How to protect cameras battery in winter cold?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stafass

Mar 20, 2012
Planet Earth
Hi,

I was out in the woods on a weekend and it was -10. So my cameras, Nikon D40, battery didn't last more than 30 minutes. Any thoughts how to avoid this?

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Firstly are the batteries correct,are they AA or AAA or a lithium battery inside the camera?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Stafass,
I used to tape either those dispossable handwarmers or the charcoal rod ones to the back of my camera in really cold conditions (back when we used film and it went brittle in the cold) and it also served to keep the batteries (and my nose) warm whilst out.
Hope this is a help?
Goatboy.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
My Russian cameras had connectors for external battery packs that were intended to be kept inside your clothing in very cold weather, like the one that Wayland describes. This was back in the early 90s, batteries were ordinary (non-rechargeable) kind, and the main problem after that was the film becoming brittle in the cold.

stafass

Mar 20, 2012
Planet Earth
Battery is 1,000 mAh lithium-ion EN-EL9. I doubt i can connect any external batteries in this case. So probably the best way is to try to keep my battery in the pocket while not taking any pictures or use hand warmers... Thank you all for advises.

P.S. Happy holly days :)

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
A batter grip is one way as suggested (no idea if the linked on is any good.

The old method is to have two batteries and keep inside your clothing swapping them regularly.

Marshall

Nomad
Jan 22, 2013
Gdańsk, Poland
www.AdamMarczak.com
Battery grip with AA batteries isn't bad, but a 2nd charged battery is the best solution.
Two weeks ago I was 3 days non-stop outside and at a temperature from -10 to -6 degrees I made more than 400 shots with two batteries.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE