Hunter wellies? Are they all they are cracked up to be?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I use stalkers - they are pretty beaten up - but still watertight (I fixed one spot with glue where I put a blackthorn spike right through and into my leg :()

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Well the Grubs Stalkers turned up today and less than 20 hours after I ordered them! That and unlike RM i got a text telling me my couriers name and a time window of one hour, now that's more like it! Oh and a free pair of heavy duty woollen socks thrown in for ordering!
Just went out with the dog across recently ploughed fields through mud and water up n down hill as well as a good pavement walk to keep the dogs claws down.
They performed brilliantly and were comfortable, warm, dry and pretty light considering. The only downside was a little foot slide when going down pretty steep hills but its a welly and not a boot after all. So the verdict brilliant and no more constant polishing and cleaning leather not to mention dodging puddles and the worst of the mud.
The company I used were incredibly helpful and polite not to mention the free boot socks. The boots were also cheaper than anywhere else I could find.
Free bit of publicity for good service deserved Wedbury.com

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Pleased you are pleased :) I may end up buying a new pair soon. My current are going strong still - but a backup makes sense when you wear them as much as I do!

Sep 5, 2012
Shropshire
Neoprene lined hunters for me warm and comfortable they adjust to fit the calf and come with a selection and insoles, just like walking in a pair of boots.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
I personally don't like them. The old Scottish made ones were excellent, but looking at the quality and reviews (eg Amazon) I don't bother with them. Depending on how much you want to pay there are plenty of other brands out there as already stated here. I personally like Muckboots- mix of neoprene and rubber, they are more fitted and I can walk longer distances in them-plus no cold feet! :)

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
I've done a twelve mile walk easy in my tay muck boots, with no issues. I have a fairly chubby calf so I like the neoprene, and they are warm and comfy as anything. I reckon I'm in mine for about 10 - 15 hours a week and I haven't had a problem yet.
They seem expensive but given that I wear them much more than I would a walking boot, and given that a decent walking boot is probably over a hundred quid, they aren't really all that bad value at seventy quid...

foxtrot_07

Jul 11, 2016
United Kingdom
Hunters wouldn’t be popular if they are so crappy right? Found this article, but then again if this article is written,I can conclude that Hunters, specifically, cracks are infamous as well. Wellies are pretty standard footwear for someone who lives in the boonies like me. I've got quite a collection of it, and coincidentally, my last two pairs have been Hunters. In my humble opinion, I find them to be the most comfortable brand, unfortunately, not always the longest lasting with respect to how much it costs. My mum says that maybe because production must have been moved to China, as her last pair lasted for about ten years, whereas her newer ones leaked after only five months, and I somewhat concur.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE