decisions but it is strangely noticeable when you cannot remember song lyrics to a favorite song.....it at least gives you a jolt or a clue that things may not be quite right.

D.B.

An emminently good tip, that.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
No desire to comment on the unfortunate Lady but as others have observed it can catch you out as I have experienced several times. Both when calling foxes. Once in October and the other in February. On both occasions I suddenly realised things were not as they should be and forced my self to get up and make my way to the Landrover. Controlled breathing helped but it was a struggle given an element of panic crept in and set the pulse racing.

On both occasions the thought of the most likely local newspaper headline was sobering: Hunter freezes to death within sight of Farm.

Last edited:

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Too easy to blame hypothermia and to wag heads wisely at other's mistakes. Interesting to see the post-mortem report.

Just read a report of the post-mortem and they say hypothermia.

Last edited:

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere

Lets be honest anybody can be caught out, and the older you are, the more vulnerable you are. Only last week I made a mistake of not carrying a pair of waterproof trousers. I got caught out in wet snow and by the time I had walked the 4 miles or so home, my trousers were wet through and I was very cold and uncomfortable and glad to be home and out of those trousers.

One of the biggest problems... it is often very difficult to recognise the symptoms in yourself.

This is an excellent point, Drain Bamaged. That's what makes hypothermia so insidious. I tend to do well in cold weather. But once in a while my body temperature falls off a cliff. It is frightening how quickly it happens. I am now very careful to pay attention to it.

- Woodsorrel

... The report comments that cold and wet are killers. 4.4 to 15C and wet. That's just normal weather. I thought the report was about someone caught out unprepared in below 0C.

Toddy, I should clarify that the temperature range you cite is when hypothermia is surprisingly common. In the case of the hiker, news reports state the overnight temperature she faced was at or below zero (-17 C).

- Woodsorrel

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
I read somewhere that a test for hypothermia is to try to touch the thumb + forefinger together on the same hand when feeling cold. If you/they struggle to do that you are much colder than you think and need to do something pronto to get and remain warm.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
PREPARE FOR HYPOTHERMIA! Learn to recognize the conditions for hypothermia and act BEFORE it strikes.
Sadly, this poor woman was unprepared.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE