How to pack a backpack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

_Geraint_

Feb 8, 2008
Lancashire
I've had a search and a google but I cant really find any good guide on the best way to pack a backpack with around 3 days worth of items. (food not included)

Naturally there's more than one way to skin a bunny, but what's the best way? :D

By which I mean, where should various items go...

Cheers.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I posted this a while back, its based on suggestions from the instructors on the Woodlore Fundamental course...

packing_a_sabre45_rucksack.jpg

Additionally you will find some good ideas on this site...

http://www.backpacking.net/

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
General consensus, for as far as I've heard, is you should pack with ease of use and weight balancing in mind.
Basically put the heaviest gear high and close to your back and try do distribute evenly horizontally as well to keep your body in balance. Put your FAK and rain clothing easily accessible, just like food which you intend to consume during the day. Water should also always be easily accessible to make sure you drink enough...

My personal pack (highlander 88) configuration:
Main compartment:
-Lowest in the bag: sleeping bag and mat (take quite a lot of space so are light weight/volume wise) as well as evening clothes (as in: stuff I wear to sleep and put on after washing, after the tent has been set up)
-on top of it: my cooking gear and food which will be consumed in the evening or morning (while the tent is drying) as well as reserves for following days
-higher: tent or hammock (weighs quite a lot and will be taken out of the rucksack before the cooking gear anyway)
-above: food for use during the day
-on top of that: my rain coat (+ waterproof overtrousers) and, if needed, a warm sweater for daytime use
-finally: big water bottles

Front pocket: FAK, torch, sun glasses, ... (small stuff which should be easily accessible)

Side pockets: gloves, socks, underwear, and food which will be eaten without really stopping

Top pocket: raincover for the rucksack (might put waterproofs in here too, don't really know if there's enough space)

On the chest and lower straps, I hang a small water bottle and the sunglasses if not used for a couple of seconds as well as my compass.

Quite obvious once you get out to use your gear really... (others might obviously have different patterns depending on their usage, so I wouldn't say this is THE best configuration)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
This is how I pack my kit.

One hour before leaving, throw as much clobber into a few bags as you can. Doesn't matter how much kit or how many bags, The Ratbag is a strong lad! :D Oh, and you're bound to forget something, so pack the booze first! :D

Pantalaimon

Forager
May 19, 2008
Utrecht, Netherlands
First aid must be close to hand, but it's often irritating to get it in your hands while you don't need it.
My backpack has a harness before it. I put my waterproof(small drybag) firstaidkit behind it and with one click I can pull my kit free and open.

Pang

Forager
Sep 8, 2007
london
packing a bag, is a great art. YOu'd be amazed at how much you could squeeze into a 65ltr bag if you pack things right!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
.... where should various items go....

The distribution can depend on the terrain you're going to be travelling.
For normal, up-right, walking the 'weight' is (usually) more comfortable higher up and quite close in. This keeps the weight close to your center of gravity as you move along.
Activity involving a lot more crouching and leaning (e.g. scrambling or ducking and diving under and over fallen trees and/or their limbs) leads to varying your center of gravity. Under these circumstances many find that they are more comfortable having the weight nearer their hips - think about how unstable it can feel when climbing over an object when wearing a pack with the weight near the top.
Basically, at the end of the day, it's a trade off between comfort, stability and personal preference.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
For average terrain - put what you need last in camp (sleeping bag and spare clothes) in first, the items you need first in camp (shelter) at the top, those you will need during the day or emergency (lunch, water, FAK, waterproofs, hat, gloves, scarf, spare warm wear in winteretc) in the pockets or under the lid of the pack, stove and fuel etc go just below your shelter (you want them just after you get your shelter pitched), your mat goes folded against your back for extra padding on bags with little integral padding (for comforts sake) or in with your bedding, Nav kit, camera and often used bits in your clothing pockets.
Works for me! And it tends to put heavy kit at the top, light kit at the bottom for stability...

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
For average terrain - put what you need last in camp (sleeping bag and spare clothes) in first, the items you need first in camp (shelter) at the top, those you will need during the day or emergency (lunch, water, FAK, waterproofs, hat, gloves, scarf, spare warm wear in winteretc) in the pockets or under the lid of the pack, stove and fuel etc go just below your shelter (you want them just after you get your shelter pitched), your mat goes folded against your back for extra padding on bags with little integral padding (for comforts sake) or in with your bedding, Nav kit, camera and often used bits in your clothing pockets.
Works for me! And it tends to put heavy kit at the top, light kit at the bottom for stability...

What he said :)

your mat goes folded against your back for extra padding on bags with little integral padding (for comforts sake)

If the main compartment of your pack is tall enough, try rolling your mat and then expanding it inside so that the mat provides padding around the whole inside wall.

Purchase a roll of B&Q rubble sacks or similar, then half push an opened sack into the mouth of your pack, then stuff your spare clothes into that rubble sack pushing the whole lot to the bottom of the pack, pack your sleeping bag in the same fashion. The rolled up sleeping mat will expand to fit the available inside diameter of the pack and will protect the seams of the pack from too much stress when your compressing your clothes and sleeping bag at the bottom of the sack.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
pack however suits you!
but as a general rule pack the stuf youl need first at the top and anything you need to get to quickly in the outside pockets.

from top to bottom i usualy pack-
waterproofs and warm kit
tarp
bivi bag, sleeping bag and role mat (i usualy have these together as a bed role)
spair cloths

in pockets
knife, saw and other tools
first aid kit, must be easy to get to!
water bottle and mug
billy can/mess tins
stove

i wouldnt recomend straping anything to the outside

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Ahh, the noble art of kit packing....

This may be a bit skewed towards expeditions rather than hiking in for a couple of days in the woods but here goes:

Waterproof everything.
Try to keep the centre of mass up and close to your back.
Be organised about things you may want to get to quickly.

A general set-up for me goes something like:

Top pocket, outside: Walking fodder.
Key pocket: Torch, compass, lip salve.
Top pocket inside: Blister plasters, Emergency rat pack

Left Pocket: Hat, Gloves, Shemagh
Right Pocket: FAK, survival bag, 2 glowsticks.

Main Compartment: Roughly top to bottom:
Extra layers of clothing
Waterproofs
Food
Spare clothing
Secret stash of 'morale' choclate
Sleeping bag

On the zippers I use these sort of things:

http://www.nightgear.co.uk/sc/276/Kit-Markers-|-Glowrings.htm

No connection ETC, just someone who came to mind as having the things and I may have bought stuff from.

In the main compartment, I keep categories of stuff in separate waterproof bags. As an easily confused Dyslexic, I tend to follow the same pattern of packing regardless of which rucsac and what the trip is.

Have fun.

I'd agree with everything said below, just a couple of things to add:

Once packed, put your sack on and carry it around for a bit (incl. up & down stairs a few times) - this should help you identify if there's anything you're not happy with.

Also, regard the distinction of 'heavy kit', it's worthwhile considering this in relation to an items size as it may be heavier just because its bigger - but in reality (due to its density) it weighs more for the volume consumed.

I hope that makes sense and is of some use.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Do many folk get rid of the compression sacks that come with everything these days. I got told about this on a course a few years ago and have done it myself ever since. You get rid of that awkward lump in the bottom of your pack which can only go in a couple of different ways.

Packing order for me goes something like this ....

- Dry liner into empty pack
- Uncompressed sleeping bag squashed down into bottom
- Uncompressed underblanket squashed down
- Change of clothes in carrier bag next
- Billy cans containing food in stuff sack
- Stuff bag with essentials in
- Knife & saw
- Ventile & Buffallo or swannie
- Dry bag with hammock and cordage
- ! Litre Sigg water bottle

That`s the main compartment full so I close up the dry liner. Then I put in my waterproof pants in and close it up.

Sometimes I might have my kelly kettle sat under the lid.

In the top lid goes

- Tarp with cordage attached in mini dry bag
- First Aid kit
- Notebook & pencil
- Munchies

On my person will be a map & compass, another knife with firesteel, mini microlight attached to trouser pocket, tinder pouch, baccy and lighter.

When I get to camp first thing out is the tarp, then I put up the hammock, I then clip my pack to a tree off the ground using cord and a carabiner. Then I can empty everything else into the hammock whilst I sort out what I need.

By the time that`s done the kelly has bolied and it`s time to sit back with a brew.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Open top, sling it in and do it up!

That was my daughters slant on it while doing her DofE.

She learnt very quickly that she should listen to the old bald fart who knows nothing. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE