Hunting Weapons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
Found some pics of part of my shoot and my trusty .22 Long Arm (1974 BSA Mercury .22, Older than me :D )

Merc2.jpg

Andy

I also have a .22 BSA Mercury it was the first gun I ever had and it's still in the cupboard now. I had countless happy hours shooting summer harvest rabbits and was a lot fitter and stealthier.Then you buy a rimfire and get old, lazy, & sit on a quad shooting at 100 yards.:dunno:

Happy Days.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Following a very off topic set of posts on another thread, this thread has been started to contain the off topic posts, while the conversation to continue and let the original thread return to it's landscape topic. I split the other thread after this post.

Gentlemen, I have already shifted this thread into Fair Game simply because of the sheer volume of guns shown, now the entire thread has shifted from landscape (with people hunting) to photos of guns.

I'm going to split the thread and ask that it is returned to images of shooting areas.

I'll name the new thread, "Hunting Weapons", and ask that the guns shown are intended for that purpose.
Guns primarily intended for hunting people aren't acceptable. Please remove images to comply.

cheers,
Toddy

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Here's the .22 I use the most. Pound for pound, it's the most game harvesting and pest eliminating weapon I have. It's a Ruger 10/22 semi-auto.

The scope is a 4x40mm Tasco with a battery powered illuminated reticle for use in low light conditions. The pouch on the stock is a two pocket speedloader pouch originally made for the speedloaders for large revolver. Each pocket holds an extra 10 round rotary mag nicely without throwing off the balance of the rifle. In the bottom of one mag pouch, wedged in so it doesn't easily fall out is a pull through cleaning kit I made, and similarly wedged in the bottom of the other pouch are two battery changes for the scope. The scope's batteries last a long time and you really only need to turn the reticle light on under low light conditions.

The stock is a Butler Creek synthetic and the scope has Butler Creek flip up covers.

I'll usually use 32gr CCI Stinger hypervelocity hollowpoints or 36gr Federal high velocity hollowpoints. I also use a lot of CCI CB Longs. To use the CB Longs you load only 5 per mag to prevent jamming, and you cycle the action manually like a bolt action. I have some hi-cap mags for it, and I keep a couple of Eagle 30 rounders around in case of an emergency. The Butler Creek and the Eagles are the only .22LR hi-caps for the Ruger rimfire rifles that I find reliable.

Ruger_1022.jpg

Here's an example of a small carry load of tools for prolonged trekking in the Sonora desert.

gear3.jpg

gear1.jpg

The pistol is a Ruger MkII .22LR with synthetic rubber Houge grips. This pistol, based on the WWII Japanese Nambu is probably the best .22LR pistol design in the world. It's as close to indestructible as you can get in a pistol. This one is stainless steel with fixed sights and a standard contour 4-3/4" barrel. It is extremely accurate. I can kill a jackrabbit (American desert hare) with it at 75m. It's accurate enough that with much larger game you can pop them in the head. You can also kill birds like ducks and quail, often by shooting them in the head (quail you can often get surprisingly close). It uses 10 round magazines and I usually carry 5 of them. One is stored in a pouch on the holster.

One note about using a stainless firearm, especially a .22LR. Unless you want to have severe leading problems rather rapidly, you should try and only use copper plated lead or jacketed bullets.

On a .22LR semi-auto pistol like the MkII you can use CB Long ammunition, but you only load 4 per magazine and you manually cycle the weapon.

The khukuri is a Himalayan Imports 16.5" WWII pattern made in Nepal. The two traditional small tools in the modified original scabbard I replaced with ones I made. The karda (small knife) has a 3.5" blade and chakma (sharpening steel) is made out of a file. It had one edge polished smooth for use as a hone and has saw teeth for notching and scraping wood cut into the other edge. The coarse and fine file edges were retained and the end was sharpened into a chisel/scraper shape. The scabbard has a bundle of paracord, a magnesium firetool, the all important surgical tweezers, and a survival kit with sewing gear, fishing gear, whistle, extra compass, etc.

The other tools are my Leatherman Charge which I always have on me anyways, a really lightweight Gerber folding saw (usually an item for carry in the pack), and two very specific Sonoran desert tools for harvesting and processing edible desert plants, a 6" Rapala filet knife and a long pair of barbecue tongs. The maglite has an LED upgrade and is a backup to the LED headlamp normally carried.

statikpunk

Apr 18, 2007
nevada, U.S.A.
first of all i like the way this thread went off topic, (I'm a gun nut) and i would like to say that showing pictures of ANY gun is NOT offensive, a gun is a tool and even if it was originally designed to kill people that doesn't mean it is not a practical hunting weapon (take the old WWI 30-06 rifle many hunters got their start with this military rifle when they came home from the war and surplus stores carried hundreds of them for cheap)so I've got your back PICT!!:soapbox:
anyway back on topic MROSTOV I carry a very similar setup to you for jacks. I also have a ruger 10/22 I have a hogue rubber stock on it a volquartsen hammer kit, a carbon barrel, and a weaver 2.5-7 power scope, the whole thing weighs 5IB 1OZ with loaded clip I highly recommend the carbon bull barrel (I love 10/22s because they are so easy to modify, very versatile) as for a pistol i carry an old colt woodsman in (interestingly enough) the same exact holster you do!:eek:
but when it comes to shooting rabbits I can eat (cottontails) i carry a ruger 77/22 boltaction that I converted to 17 mach2. the 17 mach2 round is gods gift to rabbit hunters. believe it or not, my father and I had an egg shooting contest at 313 yards (benchrest) he hit his on the first shot and i hit mine on the second !(try that with a standard .22):eek: for a round that is no bigger than a .22 i am so impressed with the 17 mach2 it boggles the mind. dont get me wrong I still love carrying my 10/22 but the .17 is on another level.

here are some pics of my .17 (I know the original thread said no dead animals but since this is an all new thread I figured it was ok, plus these are tasteful no blood and guts.)
I will also post some pics of my 10/22 as soon as I get a chance.
also I would love to see everyones hunting setup, even the Brits (some of those airguns are pretty impressive!)

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
hw97k.jpg

Weinrauch HW97K in .22, it's running a shade under the legal limit of 12ft lbs, it's not a light gun by any means weighing in at 4Kg without the scope attached, but it feels wonderful to shoot, btw the bipod and small scope were added purely for the photo when i took it a little while back, the scope has now been replaced by a Hawke Reflex Mildot 4-12 x 50 which has improved things no end :)

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I would love to see everyones hunting setup, even the Brits (some of those airguns are pretty impressive!)
Oi - we do have bigger guns over here as well you know :rolleyes:

I personally use a .17HMR Anschutz (Verminator!), a .243 Sako 75 Finnfire Heavy Barrel (long range foxer) and a .308 Parker Hale Safari Super (Stalking Rifle) with 30.06 Sako 85 Synthetic Stainless on the cards when the variation goes through (see, not an air rifle in sight ;) )

statikpunk

Apr 18, 2007
nevada, U.S.A.
I stand corrected SILVERBACK thats a good setup. my very first gun was an Anschutz, it was a .22 and it was called the woodchuck, I loved that gun but eventually grew out of it.
From the impression I got, it sounded like its really difficult to own powder burning rifles over there in the British isles, but its obviously not impossible eh??
also if you like your 17 hmr then give the 17 mach2 a try all the same performance and half the price to shoot. the mach2 is smaller and shoots a lighter bullet, but don't let anyone tell you that it doesn't pack enough punch to kill cleanly. I have 7 confirmed kills in a row on rockchucks at distances ranging from 150-300 yards, thats a lot of smack for a bullet that only weighs 15 grains!! you'll love it!

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Good grief a Ruger .22LR I started pistol shooting with one of those a few of decades ago only the heavy barreled model, damn near indestructible. Had a woodsman for a while and then moved to all full bore. Always liked the idea of a Thompson contender but could never bring myself to actually buy one. Did have a rolling block pistol that had barrels from necked down .357 to .303 short all sorts of oddball stuff.

Pothunter.

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
The perception is that in the UK we need a license for pointy sticks. In reality if you can show justification for a weapon (within the legal frame work) you can have it.

We can also find something to shoot all year round without difficulty, I have friends on the other side of the pond who find it difficult to either get permission to hunt good ground or pay a lot more than we do. Pothunter.

statikpunk

Apr 18, 2007
nevada, U.S.A.
that is true POTHUNTER in the eastern portion of the US it can be very hard to find land to hunt on. not the case though in my neck of the woods, i have hundreds of miles of public land in all directions of me, as a matter of fact i shot my mule deer this year a scant 30 minutes from my house, and didn't have to ask anyone to do it. (public land) as for the cost to hunt I feel that the states take advantage of the hunters by sticking it to them. it used to be that a person could hunt to provide food for your family and save some cash, but every year it costs a little more and it is slowly becoming a rich mans sport, which in my opinion is sad
for example each state is different but my hunting and fishing license cost me about $60.00 which is equal to about 30 pounds I believe. and that lets you hunt small game, then for each large game animal you want to hunt it costs $15.00 that puts you into the lottery system to draw, then if you draw the tag it costs you more and that is dependent on the animal i.e.mule deer =$25.00 elk=$120.00 mountain lion you can buy over the counter though $30.00 , but all the states are not that way for instance i think its Alabama you can hunt 1 deer a day for 30 days for like 20 bucks, so each state is different.

i think it is sad that you should have to come up with a reason to own a gun, if you are not a law breaker then what difference does it make, and out of curiosity is , self defense considered a good enough reason, also i was curious how long ago was it that you guys had your gun rights made more strict??

statikpunk

Apr 18, 2007
nevada, U.S.A.
here are the pics I promised of my rabbiting kit it's a ruger 10/22 with carbon barrel, a colt woodsman in .22, and my hip bag with a mora knife, as well as rubber gloves and ziploc bags for cleaning the rabbits. As soon as cottontail season roles around i am pretty much inseparable from this stuff, the only thing that changes is sometimes i substitute my .17 mach2 for the .22 depending on my mood.:D

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Interesting to see the colt woodsman, first pistol i owned was a woodsman match pistol, swapped it for a hi standard citation and always regreted it

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
i think it is sad that you should have to come up with a reason to own a gun, if you are not a law breaker then what difference does it make, and out of curiosity is , self defense considered a good enough reason, also i was curious how long ago was it that you guys had your gun rights made more strict??

The gun laws over here were made a lot stricter mainly due to 2 massacres that took place. One in 1987 in Hungerford where 17 people died including the gunman. This resulted in the banning of semi-automatic centre fire rifles and a restriction on shotguns with a capacity of more than 2 cartridges. The other massacre took place in 1996 in Dunblane where 16 children under the age of 11 and their teacher were murdered by the gunman who then killed himself. This massacre resulted in the banning of all handguns under 60cm in length. Both the gunmen used weapons and ammunition that they legally owned at the time.

Using the reason of self defense to own a gun would never be accepted. Ironically, banning all the guns hasn't stopped criminal from possessing them as can be seen from the rising gun crime figures.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Using the reason of self defense to own a gun would never be accepted. Ironically, banning all the guns hasn't stopped criminal from possessing them as can be seen from the rising gun crime figures.

The number of overall offences involving firearms fell by 13% in 2006/07 compared to the previous year.
Firearms were involved in 566 serious or fatal injuries in 2006/07, compared to 645 the previous year - a drop of 12%.
The number of armed robberies involving guns dropped by 3%
There were 13% fewer serious and fatal injuries related to gun crimes in 2006/07.
The number of reported crimes involving imitation guns dropped by 15% in 2006/07.
The number of reported crimes involving air guns dropped by 15% in 2006/07 over 2005/06.

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs08/hosb0308.pdf
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/crimeew0607.html

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Hi Tadpole

These figures although the official HO figures collated buy police forces through out the UK are open to interpretation. Reports from previous years used criteria that differed between police forces not distinguishing between imitation and real firearms and reports such as 'I heard a gunshot' and 'I heard something like a gunshot' or 'I saw a gun' and 'I think I saw a gun'

About five years ago West Mids Police reported a figure of approximately 2500 firearms related incidents in one year! this was due to recording just about everything they could as firearms related, for reasons best known to themselves.

I may be cynical but there has been an effort to disarm private subjects in the UK since the end of the first world war despite the 1689 Bill of Rights that states:
having arms for their defense suitable to their condition, and such allowed by law a public allowance under due restrictions, of the natural right of resistance and self-preservation when the sanctions of society and laws are found insufficient to restrain the violence of oppression.
It goes on to say:
When Actually violated or attacked, the subjects of England are entitled, in the first place, to the regular administration and free course of justice in the courts of law; next, to the right of petitioning the king and Parliament for redress of grievances; and lastly, to the right of having and using arms for self-preservation and defense. The common law, as established in ancient tradition, the 1689 Bill of Rights, judicial consecution, defined the rights of all Englishmen.

This act is still in force today and the Bill of Rights remain the cornerstone of democracy in England

The firearms legislation has more to do with winning votes and a centralised government that once elected becomes unaccountable to the people and police forces that becomes more distant from the people they police each year.

I will leave my contribution here for fear of taking over the whole site, Pothunter.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Not to drag such a great thread off topic, however The passage you have quoted is not from the 1689 Bill of Rights, but from Commentaries on the Laws of England (1765) by Blackstone, published in 1765

“The fifth and last auxiliary right of the subject that I shall at present mention is that of having arms for their defence suitable to their condition and degree, and such as are allowed by law. Which is also declared by the same statute I W. & M. st.2. c.2. and it is indeed, a public allowance under due restrictions, of the natural right of resistance and self-preservation, when the sanctions of society and law are found insufficient to restrain the violence of oppression.”
William Blackstone, Commentaries on the Laws of England (1765)

The 1689Bill of Rights merely states that
“That the subjects which are Protestants may have arms for their defence suitable to their conditions and as allowed by law; “
This came in to being as the Roman Catholic king imposed a law disarming Protestants.
This law redressed that matter, however the law clearly states that only people of a certain station may be armed, and the arms they carry were subject to the laws of the land. In other words, only the nobility and the gentry could own arms; the ordinary citizen had no right to bear arms.

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Commentaries on the Laws of England (1765) are just that Blackstone bringing together commenting and clarifying the laws as enacted by royal decree and parliament up to that time and an excellent work it is to. And the wording I use is from Blackstone.

However the The basic tenets of the Bill of Rights 1689 are:
• Englishmen, as embodied by Parliament, possessed certain immutable civil and political rights. These included:
o freedom from royal interference with the law (the Sovereign was forbidden to establish his own courts or to act as a judge himself)
o freedom from taxation by royal prerogative, without agreement by Parliament
o freedom to petition the Monarch
o freedom from a peace-time standing army, without agreement by Parliament
o freedom (for Protestants) to have arms for their defence, suitable to their class status and as allowed by law
o freedom to elect members of Parliament without interference from the Sovereign
o the freedom of speech in Parliament, in that proceedings in Parliament were not to be questioned in the courts or in any body outside Parliament itself (the basis of modern parliamentary privilege)
o freedom from cruel and unusual punishments, and excessive bail
o freedom from fines and forfeitures without trial
• Certain acts of James II were specifically named and declared illegal on this basis.
• The flight of James from England in the wake of the Glorious Revolution amounted to abdication of the throne.
• Roman Catholic could not be king or queen of England since "it hath been found by experience that it is inconsistent with the safety and welfare of this protestant kingdom to be governed by a papist prince". The Sovereign was required to swear a coronation oath to maintain the Protestant Religion
• William and Mary were the successors of James.
• Succession should pass to the heirs of Mary, then to Mary's sister Princess Anne of Denmark and her heirs, then to any heirs of William by a later marriage.
• The Sovereign was required to summon Parliament frequently, later reinforced by the Triennial Act 1694

As you comment it was never considered that any other group should be deprived of this right.

I think you will find that any freeman is entitled to arm himself subject to the laws of the land, in arming himself this may be anything from a chair leg to a legally held firearm. Along with these rights also go certain responsibilities such as the issuing of a challenge where appropriate and using force of arms as a defense.

The HO has in the past and probably still does issue licenses for weapons that may be used in self defense but only in exceptional circumstances.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE