Hurricane Lamp Fuel

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Would you use paraffin or oil as a fuel?

I'm thinking of picking a couple of lamps for static camping. I kind of fell in love with them again after pitching next to Singeblister at the Moot. I like the glow and I'm less likely to get an ear full of wax when I bump into them.

My thinking is that paraffin is quite hard to get hold of, but every supermarket carrys veg oil, and you could always burn citreonella (sp?).

Any opinions?

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Would you use paraffin or oil as a fuel?

I'm thinking of picking a couple of lamps for static camping. I kind of fell in love with them again after pitching next to Singeblister at the Moot. I like the glow and I'm less likely to get an ear full of wax when I bump into them.

My thinking is that paraffin is quite hard to get hold of, but every supermarket carrys veg oil, and you could always burn citreonella (sp?).

Any opinions?

Hurricane lamps run on Paraffin.
Most outdoor shops sell it, I got a 5lt can from a local market for £4.00

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
when people lamps on oil it is lamp oil not veg oil.

most petrol stations sell it.

Strange you say that, a lot of lads off the stove collectors forum live 'up north' and can get paraffin easy, down here in South Wales, I stock up when I can find a supplier. The big Focus store stocks it in winter for greenhouse heaters, there is not a garage within 10 miles that stocks it now, but there is a small DIY stall in the local market, the guy running that orders it in for me now. I recently picked up 30 litres to keep me going for 2-3 months

Don't forget you can burn heating oil in hurricane lamps no problem

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
There is a new generation of parafin heaters that run on ROLF (Reduced Odour Liquid Fuel) basically a de-stenched parafin - available in 25 litre drums from some B&Q stores. You could always add your own citronella or lavender or whatever takes your fancy, though I'm not sure what the final price per fill would be after adding smelly oils etc.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Lostdreamer

Tenderfoot
Jul 6, 2007
Wmids
Yeah, hurricane lamps run on paraffin or something close. The wicks actually contain a catalyst (why they burn with a white light), and if you clog the wick with veg oil then they won't work as well - they may not work at all. Havn't tried it, can't say. They don't use very much paraffin, so they ain't exactly expensive to run.

If you DO want to burn veg oil, and you are packing your gear in a car, then keep your eyes peeled for a metal tiki torch. They cast a bigger pool of light, work better for keeping the midges away and, imho, look prettier. They are however a naked flame and do burn a lot more fuel than a hurricane lamp.

If you are burning paraffin I wouldn't bother with citronella oil or anything like that - it's oily, sooty smelly stuff anyway and seems to work at least as well as DEET for repelling midges.

All imho, things may work differently for you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE