Hunter Shot Dead by Hunters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You don't even need to use cammo anyway. Most animals see in black and white so a Hawaiian shirt would still look the same to them.

Not quite true mate. They see in black and white to a certain extent, though there are many shades of grey in between. If you wear colours the same as the surroundings then you blend into the same shades of grey, if you wear brght colours then you are a different shade of grey and in contrast to the surroundings. When all life is black and white then they recognise those shades of grey as we would colours.:)

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Not quite true mate. They see in black and white to a certain extent, though there are many shades of grey in between. If you wear colours the same as the surroundings then you blend into the same shades of grey, if you wear brght colours then you are a different shade of grey and in contrast to the surroundings. When all life is black and white then they recognise those shades of grey as we would colours.:)

I think it's also down to the light spectrum too - from red to blue. Isn't it right that deer can't see the red end of the spectrum?

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
I think it's also down to the light spectrum too - from red to blue. Isn't it right that deer can't see the red end of the spectrum?

It's an evolutionary development.

The one's that do can spot this a mile off and survive.

budweiser.jpg

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire

Not too sure about deer mate. Not really looked into them as i dont hunt them, my last post was more to do with air rifle quarry, which i have read into. We see their lack of colour vision as a disadvantage to them, yet when you are born with that kind of vision it isnt at all. Night vision is greatly increased by that kind of vision too.

hiraeth

Settler
Jan 16, 2007
Port Talbot
Reminds me of a story told by Woody Allan, have not heard it for a few years now, but that one involved a Moose if i remember correctly.

carlcmss

Dec 18, 2009
Onatrio, Canada
Many hunters don't know but colour is not important, it's the shape of the hunter human/animal that scares them of. I don't hunt but I'm pritty sure I would not dress up as any animal in a hunting area.

Nickthechippy

Jan 21, 2009
barnstaple
I swear a bright dayglo orange ball is nearly impossible for my dog to see if is not moving. Moving its fine, if its sitting on the grass he sometimes runs right past it. Im sure they make them orange for the owners, not the dogs

Nick

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Hillbill's right in saying that bright colours do make a difference in a dark spot, though of course not in a light spot. Red I think is the best choice and used to be commonplace for hunting - bright enough to see that it ain't an animal but it can still be subdued enough for it to not look out of place in monochromatic vision.

Carlcmss is mostly right; breaking up the shape is more important than what colour you wear. However, another possibility that has been considered is what you wash your clothes with. Certain laundry detergents try to 'brighten' clothing, and the clothing can become quite a good reflector for UV light, and some believe that deer can see into the ultraviolet; this would essentially mean that irrespective of colour, you would be glowing in an alien-esque manner :)

matty1967

Feb 2, 2009
north wiltshire
hi
i hunt and use dpm and more modern camo's.my assumption would be that good camo works but it might how it is percieved by the hunted as in different shades more than colour. and the wrong camo in an enviroment wont help much.have plenty and try to change with the seasons.most work ok but movement is whats going to get you seen.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
My guess is that animals do not see color or at least not in certain parts of the visual spectrum. However, years ago, in a psychology textbook, I read an account of an experiment by H.E. Land, the inventor of the polaroid camera.

In short, he was able to take two photographs (for a three dimension effect) of the same area using black and white film, and when projecting them onto a screen, using two projectors, he got a black and white three dimensional picture. With a red filter over each projector lens, he got a red three dimensional picture. If he were to remove one of the red filters, you would expect that he would get a pink three dimensional picture. He did not, he got a full-color three dimensional picture.

This experiment brings the whole rod and cone theory of color vision into question.

Interestingly enough, I have never run across any more experiments on this line, or any talk of it at all.

Just another one of life's little mysteries to mull over.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
There have been studies of turkey hunting accidents here in the U.S that have brought up some interesting points. (It is turkey hunters that are the ones most likely to be wearing camo.)

The most interesting thing discovered was that in most of the cases of one hunter accidentally shooting another hunter, the shooter was a veteran turkey hunter. Seldom was it a person new to hunting.

This seems, at first, to fly in the face of logic. However, the conclusion drawn, and I believe it to be a valid one, was that people new to hunting are looking for a turkey, and nothing but a turkey. Whereas, the experienced hunter who is likewise looking for a turkey, is also, more importantly, looking for movement, or the red or blue of a turkey's wattle. He is not so much looking for a turkey per se. Consequently, he is the one most likely to be fooled.

superc0ntra

Nomad
Sep 15, 2008
Sweden
I've seen a Swedish study on the psychology behind hunting accidents and the conclusion was that a lot of them happens because the hunter gets over excited when he hears or sees something and fires either more or less blindly at movement in the bush or without identifying the target.
Another point I found interesting was that there was a tendency to "see what you wanted to see" so a person in day-glow with a rifle was still a moose to the shooter at the time of firing.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Dressed like a goat? In season?

Oh... my... god...

Leaving aside the suicidal impulses of the guy in question, two tips for people who are new to deer hunting that will help you avoid getting shot by another hunter.

1) After you've been successful, if you are carrying your deer on your back back to camp, make sure to either bag it it or tie a lot of orange to it. Hunters have been shot carrying game back to camp because another (rash) hunter saw the head and antlers of harvested game on the backpack. This is a particularly big issue in an evening kill when the light is getting worse, not better.

This issue is a good argument for either dragging the deer or doing the cooling/quartering at the kill site (particularly easy if you've had a morning kill).

2) if you carry a set of antlers to rattle bucks in, put them in a cloth bag tied to your backpack. I've known two different people who have been shot at -- mercifully not hit -- when they carried rattling antlers lashed to the top frame bar on their backpacks.

Never forget there are a lot of well-armed new hunters out there who might take a shot any time they see a pair of antlers. Happily, hunters rash enough to take these shots are usually not very good aims, but all the same....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE