How to treat a Woodlore knife handle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I remember reading about this too ... sounded like a few bad ones got out a while back. Rolling edges was a symptom I think?

However, I think it was pre-97 ... but just in case you are disappointed with your knife, feel free to send it to me for safe disposal :-D

Bagheera said:
Shaun,

Thanks a lot, I just don't know where the "rumors" started on some forum posts that Woodlore knives were really soft, 59 HrC is plenty hard, giving thoughness to the O1 while keeping a decent edge and ease of sharpening.

man, I'm getting happier every minute with my 1997 Woodlore knife :biggthump even if the necksheath is missing the firesteel holder.
When you use the firesteel a lot like I do it will probably drop out of the holder quiet quickly as it gets thinner, so I won't miss the Firesteel holder anyhow.

Cheers,

Baheera

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Adi007 said:
Firesteels normally wear down on one face anyway, leaving the diameter the same for a very long time.

but surely that's only if you use it on one side, although I do agree with Tone that the very top bit should stay fairly unused.

Bagheera

Forager
Jan 8, 2004
The Netherlands
home.kabelfoon.nl
Adi,

I try to rotate my Firesteel so not to flatten it on one side. I often use the back of an SAK sawblade to scrape sparks and that does hell of a job but also is aggressive on the firesteel.
Sofar I managed to use up 1 complete Firesteel and several quiet far but I gave those to some Scouts in need :-D

Cheers,

Bagheera

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Normally I carry two firesteels with me anyway ... one backup on the sheath and one that I use a hacksaw blade on ... that combo creates sparks that you could lauch the space shuttle with!

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I thought about this firesteel falling out under wear issue and came up with a simple solution. If you put a loop of cord through the firesteel, that is long enough to loop back over the holder in the sheath, but tight enough to hold it secure, I cant see there being a problem. See in this pic...

wswood4.jpg

You can just slip the loop off the sheath and then pull out the firesteel - dead easy, putting it back in is just the reverse. Even if the firesteel is well worn and loose in the holder, this loop should hold it securely in place.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Martyn - is that the bottom of the firesteel sticking out of the bottom of the loop for it? Looks pointy!

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
My main one looks like it's been ploughed! I'll try and get a pic of it later (need one for an article on my website anyway).

Bagheera said:
Adi,

I try to rotate my Firesteel so not to flatten it on one side. I often use the back of an SAK sawblade to scrape sparks and that does hell of a job but also is aggressive on the firesteel.
Sofar I managed to use up 1 complete Firesteel and several quiet far but I gave those to some Scouts in need :-D

Cheers,

Bagheera

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Adi007 said:
Martyn - is that the bottom of the firesteel sticking out of the bottom of the loop for it? Looks pointy!

No, it's not the firesteel, but it does look like it doesnt it. It's the melted end of the cord loop poking out from behind, where the knot is.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Martyn said:
I thought about this firesteel falling out under wear issue and came up with a simple solution. If you put a loop of cord through the firesteel, that is long enough to loop back over the holder in the sheath, but tight enough to hold it secure, I cant see there being a problem. See in this pic...

wswood4.jpg

You can just slip the loop off the sheath and then pull out the firesteel - dead easy, putting it back in is just the reverse. Even if the firesteel is well worn and loose in the holder, this loop should hold it securely in place.

I hope that your kit is going to look used at some time :rolmao:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Yeah, I was thinking how virgin it all looked :mrgreen:

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
:p :p :p

It'll probably look used when I get to use it when the weather gets a bit warmer - sorry, no tough as nails woodlander here, just a pansy fair-weather camper. :-D . Besides, trust me when I say that the maple WS woodlore "don' look like that no mo'" :-D :-D

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Either way it's good to have a picture of your kit "as it once was" ... :-D :rolmao:

Jan 13, 2004
Czech Republic
You shouldn't have any problem if you attatch some velcro to the flat side of the f.steel handle and the sheath (I used superglue - I could equally have sewn it - on my HK34 Mora steel 5" knife sheath. I would have had serious problems by now if i had not - it is about 3mm in diameter at the centre after all the use!!).

good firestarting!

bushman.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hey all,
I am a newcomer to this forum, and am already impressed. Someone mentioned that the Micarta Wilkinson sword woodlore knife has had a few problems, could anyone let me know what they were as i am wanting to buy one.

Thanks. Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Jake Rollnick said:
Hey all,
I am a newcomer to this forum, and am already impressed. Someone mentioned that the Micarta Wilkinson sword woodlore knife has had a few problems, could anyone let me know what they were as i am wanting to buy one.

Thanks. Regards,

Jake Rollnick

Hi Jake, no problems really, just a few inconsistencies in the manufacture. They all can do what they claim out of the box, but many have found that some "extra work" is desireable to get the blade *just so*.

See..

http://www.bushcraftuk.co.uk/community/viewtopic.php?t=433&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=80

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Oi I was just about to say that :f:

If there was an actual problem it was with the first batch of the maple handled knives. Which they are replacing http://www.bushcraftuk.co.uk/community/viewtopic.php?t=713

There has been some disappointment due to the fact that the Micarta knives are not finished to the same standard as the Maple, everyone thought that the blades would be exactly the same but they are generally not as well finished.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
The bottom line is also that the markup on the micarta model must be a lot higher than on the maple handle (or the markup on the maple handle one is awful) because when you add up the poorer finish and the more inferior sheath, the maple handled ones are by far a better deal (unless you get them wet :lol: ...)

Anyone had a new, improved one yet and tried it?? :?: Hvae the handle issues been cured?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE