Hunting with a bow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

If bow hunting became legal in the UK I would

• not hunt and advocate the right to hunt is revoked

Votes: 10 4.8%
  • not hunt because I have a moral objection

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • not hunt because my aim or equipment is not up to it

Votes: 31 14.8%
  • take vermin (rabbits, greys, woodpigeons and crows)

Votes: 29 13.8%
  • only take permitted game for the pot and personal use

Votes: 131 62.4%

• Total voters

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
I didn't vote because I don't live in the UK. Bow hunting is legal here, and many of my friends deer hunt using bow. I have thought about deer hunting using a bow, as the season is months long. Though I got an "A" in an archery class in college, I've never felt very competent using a bow.

A good friend hunts using what he calls "instinctive hunting," meaning he doesn't use any sights. He does very well, and I'd like to practise suing this method.

Recently, an old aquaintance moved in just down the road. He has set up an archery range and is an archery afficianado.

I have three bows. One is a 30 + year old short Ben Pierson recurve hunting bow. My wife bought it for me before we were married, paying over $100 dollars (big money) for it at that time. I used it one season, made an excellent shot on a big buck, which I did not locate until after the meat had gone bad. I did get the antlers, but missing out on the meat soured me on bow hunting for many years.

Another bow is a longer, much older, target bow, but appears to be an excellent, and very expensive, recurve. There is no name to be seen on it anywhere. It has a weight and sights on it. The third is a first generation compound bow. I've hardly ever used any of them, but with the existence of an archery range so close, I may just have to get in some practise for next years season.

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Xunil said:
As far as I was aware bowhunting is still legal in the UK.

But only for rabbits (vermin).

At least it used to be until a couple or so years ago, which is about the last time I checked.

I

Not since thr 1963 Countryside Act and repoeated in the 1981 countryside act. With no exceptions for vermin.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
In that case I'm happy to be proven wrong :)

I asked an archer friend some years back and he seemed to be under the impression that vermin was legal but everything else wasn't in the UK.

I figured he must know something I didn't.

So my "couple or so years ago" comment onviosuly goes back a bit further...

:)

I've still enjoyed my overseas bowhunting and bowfishing though.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
C_Claycomb said:
I would be hunting still if I had been able to find anywhere to do so, but down in this part of the country there are a lot more shooters than there are places to shoot, or landowners willing to let them. There are large deer herds around, but getting permision to hunt with a bow, from land owners who don't think much of air rifles, would take quite a lot of working at

I agree completely, I have no problems with taking wild animals in an appropriately controlled and regulated environment (if that is indeed possible). But the geographical situation, certainly in southern England, doesnt really offer the right sort of condityions to allow it safely IMHO.

Even in the US where the woodland areas are considerably larger and have a far lower population pressure, The bow hunting period is allowed for a few weeks only each year, for good reason.

Additionally whilst I have no concerns with the majority of undoubtedly responsible and sensible hunters who will indulge I must confess to nervousness over the few complete prats who will inevitably end up charging around the woods with compound crossbows etc.

Murphys law will apply.

Cheers Nick

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
I used to bowhunt deer years ago. Can't find to many hunters that like to bowhunt anymore. My first deer was taken with a bow. I always shot without sights (instinctive) as well. I used to practice almost everyday. The workmate that I was hunting with at the time used sights, but I was more accurate without them then he was with them. I'll say this. If your not willing to take the time to practice, practice, practice, then don't bowhunt. All you'll do is wind up wounding a bunch of poor animals. If one shoots accurately, one can drop a deer with a bow just as quickly as one can with a gun. If not, get a shotgun, you can't miss then. :togo:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Nick,
I feel that my statement has been taken just a little out of context.

There are plenty of places in Southern England where people stalk deer with rifles. Any of those places would be more than safe enough to hunt deer with a bow, from the public safety point of view. Bows are safer than rifles. In the US they are used in sensitive areas where the use of guns isn't viable...military bases and suburban golf courses are the examples I have heard of.

I don't know what you mean by "appropriately controlled and regulated environment ", in some places that would be taken to mean a trophy hunt in a fenced enclosure, which most folks would find unacceptable from an ethics point of view.

I hope one of our US members will correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I know, the bow seasons in the US are considerably longer than those open for modern rifle hunters. I believe this is due to the lower success rate (closer range rather than lower lethality) allowing the hunters to be in the woods longer without taking more deer than the herd can sustain.

Once again, I don't see why you would be any more likely to get prats running riot in the woods than you are to have them running around already. :p :D

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
Bow season usually is longer. In Louisiana it normally starts Oct. 1 where gun season starts around the middle of Nov. Its usually the last season to close also. The only problem is that rabbit and squirrel season start at the same time as bow season. Makes for some angry bow hunters when they are sitting in a stand and some squirrel hunter walks under them. :aargh4:

Thorfinn

Tenderfoot
Dec 15, 2006
West Lothian
Now, I've never been hunting with a bow, but i would think the skill and tradition behind bow hunting would be far enjoyable. I'm not too sure but i think bow hunting is all year round in canada.

And just remember, this is how our ancestors did it we should be able to experiance the bow.

Thorfinn :cool:

sten

Jan 13, 2007
the dreaded 'burbs
bent-stick said:
So the question is IF bowhunting were made legal in the UK tomorrow where would yo stand...

I'd stand in heavy cover with a compound and a broadhead! Untill i got good enough to make my own kit.
Its often quoted that there's still a law on the statute books requiring able bodied men to get of the sofa and down the park to practice archary on sunday afternoons. After all we did better at Agincourt than we've done in the world cup for quite a while!

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Thorfinn said:
Now, I've never been hunting with a bow, but i would think the skill and tradition behind bow hunting would be far enjoyable. I'm not too sure but i think bow hunting is all year round in canada.

And just remember, this is how our ancestors did it we should be able to experiance the bow.

Thorfinn :cool:

In Alberta, bowhunting season runs before the regular season, generally late August through October. All licenses and regulations apply. The notable exceptions are Grizzly Bear, which found their season closed as of 2005 and the Coyote, which may be hunted year round by a licenseholder. I'm referring to all kinds of hunting for those two species.

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Although I am a passonate deer stalker here in the UK, I would not support the introduction of bow hunting as I believe the instances of wounded animals would increase dramatically.

The problem with bows is their relatively low velocity ie the arrows are sunsonic.. Basically, on hearing the arrow being released, the reactions of a deer mean it has a very good chance of moving before the arrow strikes..it is known as "jumping the string" and to over come this problem, a couple of States in the US still allow the use of the very controversial poison bod type devices on arrows..

This velcity issue means that no matter show competent an archer you are, there is far more chance of the animal being gut shot or shot in the ham or some other none fatal area...

If you want to stalk deer, use a rifle of the appropriate caliber..If you wish, you can still practice a bow hunters aproach ie discipline yourself not to shoot until you get within 20yards ect...

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales
Wayland,

Highseats aside, the closest deer I have taken was a roe buck which I only saw when I was around 15 to 20 feet from him...Most I would guess I take are between 40 and 60 yards; well within a deer's natural flight zone...

Oh,and I did catch a muntjac doe by hand once!

It darted across a ride in front of me and piled into a thick lump of thrash..Unfortunately for the muntjac, the brash was covering a very large tree stump so it was stopped in its tracks...

When i looked down the "tunnel" into brash, I could see it standing motionless so I grabbed it by the two hind legs and pulled it out.

Didn't have the heart to finish it off as it was only a little bigger than a hare!

Regards,

Pete

just to play devils advokat ;) :rolleyes: :D

How about bringing back the use of more out moded ancent hunting techniques just because we can ???

ie Pole Axe
Boomerang (hunting Stick)
Chasing herds of a Cliff

All effective in their time
but like bow hunting not the best any more and you would get idiots taking a pot shot at 100yrds and injuring deer. (it wont ever be legal here BUT) if it did happen i bet it would mean licencing Bows like fire arms for the same reason we are all terrified to carry a sharp implement over 3" or locking blade

Rifle and good telescopics still need a good level of skill and knowlege but are the most humaine way we have.

ATB
Duncan
ill get my Coat :theyareon

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
nickg said:
Even in the US where the woodland areas are considerably larger and have a far lower population pressure, The bow hunting period is allowed for a few weeks only each year, for good reason.

Cheers Nick

Minnesota Deer archery season is from September 15 to December 31 each year.

Wayland said:
You mean this close?

This fellow was about 17 yards from me. Some of his does were less than 5 yards away.

Patience and nerve is all that's needed.

Or this close?
This wild lady was less than 5 meters from me ;)

20feb07etivehynd.jpg

To be at one with your spirit is all that is needed ;)

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I voted "Not to hunt because my equipment and I are not up to it".

I honestly believe that a lifting of the ban would lead to a good deal of unneccesary suffering on the part of the animals due to people being too cavalier in their attitude to their(or that of their equipments) unsuitability for the task.
I shoot and I trap a variety of animals and birds. I have no problem with the "taking of game" but I have very strong opnions about wounding. I was taught to shoot at an early age and primary lessons were of gun safety and being certain of a clean, effective kill BEFORE ever squeezing the trigger. I can still hear my mentors words in my mind.. "Ifn he 'ent dead AFORE you squeeze boy, he sure as hell won't be afterwards neither!" Meaning that you had to be absolutely certain of a clean, safe kill or you had no right to take the shot.

I realise that there are plenty on this forum and in societies up and down the country who would put in the time and effort to practice in order to become competant enough in both their bow-skills and their fieldcraft to become effective bow-hunters, but there are, in my opnion, likely to far more who would "give it a go" and end up leaving wounded animals to suffer a slow and painful death.

In a true "survival" situation I would no doubt very quickly lose any qualms I had on the matter and would take whatever game I could, by whatever means I could, in order to do all I could to ensure the welfare of me and mine. With the level of skill required to use a bow as an effective hunting weapon I doubt very much that it would be at the top of my list for gathering meat with though. ;)

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
w00dsmoke said:
Or this close?
This wild lady was less than 5 meters from me ;)

20feb07etivehynd.jpg

To be at one with your spirit is all that is needed ;)

Or you could just try being really quiet and approaching from downwind. I find that to be a more reliable strategy. :werd:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My 2p worth. Any form of licensing should be done watching the indended hunter shoot live quarry (perhaps after demonstarting competence at targets). The target shooting should be like "field target" wherby the shooter has to estimate range. I've seen any number of competent live shooters forget all their technique shooting live quarry!

Awkward and difficult I agree, but shot placement is all in bow hunting - the licence rules should be no less stringent than firearms licencing - more so if anything given the limitations of the weapon (requiring improved fieldcraft etc.)

Red

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
Longstrider said:
I voted "Not to hunt because my equipment and I are not up to it".

I honestly believe that a lifting of the ban would lead to a good deal of unneccesary suffering on the part of the animals due to people being too cavalier in their attitude to their(or that of their equipments) unsuitability for the task.
I shoot and I trap a variety of animals and birds. I have no problem with the "taking of game" but I have very strong opnions about wounding. I was taught to shoot at an early age and primary lessons were of gun safety and being certain of a clean, effective kill BEFORE ever squeezing the trigger. I can still hear my mentors words in my mind.. "Ifn he 'ent dead AFORE you squeeze boy, he sure as hell won't be afterwards neither!" Meaning that you had to be absolutely certain of a clean, safe kill or you had no right to take the shot.

I realise that there are plenty on this forum and in societies up and down the country who would put in the time and effort to practice in order to become competant enough in both their bow-skills and their fieldcraft to become effective bow-hunters, but there are, in my opnion, likely to far more who would "give it a go" and end up leaving wounded animals to suffer a slow and painful death.

In a true "survival" situation I would no doubt very quickly lose any qualms I had on the matter and would take whatever game I could, by whatever means I could, in order to do all I could to ensure the welfare of me and mine. With the level of skill required to use a bow as an effective hunting weapon I doubt very much that it would be at the top of my list for gathering meat with though. ;)

I'm with Longstrider on this excepting the 'true survival situation" in the UK. Seems a little far fetched that in a small island with 60 million people a 'true survival situation' is going to occur.
So it boils down to hunting for pleasure. My local butcher sells venison why bother hunting.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE