New Backpack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

StevieE

Forager
Jul 15, 2021
Bridgend, South Wales
I know this has been done to death but I'm looking for a new backpack for overnighters. Currently have a Pentegan Leon (too small even with Molle pouches) and a Berghaus 90ltr pack (too big). Not looking to spend more than around 50-60. Anyone had any experience with the Decathalon rucksacks or should I just bite the bullet and go for a second hand Dutch Sting from MM or Endis? Just tarp, cooking materials and food, spare clothing, sleep bag, mat, poles, usual stuff to be packed in it.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
At the size you are looking for (45-60L?) and at that price point, I would suggest a good second hand pack.
New ones at that size and price may not be the best quality, so I'd avoid.
As for which pack that should be...well, you'll get as many suggestions as there are posters.
So go with what you like the look of and, if you can try it on, what you find most comfortable.

Reactions: StevieE

StevieE

Forager
Jul 15, 2021
Bridgend, South Wales
Cheers Wander. Yeah its going to be around 45-60l I'm looking at. Used to be a hunting pack around that size on Decathalon but I cant find it now so not sure if its been discontinued.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Dutch Sting if you can get one (Or the cheaper MFH copy) is a blinder for a HD pack. Love it.
Decathlon have some good stuff too............also Osprey?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My expedition pack is hopelessly large, I know only that it easily holds 2 cases of wine. I used cardboard boxes to bulk out the bottom void space when packing for short trips.
Quick and dirty measurement of a wine box says the pack is about 60 liters.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
For usual British weather conditions and general purpose use in your price range the Dutch army Sting is without any doubt the best choice if you can't get a used Karrimor SF Sabre 45 with side pouches.

You need to pack approximately the equipment below, that's why Karrimor SF Sabre 45 with side pouches or Dutch army Sting are the best choices.

The Sting is a bit larger than the Sabre 45 here in the video below. You can pack your stuff as practical as shown here, and could even manage to put in there a tent and the rather bulky but cheap available current military surplus equipment. If you want to pack more compact you need to invest in pretty expensive equipment.

Berghaus Vulcan and especially Atlas 4 would be alternatives but they are much larger and surely not so easy to find for that price and in good conditions.
The large British army infantry Bergans are cheap but huge and heavy.

Last edited:

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Get an old Cyclops Roc they are the precursor to the Crusader then Vulcan. They are about 65 ltrs and you can pick them up off EBay for £40-£50

Reactions: StevieE

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
What Erbs says: the Sting is a blinder of a pack and with an adjustable back height: essential in my book for any pack with serious pretensions. The British bergens whilst robust are not adjustable.................

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE