How to remove plastic firesteel handle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jacko

Life Member
Aug 3, 2004
SHROPSHIRE
:confused: Got a couple of firesteels with plastic handles on and was wondering the best way of taking the plastic off. Any ideas folks?
Have done a search, but all a bit 'iffy'. Thought about perhaps boiling the handle in water to soften the glue, but would this poss' damage the steel?
HELP!!

Cheers,

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I'm no expert, but I'd attempt to pull it off with pliers or failing that use a hacksaw on it. Subtlety was never my strong point. :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I suppose the question is "why"?

A Fireball flint (big firesteel without a handle) cost £5 or £6. You can then handle it in the finish of your choice with a 9.5mm drill bit...

Check out the thread on "pimp my firesteel"

Red

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Just clamp the rod in a vice, grab the plastic bit with some pliers and twist until you crack the glue, then pull it off.....no need for heating or boiling or anything else, just brute strength and ignorance! lol :lmao:

It's really as simple as that mate :)

Cheers,

Bam. :D

Jacko

Life Member
Aug 3, 2004
SHROPSHIRE
Right, cheers guys, I can feel a can of Iron Bru coming on and a bit of a play in the shed!!! :)

Thanks for replying so quick, the last week is the first time I have actually been on any forum (rather than just reading it), and it really is a great resource. Well done to all you regulars!
:You_Rock_

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
British Red said:
I suppose the question is "why"?

A Fireball flint (big firesteel without a handle) cost £5 or £6. You can then handle it in the finish of your choice with a 9.5mm drill bit...

Check out the thread on "pimp my firesteel"

Red

Any chance of a link to them Red?

I bought one a while ago and it turned out to be too small for my sheath. :(

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wow that's a good price Phil. I've never used theirs but if they are good, you would struggle to get a better price

For a one off Zammo, ask Andrew at "outdoorcode" for a "Fireball flint"

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE