How's the weather ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Today we have snow. About 15cm/6" of the stuff, and though it's melted a little with the bright Sunshine this afternoon, it's clouded over again and it's just starting to flake again.It's brilliant snow for snowballs :) it's creaky underfoot and it sticks together well without being pressed hard into ice.
It's been a beautiful day, bright and Sunny. Such a pleasure after the grey gloom of the wet and overcast Winter.

The annual competition to name the Gritters and Snowploughs in Scotland is usually run through the local Primary Schools. With the restrictions of lockdown the competition was opened up online to everyone.

The direct link to the site showing where each of them is actually working, is here....

If someone knows the ones for England, Wales and Northern Ireland, please add :)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I wish we had some snow, it seems to be missing us at the moment with no sign of any coming. It's bitter cold though, I walked out this monring and it reminded me of living in Newfoundland

Marshall

Nomad
Jan 22, 2013
Gdańsk, Poland
www.AdamMarczak.com
It was -16°C on Sunday. Łomża, Poland.

20210207_spacer_lomza_0006.jpg

Today was -8°C, sun, snow. More snow.
I'm realy happy, because I'm a Subaru owner. :)

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Snow here in Doncaster for the last three days which isn’t normal.
We are sheltered by the Pennines and the peaks normally so never really get much...a changing world?!!

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Down in Devon in the UK it's miserable.. or rather, I'm miserable... It's dry and cold but not a hint of snow! Even my local haunt Dartmoor hasn't had a decent dusting from the so called "Beast from the East 2"..

Like @Marshall I'm also a Subaru owner (Forester), haven't every had a good chance to play in the snow with that!!
*Moan moan grump grump*

Reactions: Erbswurst

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
2°C Overcast with a bitter N.Easterly. It actually snowed for about 10 minutes this afternoon. Freezing rain is forecast for during the night.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
'Kin cold and blowing a gale, to learn this night, nearby Dartmoor is on fire to the tune of some 5km in area, What caused it, nobody yet knows but speculation suggests it could be an example of a 'wildfire' often found in arctic or near arctic areas.

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
0°C (-6°C with wind chill factor ) Overcast with light rain in the afternoon. There are little icicles hanging off everything little icicles can hang off of.
The weather will be turning on sunday & next week the temps. will be back in double digits.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Quiet nice here around Berlin.
A bit snow everywhere, above zero in the bright sunshine, people walking around as if in holydays.
But immediatly with sunset it gets cold and during the night down to -13*C.

@Marshall, do you really use a hammock in this conditions? That's tough! I assume in your area it's even a bit colder than here.

Which equipment do you use for it?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cold and blowing a gale, to learn this night, nearby Dartmoor is on fire to the tune of some 5km in area, What caused it, nobody yet knows but speculation suggests it could be an example of a 'wildfire' often found in arctic or near arctic areas.

I saw that in the News, and earlier in the week the Scottish news had the fire service asking folks all along the West coast and the islands to be particularly careful about fires. The machair and the moorlands are bone dry.

M

Marshall

Nomad
Jan 22, 2013
Gdańsk, Poland
www.AdamMarczak.com
(...)
@Marshall, do you really use a hammock in this conditions? That's tough! I assume in your area it's even a bit colder than here.
Which equipment do you use for it?

@Erbswurst , now is -13°C here. But next night, when I will be on woods will be about -5°C, it's not so cold...
I will use hammock with underblanket fromDD Hammocks. And a tarp as a roof.
I have the DD Jura 2 sleeping bag and I will use some summer's sleeping bag on top.
A thermoactive underwear, woolen cap on a head, woolen socks, British Army ECW gloves on hands. That's all.

EDT: The weather forecast shows -13°C the next night.
OK, we can say it will be cold. :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE