How to set up a Parachute shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gabe

Forager
Aug 10, 2008
Bridgend, South Wales
Hello all,

A few of us have been umming and arring about getting ourselves a parachute to cover the 'admin' area of our camps. I saw the big one set up in the fort at last years bushmoot and thats the kind of set up we are on about. However is anyone able to give a quick guide on how to go about setting it up like that. The one we have looked at is - http://tinyurl.com/yfxfzku - How do we set it up so the hole at the top stays open so the fire smoke can rise?

Many thanks in advance.

Gabe

Gabe

Forager
Aug 10, 2008
Bridgend, South Wales
My main issue is the hole in the middle. Do you just gather the material up, tie a rope on and throw it over a tree, or string it up in the middle of two trees by throwing a rope over either one? (Like a tarp, rope from one tree to another with the 'chute in the middle)

Does the hole need to be open for the fire? Thats my main concern? I know its going to be a good height above the fire (so probably not going to get hot enough to melt) but I dont want it to fill with hot air and keep 'ballooning'.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
I just gather the material up, tie a rope on and throw it over a tree...
09052009775-1.jpg

Twodogs

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
For a communal area we just have a loop of cord in the centre top (tied to stubs left from the original cords) and have a peice of paracord through this and tied off to two trees, then the sides are guyed out so the chute forms a roof.
This is high enough so that the fire does not melt the chute and smoke can dispurse.It is suprising how much heat is kept in even though the sides are about 4-5 foot off the ground - or even higher!

Gabe

Forager
Aug 10, 2008
Bridgend, South Wales
For a communal area we just have a loop of cord in the centre top (tied to stubs left from the original cords) and have a peice of paracord through this and tied off to two trees, then the sides are guyed out so the chute forms a roof.
This is high enough so that the fire does not melt the chute and smoke can dispurse.It is suprising how much heat is kept in even though the sides are about 4-5 foot off the ground - or even higher!

John, Spot on, thats what I've been trying to find out. Thank you very much.

I'll speak to the guys and see if we can get it in time for next weekend now!!! Woohoo!!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE